How do you say "z/OS"?

Mike Martin

Jun 21, 2001, 2:00:29 PM6/21/01
Is it.. zoss?

Is it.. zee?

Is it zee...oh...esss?

Something else?

Sorry if this has already been beat to death, but I am just curious how everyone is saying it...

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Bob Richards

Jun 21, 2001, 2:09:29 PM6/21/01
> Is it zee...oh...esss?

I believe this one is most common.

=====
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Scot Diddle

Jun 21, 2001, 2:12:04 PM6/21/01
Mike,

MVS.

Scot

Cummings, Jennifer , ECSS

Jun 21, 2001, 2:27:19 PM6/21/01
It sounds French.

Jun 21, 2001, 2:29:15 PM6/21/01
ZEOS

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Selles, Garry J

Jun 21, 2001, 2:38:30 PM6/21/01
Its no wonder why some management complain about the amount of email from
IBMLINK when we spend so much on subjects like this (HOW DO YOU SAY Z/OS?)

Thanks,
Garry...
garry.j...@lmco.com

Jun 22, 2001, 3:52:21 AM6/22/01
:-)

You're all wrong anyway. It's ZED oh ess....

Brian

This message is confidential. Its contents do not constitute a
commitment by TNS Switchtran except where provided for in a written agreement between you and TNS Switchtran.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either whole or partial,
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of the message,
please notify the sender immediately.

Jason Harris

Jun 22, 2001, 4:17:31 AM6/22/01
Zed Oss

:-)

Brian

QAS Systems Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
www.qas.com
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474

Robert Luebkemann

Jun 22, 2001, 9:10:22 AM6/22/01
I thought it was zoz, like oz. This way all the senior people out there can
change their titles to wizard of zos.

Perryman, Brian

Jun 22, 2001, 9:12:57 AM6/22/01
So does that mean that senior NT people are called 'Nit-Wits'??

Brian

Rick Fochtman

Jun 22, 2001, 9:25:35 AM6/22/01
----------------<snip>----------------

So does that mean that senior NT people are called 'Nit-Wits'??
---------------<unsnip>-------------
If the shoe fits ............. <g,d,r>

--
"Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes??"

Jim Keohane

Jun 22, 2001, 11:43:51 AM6/22/01
I think "z/OS" is pronounced "NAN" (Not A Number) as Division by one or more O's is a NO-NO.

- Jim Keohane

"Perryman, Brian" wrote:

--
Jim Keohane
Brigadier Consultant

LockStar, Inc.
1200 Wall Street West
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

Tel: (201) 508-3231
Fax: (201) 508-3201
http://www.lockstar.com

"If God hadn't intended us to eat cows, He wouldn't have made them out of steak."

jean.tho...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2016, 11:36:08 AM9/16/16

Don Poitras

Sep 16, 2016, 12:32:14 PM9/16/16
In article <35f7ced8-7f18-43dd...@googlegroups.com> you wrote:
> On Thursday, June 21, 2001 at 2:00:29 PM UTC-4, Mike Martin wrote:
> > Is it.. zoss?
> >
> > Is it.. zee?
> >
> > Is it zee...oh...esss?
> >
> > Something else?
> >
> > Sorry if this has already been beat to death, but I am just curious how everyone is saying it...

> Hi, I called IBM today from their z/OS website. The IBM agent said "zed oh ess" or zed OS, or z/OS. The final believable word. ...:-)

Poor Mike has been waiting 15 years for this answer. :)

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development - SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com (919) 531-5637 Cary, NC 27513

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Leonardo Vaz

Sep 16, 2016, 12:35:46 PM9/16/16
Cross posting from /r/mainframe

https://apps.kaonadn.net/4882011/product.html#10/1065;C178

Really nice animations :)

Regards,
Leo

Ed Jaffe

Sep 16, 2016, 2:50:30 PM9/16/16
On 9/16/2016 11:27 AM, Porowski, Kenneth wrote:
> I believe it is either 'zee oh ess' or 'zed oh ess' depending on how you pronounce the letter 'z'. Either way is acceptable.

I'm not a big fan of "zauce" (rhymes with "sauce")...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

Porowski, Kenneth

Sep 16, 2016, 3:04:46 PM9/16/16
I consider anyone that doesn't pronounce all three letters separately to be a Mainframe newb.

Tom Brennan

Sep 16, 2016, 3:31:39 PM9/16/16
Nice! I needed to switch to a newer Windows PC (less than 10 years
old?) to view. And if you click the back button at the upper left,
there are other machines listed.

There's also a button at the top right that apparently moves you through
a display of the insides, but I don't see a way to control that
animation. Still, it's very good.

Tom Brennan

Sep 16, 2016, 3:36:13 PM9/16/16
Oh duh... I was just impatient and clicked before the open-door
animation was complete. It's all controllable.

