Laughing for no reason - please help if you know anything about this

stas...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2008, 11:37:41 PM4/10/08
Hi Everyone,
My wife has been laughing for no reason all her life. Consistently
every night for the past few years. Sometimes it's not a laugh but
crying if she feels sad at the moment. It never lasts for more than 10
seconds. She says she has done this for along as see can remember.
She's now 28. When we first started dating 6 years ago, I notice that
the 'laughing-for-no-reason' would come at random times sometimes two
or three times during a day or on other days, none at all. She says
when it happens, it didn't hurt. She says she can feel it coming like
a sneeze. When it happens, its uncontrollable, no matter how hard she
tries to control her laugh or cries. When I asked her if she thinks
of anything when it happens (laughing or crying). She says she doesn't
think of anything nothing in particular. But now it has become more
consistent in recent years, right before falling asleep. She would
almost fall asleep and this would wake her up and then she goes to
sleep. It has almost become a ritual.

I have tried everything I could in trying to convince her to see a
doctor, although I'm a little conflicted myself. The thought of
finding out that this thing is something horrible is what frightens
her (and me. i know i'm selfish for this) more than anything else.
She also argue that on one hand, this 'thing' has not gotten worse and
it seems to be becoming more stable. It doesn't hurt her. It doesn't
do anything, besides making her look loony when she starts to seemly
laugh for no reason out of the blue.

The closest thing I found on the web that this could be is 'partial
epilepsy' which I really hope it's not. If anyone knows anything
about this, please help if you know more about this. Thank you very
much.

Sincerely,
Mark
stas...@gmail.com

Entertained by my own EIMC

Apr 11, 2008, 11:51:56 AM4/11/08

It is very likely (most likely) that the motivational force behind this
symptom is nothing but neurons that have been "long-term potentiated"
and chronically tend to "let of steam" (fire in bursts) as a result of
experiences early in the life of your wife, experiences that caused a
conditioning-in (or neural imprints) that has been given different name
by different people - for example "primal pain" by Arthur Janov.

It is likely the laughing is (though perhaps somewhat unusually frequent
and regular) a way that your wife's brain has come to deal with "primal
pain type memories" and (iow) that it is part of how your wife's
"defense system" handles the potentially deeply distressful memories.
These are a kind of memories that are normally *not* consciously
registered (or at will recallable) but instead chronically actively
"specifically/synaptically hibernated' ['me so to speak'] - in different
people more or less efficiently and adaptively so - and automatically
and inertly thus *kept unconscious* by this particular AND FAR FROM
unique "safety-valve"-like synaptic route. What reveals the origin of
the symptom is precisely that it is very close to and sometimes actually
is being routed into crying instead of laughing.

I have personal experience of this kind of effect, in that when a sad or
grief-like feeling is about to surface within me I sometimes *actually*
sneeze the feeling away.

I recommend you to take a serious look at Arthur Janov's website at
www.primaltherapy.com.

Sincerely,
Peter

J.A.Legris

Apr 11, 2008, 6:09:07 PM4/11/08
> stash...@gmail.com

I'm no expert - you should get some professional advice. Sounds like
she has so-called gelastic seizures, which can be relatively harmless.
Here's an article:

http://www.ilae-epilepsy.org/ctf/gelastic.html

Evidently, the thing you don't want is hypothalamic hamartoma, which,
judging from her stable symptoms, is not what she has.
Notwithstanding, here's some more info:

http://www.hhugs.com/

--
Joe

pwola...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2014, 7:18:51 PM1/5/14
It sounds like just a harmless quirk. Aside from possible embarrassment, I can't see what problems this would cause.
We all have weird quirks of our own, and its best not to sweat it.

prettyv...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2015, 1:46:43 AM7/11/15
She might have pba it causes laughter and or crying for no reason

sandeepex...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2017, 1:06:02 PM8/3/17
i have same things, in a whole day i'm laughing 5-6 hours without any reason and whenever i see something then i create something my self then i started to laugh and when i started, it's very hard to control my self even i got tears on my eyes but didn't stop :) now same time i'm laughing when i'm writing this article

kerimth...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2017, 2:55:52 PM11/23/17
My friend's mum laughs for no reason as well. There are these 3 girls on my school bus and they laugh for no reason. I think its something to do with like a medical symptom or a medical problem or something, but I'm not too sure of what it could be. But there's always a reason as to why everything that is unusual or not an everyday thing that you see happens and there is an answer as to why people laugh for no reason, or should I say, why people THINK there is no reason but there actually is and all the other unusual things that are going on.

camero...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 10:30:06 PM4/10/18
Hi um i have a feeling you have an answer vut just incase lately i have been curious about this myself mainly because i have been laughing at everything that happens to me between broken bones or nothing i was curious i honestly played it off to being my body developing this increase laughter to laughing gas after some broken fingers but that does not feel right biologically for the most part it could just be a minor in balance of the mind which to the friend of my fahter who is a psychologist says its a coping mechanism besideds that off the top of my head it is gelastic seizure hope not anyway get it checked out which you probably have but still and if you have keep an aye on it i enjoy it cause my sis who is 5 loves my random laughing fits because she likes to laugh anyway keep an eye out and your good.

nathe...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2018, 6:38:29 PM8/19/18
Hello. I have it as well. Uncontrolable laughing fits.

Bethan...@me.com

Sep 17, 2018, 4:18:57 PM9/17/18
Sounds like it could be PBA. PseudoBulbar Affect is pretty harmless but can be embarrassing. It can be treated with medications such as Citalopram. It mostly presents as uncontrollable laughing or crying often for no reason or even at very inappropriate moments. I understand what she means when she says it feels like a sneeze coming on. Mine only last a few moments, less than 30 seconds, but I start to cry and look upset even though I have no corresponding emotional trigger. It’s worth looking into, if it is PBA it can be easily treated.