OAM - CBR0054I

Mark Pace

May 6, 2013, 5:03:57 PM5/6/13
We recently removed our 3494 tape library. So we stopped using DFRMM and
OAM.

Today we are installing a Luminex virtual tape system. I've recreated all
the tape stuff in SMS, DC, SG, SC and library.

When I go to start OAM I get message
CBR0054I OAM has initialized without object tape support.

*Explanation:* OAM has initialized without a valid OAM=XX keyword in either
| the OAM PROCLIB member or on the START OAM operator command. Object tape
| processing has been bypassed.

This is the same proc we used in the past. I've never issued OAM=xx before,
not can I find any documentation on what that means.

Has any one seen this before and have an explanation of what it means?

--
The postings on this site are my own and don�t necessarily represent
Mainline�s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

John McKown

May 6, 2013, 6:26:12 PM5/6/13
OAM is obsolete. Remember mainframe based optical drives? That's what OAM
was for. It interfaced with DB2 which was where it kept it's catalog. OTIS
was in there too, somewhere.

Ignore it. I do with no problems.

Lizette Koehler

May 6, 2013, 6:31:37 PM5/6/13
OAM is used for SMS Tape management.

Lizette
> The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent
> Mainline's positions or opinions

Lizette Koehler

May 6, 2013, 6:33:19 PM5/6/13
Mark

Maybe this apar OA38956: CBR0401I OSREQ RETRIEVE RET = 00000010 REAS =
D0030441

* USERS AFFECTED: OAM Object support users who do not have *
* a valid OAM=XX keyword specified in *
* either their OAM PROCLIB member or on the *
* START OAM operator command. *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: The following message is issued when *
* attempting to processing an object *
* that resides on tape: *
* *
* CBR0401I OSREQ RETRIEVE unsuccessful. *
* Return code = 00000010 reason code = *
* D0030441. *
* RECOMMENDATION: *
During OAM initialization (start or restart), if a valid OAM=XX
keyword has not been specified in either the OAM PROCLIB member
or on the START OAM operator command, object tape processing for
object support will be bypassed. When object tape processing
is bypassed, any attempt to process an object that resides on a
tape will fail with the following message:

CBR0401I OSREQ RETRIEVE unsuccessful. Return code = 00000010
reason code = D0030441.

When appropriate, this APAR will issue a new warning message
(CBR0054I) to indicate OAM has bypassed object tape support.

CBR0054I - New Message.
CBR0054I OAM has initialized without object tape support.

Explanation: OAM has initialized without a valid OAM=XX keyword
in either the OAM PROCLIB member or on the START OAM operator
command. Object tape processing has been bypassed.
System Action: No object tape requests will be honored.

System Programmer Response: If you need OAM Object tape
support you must specify a valid
OAM=XX keyword.

Source: Object Access Method (OAM)

Lizette

We recently removed our 3494 tape library. So we stopped using DFRMM and
OAM.

Today we are installing a Luminex virtual tape system. I've recreated all
the tape stuff in SMS, DC, SG, SC and library.

When I go to start OAM I get message
CBR0054I OAM has initialized without object tape support.

*Explanation:* OAM has initialized without a valid OAM=XX keyword in either
| the OAM PROCLIB member or on the START OAM operator command. Object
| tape processing has been bypassed.

This is the same proc we used in the past. I've never issued OAM=xx before,
not can I find any documentation on what that means.

Has any one seen this before and have an explanation of what it means?

--
The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent
Mainline's positions or opinions

R.S.

May 7, 2013, 2:37:22 AM5/7/13
W dniu 2013-05-07 00:26, John McKown pisze:
> OAM is obsolete. Remember mainframe based optical drives? That's what OAM
> was for. It interfaced with DB2 which was where it kept it's catalog. OTIS
> was in there too, somewhere.
>
> Ignore it. I do with no problems.