Rugen, Len

Sep 16, 2016, 3:53:00 PM9/16/16
Legacy, how did you pronounce MVS, MVS/SP, MVS/ESA and OS/390? I never heard "emmvees eisa" :-)

Just commeting for kicks.... (A CICS joke)

Len Rugen

Metrics and Automation – umdoit...@missouri.edu

Myth: If You Can’t Measure It, You Can’t Manage It, but if you have data, it’s not cheating to use it.

Charles Mills

Sep 16, 2016, 4:14:56 PM9/16/16
So "doss" is okay but not "zoss"?

Charles

Sep 16, 2016, 4:22:49 PM9/16/16
DOS was always 'doss'

OS/360 was 'oh ess 360'
SVS was 'ess vee ess'
MVT was 'em vee tee'
MVS was 'em vee ess'
ESA was 'eee ess aaa'
OS/390 was 'oh ess 390'

Richard Pinion

Sep 16, 2016, 4:27:55 PM9/16/16
"Ohhh, you can call me Ray, you can call Jay, you
can call RJ, you can call Ray Jay, but you
doesn't have to call me Johnson!"

Grammatical errors were part of the skit

--- ken.po...@CIT.COM wrote:
Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Mullen, Patrick

Sep 16, 2016, 4:30:31 PM9/16/16
I once worked in Montreal, the Anglophones always had to suppress smirks when the Francophones were discussing CICS and DB2, "Keeks" and "Debbie duh".

Tony Harminc

Sep 16, 2016, 5:03:34 PM9/16/16
On 16 September 2016 at 16:22, Porowski, Kenneth <ken.po...@cit.com> wrote:
> DOS was always 'doss'
>
> OS/360 was 'oh ess 360'
> SVS was 'ess vee ess'
> MVT was 'em vee tee'
> MVS was 'em vee ess'

Except perhaps in "PARTURIENT MONTES, NASCETVR RIDICVLVS MVS", where
it would sound like "moose".

http://www.mxg.com/thebuttonman/html/button190.htm

> ESA was 'eee ess aaa'
> OS/390 was 'oh ess 390'

Tony H.

Wayne Driscoll

Sep 16, 2016, 5:48:58 PM9/16/16
A long time ago I worked at a company that gave a CICS class to the
application people and the instructor was Italian. He raised a few
eyebrows, especially among the females in the class when he referred to the
product as "chicks"
Wayne Driscoll
OMEGAMON DB2 L3 Support/Development
wdrisco(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com
All opinions are mine, and do not represent
IBM Corporation.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> wrote on
09/16/2016 02:52:48 PM:

> From: "Rugen, Len" <Rug...@MISSOURI.EDU>
> To: IBM-...@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
> Date: 09/16/2016 02:53 PM
> Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] How do you say "z/OS"?
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-...@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
>
> Legacy, how did you pronounce MVS, MVS/SP, MVS/ESA and OS/390? I
> never heard "emmvees eisa" :-)
>
> Just commeting for kicks.... (A CICS joke)
>

> Len Rugen
>
> Metrics and Automation – umdoit...@missouri.edu
>
> Myth: If You Can’t Measure It, You Can’t Manage It, but if you have
> data, it’s not cheating to use it.

Jesse 1 Robinson

Sep 16, 2016, 6:17:22 PM9/16/16
We take our bad grammar serious: You doesn't has to call me Mister Johnson.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-302-7535 Office
robi...@sce.com

"Ohhh, you can call me Ray, you can call Jay, you can call RJ, you can call Ray Jay, but you doesn't have to call me Johnson!"

Grammatical errors were part of the skit

Sep 17, 2016, 7:36:18 AM9/17/16
NaN in computing is pronounced, right? My rule of thu... mouth I suppose, is if it can be pronounced, pronounce it, otherwise say the letters but with no gaps in between. Emveeess vs Em-vee-ess.

1970's training video, American guy with hairstyle which made his head look like a triangle, studiously pronouncing each individual letter, D-O-S J-C-L, with alternating minor waggles of his head at each letter. Not enough time in the world for that.

In Portuguese, and allowing for my phonetics for the second, sicks and dehbehdoish (CICS, DB2).

John McKown

Sep 17, 2016, 12:51:09 PM9/17/16
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Bill Woodger <bill.w...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> NaN in computing is pronounced, right? My rule of thu... mouth I suppose,
> is if it can be pronounced, pronounce it, otherwise say the letters but
> with no gaps in between. Emveeess vs Em-vee-ess.
>
> 1970's training video, American guy with hairstyle which made his head
> look like a triangle, studiously pronouncing each individual letter, D-O-S
> J-C-L, with alternating minor waggles of his head at each letter. Not
> enough time in the world for that.

​Oh, and now we can discuss how to say JCL as a word? I have always her
Jickel (rhymes with Nickel)​.

