Message BPXF135E RETURN CODE 00000079, REASON CODE 055B005C

Hal Merritt

Nov 9, 2010, 2:14:27 PM11/9/10
Receiving BPXF135E RETURN CODE 00000079, REASON CODE 055B005C on an attempted file mount.

Searches of a number of messages/codes manuals have been futile.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Ramiro Camposagrado

Nov 9, 2010, 2:17:21 PM11/9/10
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:11:08 -0600, Hal Merritt <HMer...@JACKHENRY.COM>
wrote:

For reason code 055B005C:

Action: The problem found depends on the return code received with this
reason
code.
o If the return code is ENOENT, the pathname specified could not be found.
o If the return code is ENOTDIR, the pathname did not specify a directory.
o If the return code is EINVAL, either the pathname specified refers to the
root of an already mounted file system. Or, in the case of a sysplex, the
file system may be already mounted on another system in the sysplex or there
may be conflicting BPXPRMxx statements for the root.

Ramiro Camposagrado

Nov 9, 2010, 2:18:28 PM11/9/10
wrote:

>Receiving BPXF135E RETURN CODE 00000079, REASON CODE 055B005C on an
attempted file mount.

>Searches of a number of messages/codes manuals have been futile.
>
>Ideas, anyone?
>
>Thanks
>
>NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are
intended
>exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message,
>together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged
information.
>Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or
distribution
>is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
>immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete all copies.

>send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Forgot to mention one more thing:

You can get the explanation of the return code by typing in:

TSO BPXMTEXT 055B005C

Hal Merritt

Nov 9, 2010, 2:37:41 PM11/9/10
Great tip about the TSO BPXMTEXT. Thanks!!

But, as you can see from the message, the return code is 79.

Mullen, Patrick

Nov 9, 2010, 2:50:57 PM11/9/10
Return code 79 is EINVAL, see:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BPXZA8A0/2.0?
DT=20090515115756

Starr, Alan

Nov 9, 2010, 3:01:13 PM11/9/10
Don't you just love how USS hides its message meanings in esoteric corners?

After you've used BPXMTEXT to get the semi-cryptic textual "explanation" of a reason code (generally for Kernel errors ONLY), you can get a translation of the return code number into its associated name from SYS1.MACLIB(BPXYERNO)

To make your life more enjoyable, you must first convert the hexadecimal code in the message into decimal before you can find it in SYS1.MACLIB(BPXYERNO)

Cheers,
Alan

Chris Mason

Nov 9, 2010, 7:39:56 PM11/9/10
Hal

> Searches of a number of messages/codes manuals have been futile.
> Ideas, anyone?

My idea would be to hone your techniques for looking up messages and codes -
small initial characters for now.

There are two ways to look up BPXF135E:

1. IBM's LookAt web page:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/lookat/index.html

2. IBM's z/OS Internet Library

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/

Select "z/OS elements and features publications - Book - 1.11"

Under "z/OS V1R11.0 elements and features bookshelf", enter "BPXF135E" in
the "Search text" box.

Click on "z/OS V1R11.0 MVS System Messages, Vol 3 (ASB-BPX)"

Click on "BPXF135E, 10.113"

-

Both will take you to the following:

<quote>

10.113 BPXF135E

BPXF135E RETURN CODE return_code, REASON CODE reason_code. THE
MOUNT FAILED FOR FILE SYSTEM fsname.

Explanation: The system was unable to mount the file system because of the
condition indicated by the return code and reason code shown.

In the message text:

return_code
The return code received from a callable service.

reason_code
The reason code received from a callable service. For an explanation of the
return code and reason code, see z/OS UNIX System Services Messages and
Codes.

fsname
The name of the file system to be mounted.

System Action: Processing for the command ends.

User Response: The return code and reason code that were returned with this
message indicate what caused the problem. Correct the error, and then
reenter the command.

Operator Response: None.

System Programmer Response: None.

Source: z/OS UNIX System Services kernel (BPX)

Detecting Module: BPXFUMNT

Routing Code: 2

Descriptor Code: 2

</quote>

As quite clearly instructed, the place to look for the explanation of both
the "return code and the "reason code" is the "z/OS UNIX System Services
Messages and Codes" manual - corresponding to the URL provided by Patrick
Mullen and thus explaining *why* he was using that manual.

You might have taken a short cut by noticing that the message prefix
was "BPX", indicating that this was all about "z/OS UNIX System Services",
and that you were having to deal with a couple of codes. This would have
taken you straight to this very manual.

As has been pointed out, from 2.0 Return codes (errnos), "RETURN CODE
00000079" has the following explanation:

<quote>

Decimal Value-Hex Value-Return Code-Description

121-0079-EINVAL-The parameter is incorrect.

</quote>

And, from 3.3 z/OS UNIX reason codes, "REASON CODE 055B005C", in effect,
has the following explanation:

<quote>

Value-Description

005C-JRMountPt

A problem was found with the mount point specified.

