HMC and JAVA and Browser ...again/still

Field, Alan

Nov 11, 2015, 4:47:01 PM11/11/15
I was able to use the integrated console maybe once before it all quit again.

I have the JAVA console log but I don't know how to interpret it to decide what's wrong, or to fix it if I could.

How do I open a IBM service request to the HMC folks to send them the java console and hopefully have them tell me how to fix it?

I have poked around in SR both hardware and software but it isn't obvious how to get a request to the HMC folks

Thanks

Alan Field
Systems Engineer Principal
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MN

651.662.3546

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Dinesh Subramanian

Nov 11, 2015, 7:02:16 PM11/11/15
Hi Alan,
I used below options while opening IBM service request for HMC issue sometime back. Please try with these options and let us know.

Here are the details.

Problem Details
.
Product or Service: Hardware How-to for System z Consoles 1.2.0
Component ID: 5665ESCON
.
Operating System: Appliance Firmware

Thanks,
Dinesh

Dinesh Subramanian

Nov 11, 2015, 7:13:40 PM11/11/15
I don't think my previous note was having enough information.

In the initial screen for opening service request I selected "Problem with Appliance" , in the next page searched with keyword as "System z" and got the option to select for HMC issue.

Product
Usage and Q&A Support for System z Hardware V1.1
Component
Hardware How-to for System z Consoles 1.2.0

Thanks,
Dinesh

Field, Alan

Dana Mitchell

Nov 12, 2015, 10:02:05 AM11/12/15
I'm having the same problem, and I was also able to open a SR using these pointers. Not exactly intuitive to get here....

Dana

Dana Mitchell

Nov 12, 2015, 11:27:49 AM11/12/15
I got a response to my SR quickly:

This email is in regards to PMR - 99999,999,000. The issue which you are facing is - How-to for System z Consoles 1.2.0 . Unable to access 'Operating System Messages' remotely on HMC via browser . This issue is delat by our hardware team . Please get in touch with our Hardware Team . Their number is 1-800-426-7378 option 2 then option 1. The Hardware team will assist you .
As this issue is related to Hardware we are closing this ticket.

Dana

Elardus Engelbrecht

Nov 12, 2015, 11:33:22 AM11/12/15
Dana Mitchell wrote:

>This issue is delat by our hardware team .

Uhhh, what is 'delat'?

A new way to say it is today 'Friday'? ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Jousma, David

Nov 12, 2015, 12:55:02 PM11/12/15
Yea, when we had problems with HMC software, we had to start with our local CE first. Cumbersome to say the least, and eventually, I got to the software guy that supports it.

Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering
david....@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Jousma, David

I don’t recall the exact circumstances of your problem, but IBM sent me these instructions for accessing HMC 2.12 level with JAVA 8. I'm attempting to attach a PDF file which interestingly came from SHARE. If it doesn’t come through, search share website for session 16705, page 40. EDIT: found the link: https://share.confex.com/share/124/webprogram/Session16705.html although, the document appears to be missing.

Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering david....@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H p 616.653.8429 f 616.653.2717

Nov 12, 2015, 2:46:09 PM11/12/15
Thanks to all. I have been talking to IBM HW support. Not sure their recommendation helped but I have discovered:

Using my default browser, Aurora (Firefox Developer Edition ver 44) I can’t access.

Chrome ver 46.0.2490.86 m I can’t access

IE ver 9.0.8112.16421 I can’t access

Firefox ESR ver 38.4.0 I CAN access

IBMs recommendation appeared to be for lower levels of Java and HMC, however the SHARE presentation by Brian Valentine states
“JAVA 8.x and HMC 2.13.0 Remote Browser connection will work – no customization required”

That is my configuration Java 8 and HMC 2.13.0 and with an appropriate choice of browser it seems to be true.

Alan Field
Systems Engineer Principal
Blue Cross Blue Shield of MN

651.662.3546

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Dana Mitchell

Nov 13, 2015, 12:00:37 PM11/13/15
Thanks Dave for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me. I think I have to investigate getting our HMCs updated to 2.13.

Dana

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 18:01:28 +0000, Jousma, David <David....@53.COM> wrote:

Here is an alternate link to the same document: http://people.redhat.com/fmiranda/systemz/SHARE.ORG/Seattle%202015/Seattle%20SHARE%20Session%2016705%20-%20HMC%202_13_0.pdf

Start at page 37

Jousma, David

Nov 13, 2015, 1:13:28 PM11/13/15
I'll cut/paste the text of the relevant slides. My apologies if the formatting stinks

Remote Browser Support
Remote Browser HMC 2.13.0 HMC 2.12.1 HMC 2.12.0
IE (Internet
Explorer)
Version 10 & 11 Version 8, 9, & 10 Version 8 & 9
Firefox Version 24.8 & 33 Version 17.5 & 21 Version 10
Google Chrome Version 38 Version 26 Version 20
● Remote Browser Workstation with JAVA 7.x or 8.x to HMC 2.13.0

Remote Browser Support (cont.)
 Using Java 8.x on remote workstation
►If connecting to HMC 2.13.0,
● Remote Browser connection will work
– no customization required
►If connection to HMC 2.12.1/earlier,
● Create Custom Java Policy on workstation
– See next chart

Remote Browser Support (cont.)
 Customization for Java 8.x on remote workstation to HMC 2.12.1
1) Create a custom java policy file in the users home directory
● Windows: Save as C:\Users\<username>\.java.policy
● Linux: Save as /home/<username>/.java.policy
● Replace <address> with the IP address or hostname of each HMC
● Contents
– grant codeBase "https://<address>/-" {
– permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessClipboard";
– permission java.net.SocketPermission "<address>:9960", "connect,resolve";
– };
2) Add the following line to the Java deployment preferences file
● deployment.security.use.user.home.java.policy=true
● Windows:
● C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties
● Linux: /home/<username>/.java/deployment/deployment.properties
3) Close/restart the browser
► Note: “accessClipboard” line for “Copy” on Operating System Messages
● Regardless of Java level on workstation
Dave Jousma
Assistant Vice President, Mainframe Engineering
david....@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

Nov 19, 2015, 12:16:45 PM11/19/15
I have the same problem with my HMC and JAVA. I followed the steps outlined in the SHARE doc and it did not work for me either. I did notice a missing MCL below from Resource Link for my machine. Could be part of the problem. My HMC is at 2.12.1 on a z12-BC. I'm going to schedule my CE to apply it and see if it helps.

MCL H49564.103 Bundle 43
Release date: 2015/06/24
MCL installation: NONDISRUPTIVE
MCL contents:
This fix is needed to allow Java Applet based tasks to work with the new version of Java.
Update to SE mirroring task to include some additional files to mirror.

Impact:
Function - Applet Updates to coincidence with the new level of Java on the HMC/SE.
Update to SE mirroring task to include some additional files to mirror.

Dependencies:
Coreq H49565.018

R.S.

Nov 19, 2015, 5:27:49 PM11/19/15
I'm still recommending virtual machinee with customized downlevel
browser, with downlevel Java, with necessary customization.
Used solely for HMC and other appliances connectivity (like Broceade
FICON switches and directors).
It won't stop working suddelny just after another update. It is (yes!)
safe as long as you use it solely for HMC connections.
You can have many versions of the virtual machine if you need. (you
don't usually).

BTW: I have customized my Java on my real (read: constantly updated)
machine enough to have full connectivity to use all the features of HMC.
So I use virtual machine mostly for FICON switches and other devices.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa, www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kon...@mBank.pl
Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2015 r. kapitał zakładowy mBanku S.A. (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 168.840.228 złotych.