Fwd: Developers say Google's Go is 'most sought after' programming language of 2020

Mark Regan

May 8, 2020, 12:05:35 PM5/8/20
https://www.zdnet.com/article/developers-say-googles-go-is-most-sought-after-programming-language-of-2020

or

*https://tinyurl.com/yaduy3gn* <https://tinyurl.com/yaduy3gn>

Regards,

Mark Regan, K8MTR

*CTO1 USNR-Retired, 1969-1991*
*Nationwide Insurance, Retired, 1986-2017*
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mark.t.regan
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-t-regan
Maranatha! <><

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Bill Seubert

May 8, 2020, 12:30:32 PM5/8/20
Relatedly:
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/

(I know there's a port on Git, but it's pretty old)

Bill Seubert
Lead Architect, IBM Z NA Technical Sales

Frank Swarbrick

May 9, 2020, 2:10:44 AM5/9/20
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/
IBM intends to enable Go on z/OS - Mainframe DEV<https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/>
IBM intends to enable a full native Go (or Golang) compiler on z/OS. IBM intends to enable a native Go (or Golang) compiler on z/OS, further strengthening its portfolio of compiler technologies and partnership with the open source community.
developer.ibm.com

________________________________
May 9, 2020, 5:42:40 AM5/9/20
The more modern languages supported on z/OS the better. Otherwise it
will just be viewed as a legacy platform and will slowly wither on vine.
You may find it
uninteresting but if we want to attract young people to the platform
it's going to need something a little bit more contemporary then COBOL,
HLASM and PL/1.

We're interested in Golang as important analytics stacks like
Prometheus/Grafana are written in the language. Not to mentioned Docker
and Hyperledger!

Jack J. Woehr

May 9, 2020, 12:54:14 PM5/9/20
On 5/9/20 1:58 AM, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
> Nearly as good as YAL (Yet Another Language).
>
> Well I downloaded, ran some code. Yawn. What's an old guy to do?

Don't underestimate Golang. It's an amazing language.

It's like the genetically groomed offspring of C++ and Java with the
best traits of both and the warts removed.

Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson were on the design team. One of those "If we
had known then what we know now" moments for the fathers of C.

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

Charles Mills

May 9, 2020, 1:44:09 PM5/9/20
+1

Everyone here who likes the general idea of a C++ type of language (HLASM and PL/I zealots need not apply!) but dislikes some or many of the specifics of C++ should check out Go. (The name of the language, as I understand it, is Go. Unfortunately the word Go is pretty heavily overloaded, which tends to make people call the language by the unambiguous name Golang. Golang.org is the Web site.) It is a compiled language, unlike Python.

Charles

On 5/9/20 1:58 AM, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
> Nearly as good as YAL (Yet Another Language).
>
> Well I downloaded, ran some code. Yawn. What's an old guy to do?

Don't underestimate Golang. It's an amazing language.

It's like the genetically groomed offspring of C++ and Java with the
best traits of both and the warts removed.

Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson were on the design team. One of those "If we
had known then what we know now" moments for the fathers of C.

scott Ford

May 9, 2020, 2:01:10 PM5/9/20
Charles,

I heard Go was supposed to be a good language to learn. Interestingly, I
read an article saying Python will take over from Java. Personally, I
learned Python liked it over java. I have to look at Go.

Scott
--
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS

Steve Smith

May 9, 2020, 2:02:37 PM5/9/20
I actually love HLASM, PL/I, and older versions of C++. C++ was a leader
in OO programming, but imho, it's gotten so stupefyingly complicated that
it's may not be humanly possible to write decent programs with it. Go
sounds like a pretty good reset, but at this point, I only know what I've
read about it.