--
Unix: Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it
once. -- Karl Lehenbauer

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Jesse 1 Robinson

Sep 17, 2016, 1:52:55 PM9/17/16
Don't know jickle, but don't confuse that with JECL, homophone of Mr. Hyde's evil twin.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-302-7535 Office
robi...@sce.com

Sep 19, 2016, 1:19:07 AM9/19/16
Spent some time in Phoenix teaching some REXX to colleagues. I'm an English
guy who moved to OZ in 1986 and had 5 years in California.

After about an hour one of the guys put his hand up and said, "excuse me,
what's ZED?"

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 3:52 AM, Jesse 1 Robinson <Jesse1....@sce.com>
wrote:
--
Wayne V. Bickerdike

Jay

Sep 19, 2016, 8:19:00 AM9/19/16
Le jeudi 21 juin 2001 20:00:29 UTC+2, Mike Martin a écrit :
> Is it.. zoss?
>
> Is it.. zee?
>
> Is it zee...oh...esss?
>
> Something else?
>
> Sorry if this has already been beat to death, but I am just curious how everyone is saying it...

> send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

I say "THE" OS ,
;o)

zMan

Sep 19, 2016, 2:52:40 PM9/19/16
And you replied, "You need to get out more", I assume! Sheesh. It might
sound odd to the American ear, but it's not exactly that obscure.
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

John McKown

Sep 19, 2016, 2:57:15 PM9/19/16
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 1:52 PM, zMan <zedgar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And you replied, "You need to get out more", I assume! Sheesh. It might
> sound odd to the American ear, but it's not exactly that obscure.

​I learned about "Zed" from the movie "MIB" (Men In Black). That was almost
20 years ago.​

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Wayne Bickerdike

Sep 19, 2016, 3:09:40 PM9/19/16
And you replied, "You need to get out more", I assume! Sheesh. It might
sound odd to the American ear, but it's not exactly that obscure.
Have you been to Phoenix?

zMan

Sep 19, 2016, 3:55:30 PM9/19/16
Hah, yes, I have...

John Compton

Sep 20, 2016, 4:16:12 AM9/20/16
Back in 2000-2002, I worked in my native England, so it was 'zed oh ess'
Then I moved to an American-based company & it took me two years switch that to "zee oh ess".
A few years after that, I moved back to a UK employer & thought "here we go again...".
These days I've compromised on 'zos'

John

Wayne Bickerdike

Sep 20, 2016, 6:42:46 AM9/20/16
By the time I got to Phoenix, she had left. (Apologies to Glenn Campbell).
> > > zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

> > > For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> > > send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
> > >

> > --
> > Wayne V. Bickerdike

> > send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN
> >

> --
> zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

> send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

WBSTClarke

Sep 21, 2016, 7:36:54 AM9/21/16
On Friday, 16 September 2016 16:36:08 UTC+1, jean.tho...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 21, 2001 at 2:00:29 PM UTC-4, Mike Martin wrote:
> > Is it.. zoss?
> >
> > Is it.. zee?
> >
> > Is it zee...oh...esss?
> >
> > Something else?
> >
> > Sorry if this has already been beat to death, but I am just curious how everyone is saying it...

> > send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
> > Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
>
> Hi, I called IBM today from their z/OS website. The IBM agent said "zed oh ess" or zed OS, or z/OS. The final believable word. ...:-)

The British pronunciation, I imagine the US staff would say "Zee Oh Ess", but we'll get our own language back one of these days. ;-)

Cheers,
WBST

WBSTClarke

Sep 21, 2016, 7:43:09 AM9/21/16
In Italy CICS is "chicks" (Ci always being "chee") I had trouble keeping a straight face too. DB/2 would be "Day Bay Dooay"! :-D

Richard Pinion

Sep 25, 2016, 4:15:12 PM9/25/16
I've been watching old episodes of the British TV program UFO by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. Lots of count downs 10,9...1,0.
Not one single zed, always zero as in hero with a z. That's my observation of the day.

Bill Woodger

Sep 25, 2016, 4:40:35 PM9/25/16
The *letter* is pronounced "zed". The sound of the letter is zzz. Zoo, Zorro, zero.

For even older UK TV, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Cars

Richard Pinion

Sep 25, 2016, 5:06:38 PM9/25/16
I see said the blind man to the deaf lady.

> The *letter* is pronounced "zed". The sound of the letter is zzz. Zoo, Zorro, zero.

"How do you spell ZEE?"

"ZED EEE EEE".

"How do you spell ZED?"

"ZEE EEE DEE".

Tony H.

Edward Finnell

Sep 25, 2016, 10:36:47 PM9/25/16
Can't argue with a zedlot-but this ol' horse is getting pretty odiferous.
Can we move? Puleeze....

In a message dated 9/25/2016 9:24:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
to...@HARMINC.NET writes:

"How do you spell ZED?"