Action: The problem found depends on the return code received with this
reason code.

° If the return code is EINVAL, either the pathname specified refers to the
root of an already mounted file in the system. Or, in the case of a sysplex, the

file system may be already mounted on another system in the sysplex or there
may be conflicting BPXPRMxx statements for the root.

</quote>

The reason for the "in effect" is that you need to take on board an little bit of
explanation in "3.0 Reason codes (errnojrs)", "3.1 Description and location
information" as follows:

<quote>

The reason code is made up of 4 bytes in the following format:

cccc rrrr

cccc is a halfword reason code qualifier. Generally this is used to identify the
issuing module and represents a module ID.

rrrr is the halfword reason code described in this documentation. Only this part
of the reason code is intended as an interface for programmers.

</quote>

I'll grant you that the text would have been more logical if it had said -
acknowledging your response to Ramiro Camposagrado - "If the return code
*corresponds to* EINVAL" but I think we have to realise that the authors who
pride themselves on their command of the English language in the peculiar
dialect fashionable in the land between the shining seas - no infinitive left
unsplit, for example - just might not have known that the "return code" was
always represented as a number. Clearly the manual author responsible
for "reason codes" was not the manual author responsible for "return codes" -
well, that's one possible explanation!

Having found this exercise rather straightforward, I wonder if I've missed
something which makes it not so straightforward, occasioning indeed the
word "futile"!

Of course, it may be that you had found the explanation, the discovery of
which is laboriously elucidated above, but that you still didn't understand how
the circumstances described matched what you were doing. If this is the
case, it would have been kinder to us all to mention that this was your
problem - although surely the searching of "messages and codes manual"
would have ended here ...

Finally, there have been quite a number of times over the years that there
have been requests in this list where the famous 8 hexadecimal character
(reason) code has appeared surrounded, as it were, by question marks and a
furrowed brow. On just about every occasion we are reminded that the little
utility command BPXMTEXT exists to help know what at least the "reason
code" is all about - which is often enough, it seems. Anyhow I echo your
thanks to Ramiro Camposagrado for pointing BPXMTEXT out yet again.

Chris Mason

wrote:

>Receiving BPXF135E RETURN CODE 00000079, REASON CODE 055B005C on an
attempted file mount.

>Searches of a number of messages/codes manuals have been futile.
>
>Ideas, anyone?
>
>Thanks

Chris Mason

Nov 9, 2010, 7:43:23 PM11/9/10
Alan

> Don't you just love how USS hides its message meanings in esoteric corners?

[1]

As I pointed out to Hal Merritt, discovering the explanation for his message
was almost simplicity itself, "almost" because you had to know about ignoring
the first four hexadecimal characters of the "reason code" in order to claim
utmost simplicity.

I'll grant you that it seems not always to be the case that every message
which features the famous 8 hexadecimal characters is simple given some of
the "mystery" messages with which the list has been presented over the years.

> ... you can get a translation of the return code number into its associated
name from SYS1.MACLIB(BPXYERNO).

> To make your life more enjoyable, you must first convert the hexadecimal
code in the message into decimal before you can find it in SYS1.MACLIB

(BPXYERNO).

Are you sure it's not just a bit more straightforward having the "z/OS UNIX
System Services Messages and Codes" manual which corresponds to your
release of z/OS downloaded to your PC?

Chris Mason

[1] I could have said I find USS messages extremely self-explanatory
especially if I have replaced those supplied by IBM with my own as I used to
instruct my students to do. But that would be to try to deny that I had my
tongue firmly lodged in either my left or right cheek and that I didn't
appreciate that you were misusing "USS" for "UNIX System Services" rather
than "Unformatted System Services" which lays historical claim to the
abbreviation within IBM portals. As I said, I could have said that but since it
generates howls of protest I'd better not for the sake of limiting the blood
pressure of certain list denizens, "usual suspects" to boot!

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:00:00 -0800, Starr, Alan
<Alan_...@CALPERS.CA.GOV> wrote:

>Don't you just love how USS hides its message meanings in esoteric corners?
>
>After you've used BPXMTEXT to get the semi-cryptic textual "explanation" of
a reason code (generally for Kernel errors ONLY), you can get a translation of
the return code number into its associated name from SYS1.MACLIB
(BPXYERNO)

>To make your life more enjoyable, you must first convert the hexadecimal
code in the message into decimal before you can find it in SYS1.MACLIB
(BPXYERNO)

>Cheers,
>Alan

John McKown

Nov 9, 2010, 7:48:05 PM11/9/10
On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 13:36 -0600, Hal Merritt wrote:
> Great tip about the TSO BPXMTEXT. Thanks!!
>
> But, as you can see from the message, the return code is 79.

Which is documented here:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BPXZA8B0/2.0

where everybody should "just know" to look, right? <GRIN>.

0079 is EINVAL. Which means that you've tried to mount two filesystems
at the same place.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><