Data Set can't be deleted

Dextergns

May 6, 2002, 2:39:30 AM5/6/02

For me, the system cloning is not a happy journey, obviously, I got some trouble:

First I use ADRDSSU to copy source RES volume OS1RES to target TSTRES, at dataset level, recat the datasets to target master catalog. I got some problem with some datasets, the message code is ADR439E, reason code is 60, then I decided to delete all datasets which had been copied successfully, but failed to delete some datasets, messages said:

IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 102 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLFM-7

I checked DFSMSdfp Diagnosis Reference, it pointed out "The format-1 DSCB was not deleted because the data set was open".

ISPF 3.4, gave the volume serial, tried to delete one of the datasets, said "data set in use", PF1 twice gave me this information:

Data Set Contention
Command ===>
More: +
Data set 'DEXTER.LOADLIB'
is in use by the following 2 user(s) and/or job(s):
DEX ADMST1

yes, this library was allocated in the ISPLLIB concatenation, but that's on source RES volume OS1RES, I just copied it from OS1RES to target volume TSTRES, how could the system open tow library at the same time? I appreciate your help.

Dex

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Itschak Mugzach

May 6, 2002, 3:51:39 AM5/6/02
So you have 2 choices: to logon without the ispplib concatenation or install
a program (I think the CBTTAPE.ORG has one) that ignore the Enque for
selected datasets.

Itschak

Dextergns

May 6, 2002, 4:09:09 AM5/6/02
so weird, under what circumstance the system copy the dataset, grasp it, don't let go? I suspect if I re-ipl the system, I can delete this datasets.

Thanks

Dex

>So you have 2 choices: to logon without the ispplib concatenation or install
>a program (I think the CBTTAPE.ORG has one) that ignore the Enque for
>selected datasets.
>
>Itschak

Francois LE MANER

May 6, 2002, 4:54:20 AM5/6/02
> how could the system open tow library at the same time?

the system doesn't open 2 libraries at the same time

it's just that the ENQueue is done on dataset name , the volser is not
taken in account

DFSMS release 10 allows this kind of operation for system cloning

see topic "Rename function for duplicate data set names" in DFSMS migration

STGADMIN.DPDSRN.olddsname
Controls the ability to rename a non-SMS-managed data set whose
name is in use in another address space.

Dextergns

May 6, 2002, 6:53:01 AM5/6/02
HI,

I finally find a program in CBT file 183, BYPASSNQ, said "They sometimes face a situation where they
have to delete or rename a data set not currently allocated to anyone but which they can't delete
because it has the same name as another data set which (1) exists on a different disk volume and
(2) is currently allocated to a long-running task." , BYPASSNQ works great.

Thank you all

Dex

Matthew Stitt

May 6, 2002, 11:25:01 AM5/6/02
Dextergns wrote:

It's because the system enqueues with the dataset name and does not include the VOLSER. This makes life simpler and also tries to enforce the
cataloging of datasets under the proper search criteria.

Edward Gould

May 6, 2002, 11:37:35 AM5/6/02
Francois LE MANER5/6/02 3:54 AM

>> how could the system open tow library at the same time?
>
> the system doesn't open 2 libraries at the same time
>
> it's just that the ENQueue is done on dataset name , the volser is not
> taken in account
>
> DFSMS release 10 allows this kind of operation for system cloning
>
> see topic "Rename function for duplicate data set names" in DFSMS migration
>
> STGADMIN.DPDSRN.olddsname
> Controls the ability to rename a non-SMS-managed data set whose
> name is in use in another address space.

------SNIP_______

Which is curious... Does anyone let SMS manage their SYSRES pack?

If so... it would seem on the surface that this is somewhat useless, NO?

Ed

Schwarz, Barry A

May 6, 2002, 2:56:36 PM5/6/02
Even though it is an SMS manual and uses an SMS RACF Facility, it is
designed for and works quite well on non-SMS data sets.

Barry Schwarz
OS/390 Systems Programmer
Phone: 253-773-4221
Fax: 253-773-1257
Mail stop: 80-JE
>> how could the system open tow library at the same time?
>
> the system doesn't open 2 libraries at the same time
>
> it's just that the ENQueue is done on dataset name , the volser is not
> taken in account
>
> DFSMS release 10 allows this kind of operation for system cloning
>
> see topic "Rename function for duplicate data set names" in DFSMS
migration

> STGADMIN.DPDSRN.olddsname
> Controls the ability to rename a non-SMS-managed data set whose
> name is in use in another address space.

------SNIP_______

Which is curious... Does anyone let SMS manage their SYSRES pack?

If so... it would seem on the surface that this is somewhat useless, NO?

mvssysprog

May 7, 2002, 10:02:55 AM5/7/02
I would take a hard look at your SYSRES cloning process. I am assuming
you use the SYSRES volume as a "container" for all the SMP/E managed
target libraries. These datasets would all be catalogued unit(000)
volser(******) so the datasets are catalogued to the SYSRES volume all
the time. There is never a requirement to recatalog a dataset during a
cloning process. When you are done with the old sysres, you do not
delete the datasets, you init the volume.

registration is required to reply to posts