3270 PCOMM Emulator support for Japanese

Cameron Conacher

Jan 7, 2020, 6:52:55 PM1/7/20
Hello folks,
Quick question.
Anyone doing support work for Japanese language?
Using PCOMM Emulator sessions?

I have been working at this for twenty+ years.
We used to run EXTRA, and our own home grown emulator sessions.
Now we are running PCOMM.
All I want to be able to do, is have my PCOMM Emulator 3270 sessions
installed so that I can choose configure, and then select Japanese from the
Host Code Page drop down list.
I simply want to have IBM-930 available in the list.
Currently my list shows Italy, and then Latin America; no "J"s at all.

I expected that I could have our support folks run some magic incantation
to have IBM-930 added to my drop down selection list.
I cannot read or write Japanese. I do not want to be able to type Japanese.
I just want to be able to look at some Japanese text in a file, and first
see the Japanese characters, and then second be able to browse the file in
ISPF HEX mode to see the actual underlying hex values.

So far I have had no luck.
Is there anyone here who happens to be a PCOMM resource, and understands
what I need to ask our support folks to do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Paul Gilmartin

Jan 7, 2020, 8:36:26 PM1/7/20
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 18:52:33 -0500, Cameron Conacher wrote:

>Anyone doing support work for Japanese language?
>Using PCOMM Emulator sessions?
>
>I simply want to have IBM-930 available in the list.
>Currently my list shows Italy, and then Latin America; no "J"s at all.

Don't know about PCOMM, but x3270 shows:
Japanese w/Kana (CP930)
Japanese w/Latin (CP939)

My guess is that you'd have much trouble entering ISPF commands
without the Latin quadrant.

Choice of emulator depends on which hue of lipstick you want to
adorn the pig with.

-- gil

Timothy Sipples

Jan 8, 2020, 5:00:39 AM1/8/20
Cameron,

I'll take a wild guess that you (or somebody else if not you) have
installed Personal Communications without its Japanese font files. Yes,
when you install Personal Communications you can select or deselect
specific national language font file collections. You (or somebody else if
not you) should be able to go back into the installation program to add the
missing font file collection(s).

My second wild guess is that your Microsoft Windows installation doesn't
have the Japanese language group installed (fonts, keyboard, etc.) For
example, in Microsoft Windows 10 (latest) you would select Settings (from
the main Windows menu) -> Time & Language -> Language -> Add a preferred
language. Then you can add Japanese from there. No, you don't have to
switch your Windows display language to Japanese, but it's quite likely,
especially for proper keyboard support, that you'll need Microsoft's
Japanese language group installed.

If you've checked both of those areas already then I've run out of my
"wild" guesses. :-)

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions, IBM Z &
LinuxONE

E-Mail: sip...@sg.ibm.com