It's name however, is horrible. Goo, Goog, or even G would have obviated
much ambiguity. As it is, they may be stuck with Golang being the common
name.

sas

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 1:44 PM Charles Mills <char...@mcn.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> Everyone here who likes the general idea of a C++ type of language (HLASM
> and PL/I zealots need not apply!) but dislikes some or many of the
> specifics of C++ should check out Go. (The name of the language, as I
> understand it, is Go. Unfortunately the word Go is pretty heavily
> overloaded, which tends to make people call the language by the unambiguous
> name Golang. Golang.org is the Web site.) It is a compiled language, unlike
> Python.
>
> Charles

scott Ford

May 9, 2020, 2:22:50 PM5/9/20
Steve,

I also rather enjoyed HLASM and PL/1. I am self-taught in several
programming languages, so learned C kinda on the fly, but really liked it.
I liked the structured macros in HLASM also. Makes life easier.

Scott
--
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS

Jack J. Woehr

May 9, 2020, 2:43:24 PM5/9/20
On 5/9/20 12:00 PM, scott Ford wrote:
> Charles,
>
> I heard Go was supposed to be a good language to learn. Interestingly, I
> read an article saying Python will take over from Java. Personally, I
> learned Python liked it over java. I have to look at Go.

Python is a wonderful language both for routine scripting (it's
conquering IBM i at the moment) and for scientific computing (see IBM
Qiskit for IBM Quantum Computing).

Go is a compiled systems language which is as powerful and efficient as
C/C++ while much more easy than C or Java to write and build your
applications.

Go is the only serious competition in the wide world for Node.js for
authoring microservices.

The New York Times web is built entirely on Go-coded microservices.
Attended when the project leaders spoke at Denver Gophers on the subject.

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan

Charles Mills

May 9, 2020, 2:44:50 PM5/9/20
+1 on the name.

I read an article on branding once that said if consumers can mess up your name, they will, so be aware of that when you pick a name. The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is universally known in the SF Bay Area as "East Bay Mud."

Goo, with its nod to "++", Google and "object oriented" would have been a great name, had they had a sense of humor.

G would be good, with its homage to C and its predecessor B.

Charles

Paul Gilmartin

May 9, 2020, 3:51:26 PM5/9/20
On Sat, 9 May 2020 11:44:42 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>+1 on the name.
>
>I read an article on branding once that said if consumers can mess up your name, they will, so be aware of that when you pick a name. The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is universally known in the SF Bay Area as "East Bay Mud."
>
>Goo, with its nod to "++", Google and "object oriented" would have been a great name, had they had a sense of humor.
>
>G would be good, with its homage to C and its predecessor B.

But they're terrible search keys unless your command syntax
supports a mixture of whole-word and substring keys. I know
of none that do.

-- gil

scott Ford

May 9, 2020, 4:00:04 PM5/9/20
Jack,

Personally, I think *sometimes people write in what they know. If they know
C it’s C or if they know JavaScript , it’s JavaScript. I know companies
aren’t paying for education, which I feel ultimately hurts them in a lot of
ways. I learned C and experimented on Z/OS and liked its abilities in
threading etc. I know Charles enjoys C ++ , I think that’s great , haven’t
per se learned it yet.

Scott
--
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS

Charles Mills

May 9, 2020, 4:04:06 PM5/9/20
Not sure what you mean. I just searched Google on G and got good hits: letter, subway line, some Korean pop thing. Ditto Goo, the gummy liquid and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Charles

On Sat, 9 May 2020 11:44:42 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>+1 on the name.
>
>I read an article on branding once that said if consumers can mess up your name, they will, so be aware of that when you pick a name. The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is universally known in the SF Bay Area as "East Bay Mud."
>
>Goo, with its nod to "++", Google and "object oriented" would have been a great name, had they had a sense of humor.
>
>G would be good, with its homage to C and its predecessor B.

But they're terrible search keys unless your command syntax
supports a mixture of whole-word and substring keys. I know
of none that do.

Mark Regan

Jack J. Woehr

May 9, 2020, 4:20:08 PM5/9/20
On 5/9/20 1:59 PM, scott Ford wrote:
> Personally, I think *sometimes people write in what they know.

It's good to get outside your zone sometimes. If you decide to do so,
both Python and Go are good choices!

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan

scott Ford

May 9, 2020, 5:12:45 PM5/9/20
Jack,

Oh yes, I agree, I had a friend say that GO and Python were great to learn,
I am open minded..

Scott
--
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS

Ed Jaffe

May 9, 2020, 5:58:31 PM5/9/20
On 5/9/2020 2:12 PM, scott Ford wrote:
> Oh yes, I agree, I had a friend say that GO and Python were great to learn,
> I am open minded..

Python is available on z/OS. Can Go availability be far behind?

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

This e-mail message, including any attachments, appended messages and the
information contained therein, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient or have otherwise
received this email message in error, any use, dissemination, distribution,
review, storage or copying of this e-mail message and the information
contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
of this email message and do not otherwise utilize or retain this email
message or any or all of the information contained therein. Although this
email message and any attachments or appended messages are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the
sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from its opening or use.

Alan Young

May 9, 2020, 6:03:59 PM5/9/20

There is a port but it is a couple of years old.

https://github.com/zos-go/go

IBM has a recent post about it coming to zOS.

https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/

________________________________
May 9, 2020, 8:46:19 PM5/9/20
Sometimes people write in what their employer knows. I once had to process SMF data in COBOL because the president of the company didn't like PL/I.

Given a free hand, I use the best tool for the job. I like PL/I and REXX a lot more than Perl, but I use Perl when I need, e.g., packages from CPAN.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

May 9, 2020, 8:49:41 PM5/9/20
"search engine": See "race to the bottom".

Remember that you are not the customer, you are the product. What I wouldn't give for a DWIS search engine that supported regexen!

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

May 9, 2020, 8:50:42 PM5/9/20
Not sure how it works under the covers but my "hello, world" test took
forever to run first time through.
--
Wayne V. Bickerdike

Seymour J Metz

May 9, 2020, 8:56:00 PM5/9/20
IMHO the real deficiencies in C++ are what it inherited from C.

As to the name Go, my only objection is that there was already a Go! language.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

May 9, 2020, 9:13:10 PM5/9/20
Good language to learn? Unless you have some way to predict the vagaries of fashion, pick languages that suit the tasks you want to deal with and that are available on your platforms. Don't choose or rule out Go based on its current or predicted popularity.

Python certainly has a lot of eyeballs, although I'm still seeing calls for PHP, which I had thought would be dead by now. Python and Ruby have respectable libraries of packages.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

May 9, 2020, 10:15:05 PM5/9/20
While I certainly like HLASM and PL/I, I am always interested in new languages. Try it, you might like it.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

wrote:

> https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/
> IBM intends to enable Go on z/OS - Mainframe DEV<
> https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2020/04/24/ibm-intends-to-enable-go-on-z-os/
> >
> IBM intends to enable a full native Go (or Golang) compiler on z/OS. IBM
> intends to enable a native Go (or Golang) compiler on z/OS, further
> strengthening its portfolio of compiler technologies and partnership with
> the open source community.
> developer.ibm.com
>

> ________________________________

n_GuUT_68B01UCHYcfg48A-MTUQtyMRDqgEPwr6yTycfn4pOpRU3LvJQ/https%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fyaduy3gn>

> Regards,
>
> Mark Regan, K8MTR
>
> *CTO1 USNR-Retired, 1969-1991*
> *Nationwide Insurance, Retired, 1986-2017*
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mark.t.regan
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-t-regan
> Maranatha! <><

> send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

> send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

--
Wayne V. Bickerdike

Timothy Sipples

May 10, 2020, 11:43:14 PM5/10/20
Shmuel Metz wrote:
>Now if they could just bring z/OS support for Kotlin, Lua,
>Perl, Raku, Ruby and Rust up to date ...
>Yes, bringing the port up to date includes first porting it ;-)

Let's take these in order....

1. As far as I know, as long as you use the Kotlin compiler to target a
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) -- the typical/usual pattern -- your
program will (also) run on z/OS. The basic command line compiler syntax is
as follows, assuming Kotlin source code in the file hello.kt:

kotlinc hello.kt -include-runtime -d hello.jar
java -jar hello.jar

There's also a potential future path that'll support Kotlin's LLVM target
(since z/OS now supports LLVM), but that's speculative.

2. There's a z/OS build of Lua available here:

http://lua4z.com

This is a circa 2014 build of Lua. Fundi Software created, maintains, and
supports this distribution, so if you'd like something newer then feel
free to inquire.

3. Rocket Software offers Perl for z/OS here (currently 5.24.0, which was
released on May 8, 2016):

https://www.rocketsoftware.com/zos-open-source

4. For Raku, go grab the Rakudo distribution and target a JVM
(--target=jar). Or use Rakudo.js to target Node.js (JavaScript) since
Node.js is available for z/OS:

https://www.ibm.com/products/sdk-nodejs-compiler-zos

To my knowledge there's no difficulty with either path.

5. JRuby is available:

https://www.jruby.org

The best implementation of Ruby for z/OS is probably currently the Docker
container image that runs in the z/OS Container Extensions:

https://hub.docker.com/_/ruby

6. Rust will need LLVM, now available on z/OS. However, you can already
compile and run Rust code via the z/OS Container Extensions.

- - - - - - - - - -
Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
- - - - - - - - - -
E-Mail: sip...@sg.ibm.com

Seymour J Metz

May 11, 2020, 5:51:16 AM5/11/20
The problem is that some of those are incomplete, not z/OS, or not up to date. I'd like to see z/OS positioned to use the full range of current implementations of popular languages and interpreters, e.g., MoarVM, Qobe. What I'd really like is for IBM et al to work with CPAN et al to get z/OS changes into the official code bases. Running in a container is certainly useful, but addresses a different problem.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1nKNP4GyvVRODUkXu1ywIAoH4u7BdSjxSdtc9G7Wxk2MvWkEN9j0Oy-x-8l3-rQnmy1X1w39ORA6BC8MWoP1jX3BWYSyeXJvhCMD5w99Alza7MY2o4jR0B30n9uTrG8esQlkZaofUgwa_ETYgm65yhdpDvq4gvRdnBzmmRo3KK9zCdVCfDNojjmpBXbT5AkSfdQip-rt7HjxDpyRX_XcINCtGpW3YeH4V9p-O1ReDBAGy6iPTLHs4gtuYxiHqdrmpu5kYEdwHPZA4j8u2ctJ6N5lgsZIVoFyx4_pm0o-KEOV1SK9mtqooNKydOi5NFzOKHdEzZ9wh7fCD8xh1qCGgzazC3yya21X6nDwLWXcmwEXx8yAbZ8ISI9qqfq_vfdeTbH0umh9YtgXMvr8xNxqHgdTHqSOwtNxLlqibyLCubxx3w2ZRNL-o1oxXPn695zap/http%3A%2F%2Flua4z.com

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1alV14CozZPvgagoYhec5SZzxxXLY2QZW5Lh-LpUivj4Jo1Yq5pgL0CPhr2fdPSW5aEZJbt1QJYO8mF5VhTj2twyVeUn7SGtZ57viHj9fgJ_YsvpB-0FGX9flIi7tZNfOWX3ZcS3Z7W0xftx5OnRjpDj0jH1_LgYm-J5SCl7SPflDaPxV8FhhCTZB6zcnft4CvPu98JGTIE8_pc7Q2JwoI-URXN_Y7SSEssXlWQaXDA6q6ufqoFoIfZupV9PMGax0_VlYph5v55BUjmwacxKxfzzDUNErIRE234SCGK1AkqiNANQU3-aKZH69wwD2sJU4Pipx-HyZcKjoiNXr3XlvpQVulsA0FaLlOxmB993elgcNjvw-OPUxdSiR2M0WxPjUzhliP8cXRpXtqT64zFcqoAmwdh8JlgVN5hdV9-7xNAqGq0MJ6YiNY4YXMTKd3O7EIYQjNRtVE9ilXXblLYA7fw/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fzos-open-source

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1_uMq3GLJ9HTGBlszWMSuyLJrFJw7L9oeYIJA-3of5gQzsfySNu6IgZvmoj4zQtpA9lI2PGp3gi37A0pcV_-akxGAtvM7PPvmhQaqI_HrU1F03gQZVn35JHKRfhbKi_akuMCHKl6Jxw0XTe5h_A8r_Yf4sJD7K_tifTzN0Wcd1oALF_Ulqx7eFUpt1QydCRax91Si77W-nrrfiCQCtHg1xIUOB4uuAsqT9R3a5uwlgxgIGMaAUHzdv4ZRNKZjHpw1Cq5lmWNznGvBkzF2kmDGzL4BrUDhQaZn8JLU3EiiHQpdipBeG5ZYp037SdHI34BSSZJKAAggOFiZg2I7-YzuxoBAdQbgos8gDrHFgcIRT3eZrCaAKWY6rB9UxqQ-KP9rb48Z_sbz6vv73PKDfCvySGgaZ2mOYe2xCzX7SfHNvWdj86FRFJbr83pY3-d_3q20LVdf4cpThZgRwCSBhTyCYg/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jruby.org

The best implementation of Ruby for z/OS is probably currently the Docker
container image that runs in the z/OS Container Extensions:

https://secure-web.cisco.com/183dflPtktXM2fwPPw_eirxf06lcUK0v_jn8pu39cKPKdfWNrFJXD3y_qQia_gjA1OlKuSGjQw07N1njqjr0y0w5EjkVpYZkdgcOaWwlsrvrIXKuP6mxFCq-yjuJf93g9B-gj1bWRZFS_8H0E93go7cFPI893PGM8BCid_gJIeHE-T4icFYbAVav4ldhfnYw4l9VsHjT3ktOKdR6c0eMG-AOCvbkDDKzlKsgJRtUtO1pkSucSK-u2OWSR2f8Wy4RSZiwTR5ATSmZdZxiSVElFJoUpyzzfV_aL1ptFI2o-pb4lZT4Jh1rLFC2xBVuN46hYBuLTTm7OiW2G3bMkPvBFEJhJ84UQLMwPlIHxdA4aGoOXyXRbMITyVdgjuupQCn_OI5pkEUyah5k1PI5WawbD9tA8H_Le3789K7VQHINq48UyoaaS9zn8nmZTeAfxuF8qEtCvP8UhkBeuLiL9595M0w/https%3A%2F%2Fhub.docker.com%2F_%2Fruby

Timothy Sipples

May 12, 2020, 12:55:49 AM5/12/20
Shmuel Metz wrote:
>The problem is that some of those are incomplete, not z/OS,
>or not up to date.

1. Would you like to be more specific? (And I don't know what you mean by
"not z/OS." I answered specifically, exclusively for z/OS.)

2. Have you tried fixing the specific issues?

Seymour J Metz

May 12, 2020, 11:29:00 AM5/12/20
For example, the current Perl is 5.30, not 5.24.

Not z/OS in the same sense that Solaris in a virtual machine is not z/VM; the code that z/OS runs in a container is Linux code. I'd like the more common languages available in a form interoperable with at least batch, TSO and OMVS applications. I also want them in Linux for Z, but that may already be here.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

On 5/12/20 9:28 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> I also want them in Linux for Z, but that may already be here.

z/Linux has pretty much everything. Did some heavy lifting there. What
wasn't there I could build, with some work.

Essence of Open Source: You are part of the solution.

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan

Jack J. Woehr

May 12, 2020, 3:32:45 PM5/12/20
On 5/12/20 9:28 AM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> I also want them in Linux for Z, but that may already be here.

You do know that you can get a free LPAR for 90 days and explore what's
there and what's not yourself, right?

https://developer.ibm.com/components/ibm-linuxone/gettingstarted/

--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan

Mike Schwab

May 12, 2020, 9:46:55 PM5/12/20
https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/blogs/elizabeth-k-joseph1/2020/05/12/linuxone-open-source-report-april-2020
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

Seymour J Metz

May 12, 2020, 9:58:15 PM5/12/20
No oorexx, or even Regina?

Although I was impressed to see Erlang there; I hadn't expected that.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3