OAM means Object Access Method, used for special kind of files, which
could be kept on optical media (magneto-optical actually), but OAM is
also started task *required* for using IBM tape libraries, like 3494.
So for the most people OAM is just device driver for tape library. And
of course it interfaces with RMM.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
Tre tej wiadomo ci mo e zawiera informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wy cznie do u ytku s u bowego adresata. Odbiorc mo e by jedynie jej adresat z wy czeniem dost pu os�b trzecich. Je eli nie jeste adresatem niniejszej wiadomo ci lub pracownikiem upowa nionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, e jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne dzia anie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i mo e by karalne. Je eli otrzyma e t wiadomo omy kowo, prosimy niezw ocznie zawiadomi nadawc wysy aj c odpowied oraz trwale usun t wiadomo w czaj c w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorised to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

BRE Bank SA, 00-950 Warszawa, ul. Senatorska 18, tel. +48 (22) 829 00 00, fax +48 (22) 829 00 33, www.brebank.pl, e-mail: in...@brebank.pl
S d Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru S dowego, nr rejestru przedsi biorc�w KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88.
Wed ug stanu na dzie 01.01.2013 r. kapita zak adowy BRE Banku SA (w ca o ci wp acony) wynosi 168.555.904 z otych.

Vernooij, CP - SPLXM

May 7, 2013, 2:54:20 AM5/7/13
We see this message since the introduction of the TS7700 VTS. It says we
don't have object support, but we don't have objects either, so this is
just correct information.

Kees.
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

John McKown

May 7, 2013, 8:10:49 AM5/7/13
You're right. OAM is for tape management. OTIS is for Optical disk. I am
simply not going to reply to messages after taking a sleeping aid any more.
--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Doug Henry

May 7, 2013, 9:52:47 AM5/7/13
Hi John,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the elevator company is not for Optical Disk. OAM uses OTIS to interface to DB2. We have a large OAMPLEX and have never had optical disk but we do need OTIS.

Doug

On Tue, 7 May 2013 07:10:42 -0500, John McKown <john.arch...@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>You're right. OAM is for tape management. OTIS is for Optical disk. I am
>simply not going to reply to messages after taking a sleeping aid any more.
>
>On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Lizette Koehler <star...@mindspring.com>wrote:
>
>> OAM is used for SMS Tape management.
>>
>> Lizette
>>
>> OAM is obsolete. Remember mainframe based optical drives? That's what OAM
>> was for. It interfaced with DB2 which was where it kept it's catalog. OTIS
>> was in there too, somewhere.

John McKown

Doug Henry

May 7, 2013, 10:50:12 AM5/7/13
Hi John,
OAM uses DB2 to maintain information about the objects. Here is the quote from the OAM Planning Guide

"Object Storage and Retrieval (OSR). Component of OAM that stores, retrieves, and deletes objects. OSR stores objects in the storage hierarchy and maintains the information about these objects in DB2 databases. "

Doug

John McKown

May 7, 2013, 10:53:44 AM5/7/13
I'll need to read up on that. We use OAM for our SMS managed tapes, but
don't have DB2. So it must be for something other than tapes. I was under
the impression that OAM was only for SMS managed tapes and optical disk.
guess I was wrong.
--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Doug Henry

May 7, 2013, 2:24:59 PM5/7/13
Hi John,
Yes, tape infomation is kept in TCDB (ie VOLCAT's). We use IBM's Content Manager on Demand and that use's OAM to store and retrieve objects (statements, reports, etc). The information about these objects is what is kept in DB2. The objects themselves are resides on disk or tape.

Doug

On Tue, 7 May 2013 09:53:36 -0500, John McKown <john.arch...@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I'll need to read up on that. We use OAM for our SMS managed tapes, but
>don't have DB2. So it must be for something other than tapes. I was under
>the impression that OAM was only for SMS managed tapes and optical disk.
>guess I was wrong.
>
>On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Doug Henry <doug_...@usbank.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> OAM uses DB2 to maintain information about the objects. Here is the quote
>> from the OAM Planning Guide
>>
>> "Object Storage and Retrieval (OSR). Component of OAM that stores,
>> retrieves, and deletes objects. OSR stores objects in the storage
>> hierarchy and maintains the information about these objects in DB2
>> databases. "
>>
>> Doug

John McKown

Mike Wood

May 9, 2013, 3:00:32 AM5/9/13
After reading all the related appends about this I would think many would still be confused about OAM.

The specific message is related to OAM 'object tape support'. This is nothing to do with OAM system managed tape library support. Try this EA session which explains more http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/stgv1r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.iea.zos/zos/1.0/DFSMS/V1R0-General-OAMSupport/player.html

OAM provides 2 main functions - tape library support, and Object support. You can exploit one without the other. If using Objects, you can optionally use its Object tape support to store objects on tape.

Only worry about this message if you are using the Object support and want to store some of the objects on tape.

Mike Wood