[Birding-Aus] RFI What is a baby pelican called?

Trevor Hampel

Nov 10, 2010, 6:09:56 AM11/10/10
to Birding-Aus
Hi there birders,

I hope someone can help me with this.

This morning I was the guest speaker on Australian Birds at our local
Ladies Probus Club.

One of the ladies asked me "What is a baby pelican called?"

I had to admit that I didn't know if there was a special name, other
than chick or nestling. A search of the internet has not thrown any
light on this either, except I found two references to "toddlers" on
less than authoritative sites.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trevor

--
Trevor Hampel,
PO Box 611,

CHECK OUT MY BLOGS:

Trevor's Birding: http://www.trevorsbirding.com/

Trevor's Travels: http://www.trevorstravels.com/

Trevor's Writing: http://www.trevorhampel.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/TrevorHampel

to: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au

http://birding-aus.org
===============================

bob gosford

Nov 10, 2010, 6:13:37 AM11/10/10
to Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
a pelican...

--
Bob Gosford
Crikey.com

Graham Buchan

Nov 10, 2010, 6:15:27 AM11/10/10
to Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
Coochy-coo?

Carl Clifford

Nov 10, 2010, 6:00:52 PM11/10/10
to Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
Trevor,

I think you will find that the only name you could call is a chick.
Looks like no one got around to giving names to young pelicans.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 10/11/2010, at 10:09 PM, Trevor Hampel wrote:

Hi there birders,
one

Stephen Ambrose

Nov 10, 2010, 6:54:52 PM11/10/10
to Carl Clifford, Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
I noticed that someone on the internet has referred to them as "toddlers". I
don't know if it was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek name, but it does seem
appropriate considering the way that fledgling pelicans waddle on land.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW

Philip Veerman

Nov 10, 2010, 7:46:03 PM11/10/10
to Carl Clifford, Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
Thanks for that comment, Carl.

Please no one start a trend for separate names for all the chicks of all
the bird groups. We have enough troubles settling names for species of
birds, e.g. Koel and monstrosity group names like Cuckoo-shrike (when we
could use "Cush" instead as a group name - because they aren't cuckoos
or shrikes but Cush would retain some sense of etymology and still be
distinctive).

Let alone the idea of collective nouns for birds and all sorts of other
things.

We are exotic enough with our monotremes: "puggle" for a baby platypus
or echidna.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au

Nov 10, 2010, 9:45:59 PM11/10/10
to Philip Veerman, Carl Clifford, Trevor Hampel, Birding-Aus
I do not think Cush is a word that should even be considered.

If I remember my (limited) Arabic well enough.

Stay clear of it, I cannot even explain on line.

However Trevor if you want to know call me at home.

Trevor Cowie

Laurie Knight

Nov 11, 2010, 2:53:21 AM11/11/10
to Carl Clifford, Birding-Aus
How about a pelicanet?

> unsubscribe(in the body of the message, with no Subject line)

Laurie Knight

Nov 11, 2010, 5:06:51 AM11/11/10
to Trevor Cowie, Birding-Aus
Perhaps it could be used as a moniker for Stoned Curlews

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cush

Merrilyn Serong

Nov 11, 2010, 5:24:05 AM11/11/10
to birdi...@vicnet.net.au
I wonder if people are more likely to give different names to females,
males and young of birds that are consumed or used on farms, e.g. duck,
drake and duckling; goose, gander and gosling. However, that doesn't
work quite so well for hen, rooster and chicken. It's also interesting
that for these three, the female tends to be the inclusive term if there
are lots of birds of indeterminate sex.
Back to the question, I guess there are not many pelican farms.
Cheers,
Merrilyn

Denise Goodfellow

Nov 11, 2010, 2:57:42 AM11/11/10
to L&L Knight, Carl Clifford, Birding Aus
We refer to Pied Imperial-pigeons as PIP's. So when a pair nested in our
yard we called the young a Pipette!
Denise