Conversion aid for ROSCOE RPF's to TSO CLISTS or TSO REXX EXECS

Hessong, Keith

Dec 12, 2007, 3:42:40 PM12/12/07
Greetings:

The shop that I work at is facing a conversion from ROSCOE to TSO.

This brings with it the fact of having to convert ROSCOE RPF's to TSO
CLISTS or TSO REXX EXECS.

We have a great number of ROSCOE RPF's to convert.

I am looking for a 3rd party software product that may help us
accomplish this or someone who has already done this that might be
willing to share the code that they used to do this.

Thanks,

Keith Hessong

(317) 715-7681

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be
used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.

send email to LIST...@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Mickey

Dec 12, 2007, 5:54:53 PM12/12/07
Hi Keith,

I went through this process a few years ago. My client also looked for a
tool, but nothing decent was found, so I was brought in to do it with edit
macros to generate the code and the ISPF screens.

Mickey

enneisirap

Dec 13, 2007, 3:51:28 AM12/13/07
hi keith....

we went through the same process two years ago.
it's like mickey wrote there was nothing decent around.

we ended up in rewriting the RPF's in REXX.
which was a good solution as we improved a lot of scripts
in favor of the users.

regards

ivan

Gray, Alastair

Dec 13, 2007, 4:27:18 AM12/13/07
Long, long, long time since I did this one ... (just checked, 20+
years!).

My 5 centimes worth (don't do coins any smaller locally).

1. Review the RPFs and make a list of the ones you really need to
convert. This will certainly be less than the total available.
2. Set up some form of logging to record when the RPFs are used - I seem
to recall writing a bunch of stub RPFs that logged their use, then
pointed to the original RPF - this also involved some 'playing around'
with the shared libraries. It may be that ROSCOE has moved on and you
can do this more easily now, or maybe I misremember how I did it then -
I could be thinking about something else!
3. Review the output from 2 and then reduce the number of items in the
list generated in 1.
4. Spend some time properly reviewing the features available in TSO/ISPF
and then re-review the list of RPFs to be converted. Some of those
'handy tools' will be redundant.
5. Consider what additional training is required for the current users
of the RPFs when moving to TSO/ISPF and then re-review the list to be
converted again. It's better to re-train for the new environment than to
try and recreate the old.
6. Rewrite any remaining required RPFs in REXX.

All 'shops' have their archives of code hanging around. Take the
opportunity to start clean (But keep a backup of the old - in a PDS -
just in case!)

Good luck,

Alastair

<snip>

> The shop that I work at is facing a conversion from ROSCOE to TSO.

<snip>

> We have a great number of ROSCOE RPF's to convert.

<snip>

Hamilton, Robert L

arlen stovall

Dec 14, 2007, 7:53:43 PM12/14/07
Keith, you might want to check out this URL.

http://www.1001annonces.com/1001newsgroups/lmess.php?name=bit.listserv.ibm-main&first=561&last=600#

--
Thanks
Arlen Stovall