Errors in VVDS

Mark Pace

Jan 5, 2011, 11:00:53 AM1/5/11
Running a Diagnose on a VVDS I get an error on missing catalogs.
DIAGNOSE VVDS INDATASET(SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001)
IDC11367I THE FOLLOWING VVDS REFERENCED CATALOGS WERE NOT ENCOUNTERED:
CATALOG.USER.SYSTEM.ZOS19
CATALOG.MASTER.ZOS19
IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 4

These are old catalogs that no longer exist and I'm unsure why they are
there to begin with, errors in my ACS routines I assume. Anyway the error
message is not of much help on how to repair the VVDS and remove the
reference to these catalogs.

Any suggestions?

--
Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Schwarz, Barry A

Jan 5, 2011, 11:26:35 AM1/5/11
I have had good luck with

Temporarily define the catalog
Import connect it to the master catalog
Run IDCAMS delete vvds-dsn catalog(temp-cat-dsn) noscr file(dd-name). The DD statement points to the volume with the VVDS.
Delete the catalog.

The error is due to residual data sitting in the VVDS even after any dataset related to the catalog has been deleted.

Tom Marchant

Jan 5, 2011, 11:47:15 AM1/5/11
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:59:57 -0500, Mark Pace wrote:

>IDC11367I THE FOLLOWING VVDS REFERENCED CATALOGS WERE NOT ENCOUNTERED:
>

>These are old catalogs that no longer exist and I'm unsure why they are
>there to begin with

The VVDS is cataloged in every catalog that contains VSAM and
SMS-managed data sets on the volume. There is a back reference to
each catalog in the VVDS. Deleting the data sets does not remove these
associations between the catalogs and the VVDS.

--
Tom Marchant

Mark Pace

Jan 5, 2011, 12:56:15 PM1/5/11
Thanks for the response, but your sequence doesn't seem to work for me.

DEFINE USERCATALOG (-
NAME (CATALOG.USER.SYSTEM.ZOS19) -
VOLUME (PCAT11) -
CYLINDERS (1 1) -
ICFCATALOG )
IDC0510I CATALOG ALLOCATION STATUS FOR VOLUME PCAT11 IS 0
IDC0512I NAME GENERATED-(I) CATALOG.USER.SYSTEM.ZOS19.CATINDEX
IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0

Didn't need to do the import connect as this defined it in the master
catalog.

//STEP1 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//DD1 DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,VOL=SER=STD001
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *

DELETE SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001 CATALOG(CATALOG.USER.SYSTEM.ZOS19) -
NOSCRATCH FILE(DD1)
IDC3012I ENTRY SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001 NOT FOUND
IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 8 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLEG-42
IDC0551I ** ENTRY SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001 NOT DELETED
IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 8

What am I missing?

--

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems

Tom Marchant

Jan 5, 2011, 1:12:01 PM1/5/11
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:54:51 -0500, Mark Pace wrote:

> DELETE SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001 CATALOG(CATALOG.USER.SYSTEM.ZOS19) -
> NOSCRATCH FILE(DD1)
>IDC3012I ENTRY SYS1.VVDS.VSTD001 NOT FOUND

There is no entry in the BCS for the VVDS. You would first need to catalog
the VVDS in that catalog. Then you should be able to do the DELETE NOSCRATCH

--
Tom Marchant

Matthew Stitt

Jan 5, 2011, 2:52:09 PM1/5/11
He could also check out the VVDSFIX program which is available for download
from IBM. I've used it to correct some catalog inconsistencies which seem
familiar to what the OP has encountered.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:10:50 -0600, Tom Marchant <m42tom-...@YAHOO.COM>

Mark Pace

Jan 5, 2011, 2:57:43 PM1/5/11
Thanks, Matthew, that looks exactly like what I need.