HMC/Browser access and JAVA

Field, Alan

Oct 18, 2015, 1:42:03 PM10/18/15
My HMC access via a browser to the Integrated 3270 and Operating System messages broke again.

It is a JAVA problem. I had been running JAVA V7.21 but it won't reinstall properly again. I have JAVA 8.60 installed and it doesn't start either of the functions.

My HMC microcode is at a high level - it is supposed to support Java V8.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Alan Field
Systems Engineer Principal
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MN

651.662.3546

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

J O Skip Robinson

Oct 18, 2015, 2:00:31 PM10/18/15
Both functions are working for me today. Java level:

java version "1.8.0_60"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

We have had Java problems off and on but finally standardized on this version after upgrading all HMCs to the latest driver.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
JO.Skip....@sce.com

Field, Alan

R.S.

Oct 18, 2015, 3:14:17 PM10/18/15
W dniu 2015-10-18 o 19:41, Field, Alan pisze:
> My HMC access via a browser to the Integrated 3270 and Operating System messages broke again.
>
> It is a JAVA problem. I had been running JAVA V7.21 but it won't reinstall properly again. I have JAVA 8.60 installed and it doesn't start either of the functions.
>
> My HMC microcode is at a high level - it is supposed to support Java V8.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks
I have virtual machine with downlevel versions of browser, java and some
specific settings for HMCs, swtiches and other hardware appliances which
I cannot replace or upgrade.
It is NOT updated, I documented each setting or component version, so it
ALWAYS WORK. Despite of updates madness in Windows world.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
Tre tej wiadomo ci mo e zawiera informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wy cznie do u ytku s u bowego adresata. Odbiorc mo e by jedynie jej adresat z wy czeniem dost pu osób trzecich. Je eli nie jeste adresatem niniejszej wiadomo ci lub pracownikiem upowa nionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, e jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne dzia anie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i mo e by karalne. Je eli otrzyma e t wiadomo omy kowo, prosimy niezw ocznie zawiadomi nadawc wysy aj c odpowied oraz trwale usun t wiadomo w czaj c w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzib w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa, www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kon...@mBank.pl
S d Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S dowego, nr rejestru przedsi biorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Wed ug stanu na dzie 01.01.2015 r. kapita zak adowy mBanku S.A. (w ca o ci wp acony) wynosi 168.840.228 z otych.

Jousma, David

Oct 19, 2015, 7:21:10 AM10/19/15
Alan, HMC needs to be at 2.13.0 for JAVA 8 to work.

Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering
david....@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

Oct 30, 2015, 7:24:03 AM10/30/15
That is odd. One thing I noticed that I don't care for is that once you upgrade the HMC to 2.13.0 for the JAVA 8 support, accessing it from machines with JAVA 6 or 7 no longer works. That really surprised me, because I always thought there was downward compatibility.

Jon Butler

Oct 30, 2015, 12:04:16 PM10/30/15
You are conflating MVS with JAVA. No guarantees expressed or implied in the JAVA world.

J O Skip Robinson

Oct 30, 2015, 12:08:09 PM10/30/15
If the SHARE Singalong were still running in high gear, we could write an anti-romantic ballad about the despair of 'Java compatibility'. I would suggest that each new Java release contains antibodies to all previous releases and--of course--to all future releases. The love doctor will advise that you get off of Java, but unfortunately that means getting off the (modern) world altogether. Prepare to live in perpetual discontent.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson