Fw: Sort capacity exceeded didn't ABEND job

William M. Klein

Jun 5, 2003, 4:41:21 PM6/5/03
Greg,
My guess is exactly the OPPOSITE of Frank's. My guess is that the
programmer has ADDED a reference to the COBOL "SORT-Return" special register
- and that it is this (new) reference that causes the program to continue
execution. See:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/igy3lr10/1.2.8.13

which says (in part)

"SORT-RETURN special register ... It contains a return code of 0
(successful) or 16 (unsuccessful) at the completion of a sort/merge
operation. If the sort/merge is unsuccessful and there is no reference to
this special register anywhere in the program, a message is displayed on the
terminal."

The logic behind this is that *IF* the program makes an explicit reference
to SORT-RETURN, then it is EXPECTED that the program "wants" to take
specific "error" processing logic. If, on the other hand, there is NO
reference to SORT-RETURN, then it is assumed that the program wants to take
SORT's "default" (i.e. ABEND) action.

"Frank Yaeger" <yae...@US.IBM.COM> wrote in message
..
> Greg Shirey wrote:
>
> >We had a batch job running an internal COBOL sort, and it put out this
> >message:
> >
> >ICE046A 0 SORT CAPACITY EXCEEDED - RECORD COUNT 3858551
> >
> >The job returned a condition code of 0 in this step and kept running, but
> >the results weren't very good.
> >
> >The fine manual states that the program will terminate if this message is
> >generated, which would have been preferable... Is there a parameter in
> >DFSORT that kept the job from abending?
>
> For ICE046A, DFSORT either terminates with RC=16 (if NOABEND is in effect)
> or abends (if ABEND is in effect). DFSORT passes the RC=16 back to the
> COBOL program. I would guess that the COBOL program is NOT checking the
RC
> from DFSORT, and is just passing back RC=0 instead of passing back RC=16.
>
> Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM)
> Specialties: ICETOOL, OUTFIL, Symbols, Migration

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Clark F. Morris, Jr.

Jun 6, 2003, 7:49:18 AM6/6/03
On the SORT-RETURN question, SYNCSORT at least up until release 3.6 had
2 default settings, one for JCL invoked sorts and one for program
invoked sorts. When I was in charge of installation of sort, JCL was
set to abend while program invoked sorts got the return code of 16.
Since SORT-RETURN is a COBOL function the handling referred to by the
book below is a COBOL handling and is from a COBOL manual this action
should be the same for both major sort packages. Also note that the
issuing of a message doesn't imply abend after issuance. See below for
history if you haven't been following the thread.

Clark Morris, CFM Technical Programming Services Inc.

Reda, John

Jun 6, 2003, 9:27:19 AM6/6/03
Clark,

The installation option you are referring to are RC16=ABE or NOABE. This
controls whether a user abend 16 or a return code of 16 will be issued for
an unsuccessful JCL invoked sort. The PGMRC16 option controls this
processing for program invoked sorts. As you had said this allows a site to
have different default options for JCL and programmed invoked sorts. Many
of our customers have their options set to allow JCL invoked sort to return
with a RC16 while their programmed invoked sorts will end with a user abend
16.

John Reda
Software Services Manager
Syncsort Inc.
201-930-8260

Frank Yaeger

Jun 6, 2003, 12:30:12 PM6/6/03
Clark Morris wrote:

>On the SORT-RETURN question, SYNCSORT at least up until release 3.6 had
>2 default settings, one for JCL invoked sorts and one for program
>invoked sorts.

For the record, you can set 8 separate sets of installation defaults with
DFSORT as follows:
1. JCL - batch direct invocation defaults
2. INV - batch program invocation defaults
3. TSO - TSO direct invocation defaults
4. TSOINV - TSO program invocation defaults
5-8. TD1-TD4 - time-of-day defaults

You can set ERET=RC16 or ERET=ABEND (or any other ICEMAC option) as
appropriate for each of these.

For complete details, see Chapter 5 of "DFSORT Installation and
Customization" at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ICECI107/2.2?DT=20020718103509

=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort