Fixcat vs Hardware PSP Buckets

Dazzo, Matt

Apr 7, 2016, 2:46:23 PM4/7/16
I would like to verify that using fixcat category IBM.Device.Server.zBC12-2828 is the same as checking PSP BUCKETS for DEVICE 2828?

Thanks Matt

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

John Eells

Apr 7, 2016, 4:31:45 PM4/7/16
Dazzo, Matt wrote:
> I would like to verify that using fixcat category IBM.Device.Server.zBC12-2828 is the same as checking PSP BUCKETS for DEVICE 2828?
<snip>

You really need to read the PSP and the appropriate level of the z/OS
Migration book's topic about migrating to a new server, but you won't
need the PTF lists in the PSP. Instead, as the PSP says, start with the
FIXCATs for the zEC12, zBC12 *and* any intermediate processors. For
example, if you are coming from a z10 BC, you need the FIXCATs for the
z114 and z196 in addition to the ones for the zEC12 and zBC12.

Personally, I'd go with the wildcard, and just use IBM.Device.Server.*
to pick up everything (almost--see below), but I'm a KISS kind of guy.
But if that's not conservative enough for you (as it will pick up what's
needed for the z13 and z13s at the same time), you can use the lists in
the PSPs for the zBC12 *and* for any earlier servers you didn't run on
to pick what you want instead, based on where you are coming from. This
list goes back to z990:

zBC12 IBM.Device.Server.zBC12-2828*
zEC12 IBM.Device.Server.zEC12-2827*
z114 IBM.Device.Server.z114-2818*
z196 IBM.Device.Server.z196-2817*
z10 BC IBM.Device.Server.z10-BC-2098*
z10 EC IBM.Device.Server.z10-EC-2097*
z9 BC IBM.Device.Server.z9-BC-2096*
z9 EC IBM.Device.Server.z9-EC-2094*
z890 IBM.Device.Server.z890-2086*
z990 IBM.Device.Server.z990-2084*

There are some other things in the PSP you need to know about, too, such
as the FIXCATs for specific functions, such as:

IBM.Function.zEDC
IBM.Device.Server.zBX-2458
IBM.DB2.AnalyticsAccelerator.V2R1

Also, there are the ICSF FIXCATs; which you need to use depends on what
level of ICSF you are running and whether you need to install a web
deliverable for crypto support.

Finally, as the PSP notes, the Flash Express feature requires the RSM
web deliverable if you are on z/OS V1.13.

The authoritative sources for this information, again, are the PSP or
PSPs and the right level of the z/OS Migration book. But we have tried
to structure them to make it easy to find what you need and to provide
the FIXCATs needed to streamline checking for the PTFs you need.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Gibney, David Allen

Apr 7, 2016, 5:45:40 PM4/7/16
Whenever I actually APPLY (w/out check) I use
SOURCEID (
RSU* HIPER PRP
IBM*
)
Brings everything up to a reasonably safe and current level.

Pete

Apr 13, 2016, 9:03:20 AM4/13/16
I'm actually going thru that process now and found the fixcat for z13s did not pull in all the required service to support a z13 or z13s processor. I ended up ordering the PSP bucket and viola! got all I needed.
using
REPORT MISSINGFIX
ZONES(MVST100)
FIXCAT(IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965*) .
got 2 PTF's that were already received, but not applied.

John Eells

Apr 13, 2016, 9:42:39 AM4/13/16
Pete wrote:

<snip>
> I'm actually going thru that process now and found the fixcat for z13s did not pull in all the required service to support a z13 or z13s processor. I ended up ordering the PSP bucket and viola! got all I needed.
> using
> REPORT MISSINGFIX
> ZONES(MVST100)
> FIXCAT(IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965*) .
> got 2 PTF's that were already received, but not applied.

What PTFs were listed in the PSP but did not have FIXCAT HOLDs?

It's quite possible that they did not have z13s FIXCATs if they had
FIXCATs for a prior generation (such as but not limited to z12EC or
z12BC FIXCATs). Following the directions in the PSP should pull those
in as needed.

On the other hand, if you followed the directions in the PSP to specify
all the FIXCATs we say you should use, and you were still missing PTFs
needed for your z13s, we need to fix that!

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Pete

Apr 14, 2016, 8:27:01 AM4/14/16
John, I still have the output I'll pull what I have and post.
Carmen

Pete

Apr 14, 2016, 8:40:45 AM4/14/16
the missingfix report I ran produced this SMPPUNCH
SET BDY(MVST100 ).
APPLY CHECK
SELECT(
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.Exploitation
UA80497
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.RequiredService
I was at RSU1508 + PTF's for MTPPRC
when attempting to apply these PTF's (can't find sysout just yet), there were some additional CO and PRE-REQ's missing from my SMP env. some are listed below
these came from the PSP bucket for 2965DEVICE
UA80777.
UO01805.
UA90993.
UA80196.
UA81083.
UA80921.
UA76870
I ran the report again the next day and got this
RECEIVE ORDER(
CONTENT(ALL) /*

SMP/E RECOMMENDS ORDERING AND RECEIVING ALL APPLICABLE
PTFS. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO ORDER ALL, THEN ORDER ONLY
THE RESOLVING PTFS:

CONTENT(PTFS(
UA80041 UA80266 UA80513 UA80666
) )
*/
ORDERSERVER(SMPOSRVR) /* SPECIFY THE ORDERSERVER DDNAME. */
CLIENT (SMPCLNT ) /* SPECIFY THE CLIENT DDNAME. */
)
DELETEPKG.
ET BDY(MVST100 ).
APPLY CHECK
SELECT(
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.zHighPerformanceFICON */
UA80266
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.Exploitation */
UA80041
UA80443
UA80497
UA80777
UA80921
UA90993
UO01805
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.RecommendedService
/* UA80443 */
UA80666
/* UA80777 */
/* UA90993 */
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.RequiredService
UA80070
/* UA80666 */
/* UO01805 */
/* IBM.Device.Server.z13s-2965.ServerTimeProtocol
UA80513
)
BYPASS(HOLDSYSTEM)
GROUPEXTEND.
in between this time I received and the enhanced hold data, that's the only thing I can think of thatmay have produced the second SMPPUNCH output.
it looks like I have all I need, but then again I assumed I did prior to this last run
Carmen

Kurt Quackenbush

Apr 14, 2016, 8:47:20 AM4/14/16
> in between this time I received and the enhanced hold data...

Ah hah! I highly suspect the latest HOLDDATA is the reason for the
discrepancy. I'm pretty sure the PSP bucket instructs you to first get
the latest HOLDDATA before running the REPORT MISSINGFIX command. In
any case, glad to hear you've now got all the PTFs you need.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development

Pete

Apr 14, 2016, 9:18:44 AM4/14/16
Bingo ! that's what I was thinking, I usually :) always receive the latest eholddata, getting ready for 2.2 and MTPPRC, and a z12 or 13 or 13s, I must have missed it once, my bad. but after downloading, receiving and running the report again, I got all the service I needed.
can't discount the benefits of the Enhanced hold data!
Carmen

John Eells

Apr 14, 2016, 9:19:10 AM4/14/16
Kurt Quackenbush wrote:
>> in between this time I received and the enhanced hold data...
>
> Ah hah! I highly suspect the latest HOLDDATA is the reason for the
> discrepancy. I'm pretty sure the PSP bucket instructs you to first get
> the latest HOLDDATA before running the REPORT MISSINGFIX command.
<snip>

Indeed they do!

"This entry documents the z/OS support required for the
z13s server. It has been separated by z/OS release. You
should use these SMP/E Fix Categories specified, with
current FIXCAT HOLDDATA (see instructions below): "

"Fix categories are defined in IBM HOLDDATA. Therefore,
before you run the SMP/E REPORT command, you must first
acquire the latest HOLDDATA from IBM. Current
HOLDDATA is provided in all IBM service deliverables,
including orders produced using SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER
and ShopzSeries,. Also, they are available in the "Full"
(730 day) HOLDDATA file you can download directly from
(ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/s390/holddata/full.txt). "

Also, note that the 2965 categories by themselves are perhaps
insufficient, depending on what machine you are coming from. You should
at least also include the 2964 ones, but for simplicity's sake I'd
recommend using IBM.Device.Server.* and whatever functional FIXCATs you
need as described in the PSP.

Please let us know if the PSP's instructions should be clarified somehow.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Pete

Apr 14, 2016, 9:49:07 AM4/14/16
John I think my problem was timming, we are looking at CEC upgrade, first talk was a z12 or z13, so I had some RSU maint I needed to apply, some PTF's for MTPPRC were applied, pretty new @ a PUT or RSU 1601 level, at that time I downloaded the EHOLDDATA, then the 13s was announced and my missingfix report only selected z12 and z13, I was not aware there was a separate fixcat for a 13s, there lied most of my problem.
pulling PSP always worked well for me since I'm old school.
the fixcat works well when you select the correct one, and I should have pushed our hardware vendor more for the correct fixcat maybe?
I think I'll take your advice, and from now on, with any upgrade not to be so specific with the fixcats per your example IBM.Device.Server.*
for me I don't see a need to clarify the PSP's instructions
thanks John, Kurt
Carmen

Tom Marchant

Apr 14, 2016, 11:56:54 AM4/14/16
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 09:42:23 -0400, John Eells wrote:

>Pete wrote:

And most of us don't know what it was that Pete wrote, because he
apparently posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main. Fortunately for him, this
time two knowledgeable people (John and Kurt) seem to have seen his
posts there and responded here on the list.

bit.listserv.ibm-main mirrors the posts from the listserv, but posts to
bit.listserv.ibm-main do not appear on this listserv, which is where the
vast majority of us read it.

Pete and any others would be advised to subscribe to the listserv. If
desired, they can set their subscription to NOMAIL and access the posts
on the web.

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

--
Tom Marchant

Pete

Apr 14, 2016, 1:05:52 PM4/14/16
Hi Tom, you are correct and actually I'm posting via Google groups unfortunately, I've attempted to subscript to the listserv IBM-MAIN but I've not had any success, email to the list owner never came back to me, so for the most part I just read, digest what I can, and help out when I have something valuable to offer to a poster via personal email.
Carmen