VSAM cluster question

Tommy Tsui

Dec 18, 2007, 9:24:45 AM12/18/07
Hi all,
I have a problem on merge catalog. After merge catalog I only find the DATA
and index component and all cluster are missing.
How can I define the cluster for VSAM if I only have the DATA and INDEX
component.

thanks for help

tommy

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Chicklon, Tom

Dec 18, 2007, 9:35:14 AM12/18/07
Tommy, did you update the alias for the datasets moved so that they can be found in the new catalog using something like:

DELETE hlq ALIAS

DEFINE ALIAS(NAME(hlq) RELATE (ICF.newcat)) -
CATALOG(ICF.MASTER)

Tom Chicklon

Tommy Tsui

Dec 18, 2007, 10:08:37 AM12/18/07
I try to use recatalog it doesn't work. I think there are some problem on
VVR information. I only can find the DATA and INDEX component.

DEF CLUSTER
-
(NAME(UXXSMD.MVX.TOT) VOLUME(UTS202)
RECATALOG)
DC3014I CATALOG
ERROR
DC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 50 - REASON CODE IS
IGG0CLE4-88
DC3003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS
12

Chicklon, Tom

Dec 18, 2007, 10:19:39 AM12/18/07
Tommy, I guess I am not clear on your problem.

When you say you only find the data and index components, where are you seeing these? Are you using 3.4 to look at the volumes or are you using LISTCAT against the new catalog?

I would expect that you would only see the data and index components on the volume, as the cluster name would only be in the catalog, not on the DASD volumes.

And without updating the ALIAS, you would not see anything the catalog search of 3.4 (no volume name or mask entered, just the dsname level).

I would think that you should not have to DEF CLUSTER ... RECATALOG unless something went wrong with the MERGECAT.

Tom Chicklon

Ed Finnell

Dec 18, 2007, 10:43:17 AM12/18/07

In a message dated 12/18/2007 8:24:58 A.M. Central Standard Time,
tomm...@GMAIL.COM writes:

and index component and all cluster are missing.
How can I define the cluster for VSAM if I only have the DATA and INDEX
component.

Should only have to do define alias to the new cat and everything should
show up.

Lizette Koehler

Dec 18, 2007, 11:16:36 AM12/18/07
Tommy,

The IDC3009I messages states
Explanation: A VVR or NVR with the correct component
name was found, but the catalog name did not match. On
a delete request, the BCS record will be deleted, but
the VVR or NVR and the format 1 DSCB will not be
scratched. There is no SFI data.

Does your HLQ UXXSMD exist? And does it point to the correct new catalog?

Lizette

>> and index component and all cluster are missing.
>> How can I define the cluster for VSAM if I only have the DATA and INDEX
>> component.
>>

>> thanks for help
>>
>> tommy

Ed Rohr

Dec 18, 2007, 2:38:03 PM12/18/07
Point to the data component name and repro the records to a flat file,
sort them in key sequence and drop duplicate keys if any (sum in sort)
Example:SORT FIELDS=(30,8,CH,A)
SUM FIELDS=NONE

Redefine the cluster and repro the sorted data into it.

The define cluser model parameter is some times helpful when you don't
have a handy define of the cluster.

Ed

Dec 18, 2007, 2:40:25 PM12/18/07
Sorry I jumped in and didn't realize we were doing a repro mergecat.
Ed

Dec 18, 2007, 3:14:51 PM12/18/07

In a message dated 12/18/2007 1:40:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
EdR...@FREIGHTLINER.COM writes:

Sorry I jumped in and didn't realize we were doing a repro mergecat.

Well, that's the way I read it. Anyway to verify our assertion should be
able to ADRDSSU print the VTOC and see the UCAT associated with the clusters. If
we're right and the MERGECAT was successful, should be pointing at the new
UCAT and the DEF ALIAS should fly.....

Tommy Tsui

Dec 18, 2007, 5:37:32 PM12/18/07
thanks for all information, I will try but I find the catalog information
for the DATA & INDEX component are deleted. ( may be delete the user catalog
). Therefore, I only can see the DATA & INDEX component located in some
volume without catalog.

Tommy Tsui

Dec 18, 2007, 5:39:35 PM12/18/07
The alias already defined and point the the correct user catalog.

Ed Finnell

Dec 19, 2007, 12:41:10 AM12/19/07

In a message dated 12/18/2007 4:39:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tomm...@GMAIL.COM writes:

The alias already defined and point the the correct user catalog.

Then you should be able to simply DEFINE RECAT pointing to the DATA and
INDEX components.