Group Experiment Night next Thursday

Miriam

Mar 22, 2015, 9:35:32 AM3/22/15
to biologigaragen_members, biologi...@googlegroups.com, zqx...@hum.ku.dk, Ahmed El Dessouky, Polina Bachlakova, Amanda Munkgaard Olesen, Lasse Antoni Carlsen, laura. troi, Kennet Harpsøe
Hi biohackers,

After a set of bio & beers meetups and many other international biohacking events, it is time we started our local cool group experiment nights (GEN). If you are interested, please read more on our website

The short version is the following:
  • Topic: Bioluminescence. We will extract from marine animals a special bacteria that glows in the dark, then grow it. Every participant will be able to take the bacteria home and embed it in future projects. We will attempt to use the bacteria to make a self-glowing night bulb.
  • Participation fee: 50 kr (coffee, cake, 2 beer cans and biomaterials included)—members have 50% off

Feel free to post the email anywhere else and also please invite your friends. The more the merrier.

See you,
/Miriam

Miriam

Mar 24, 2015, 7:37:33 AM3/24/15
to biologigaragen_members, Polina Bachlakova, johannes...@gmail.com, timea.sz...@gmail.com, teller...@gmail.com, Amanda Munkgaard Olesen, Lasse Antoni Carlsen, laura. troi, Ahmed El Dessouky, biologi...@googlegroups.com
Hi biohackers,

We are 8 people that signed up to participate in the next GEN on Glowing bacteria. The size of the group is ideal for leaning and having a successful experiment, but there is still room for a few more. So, invite your friends as well :).

I will be tonight in BiologiGaragen's lab (HC Ørsteds Vej 5, look for the sign saying "Labitat") from 18:00 preparing the biomaterials for the GEN. Feel free to join if you have time and want to check the lab and meanwhile learn how to diy sea water complete, agar plates, autoclaving, etc. This is an informal event, as I am prep-ing the material for Thursday. So just show up if you have time :).

Best,

/Miriam

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Noah <noahro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yo, I think that is awesome style just to run it and see who shows up.  less planning is better. lets hang soon.

fresh,
noah

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Miriam <35.68n...@gmail.com> wrote:
True that the next GEN is way too sudden. But I think BG should get more into doing projects like that rather than almost professionally preparing "workshop" style events.

I want to do the experiment, for myself. If I have two or ten people showing, it makes little difference to me. It is a collaborative event so we will all learn together tons of stuff, including me. I just have to prepare some extra material for other people showing, but it is not biggie. I will keep it low key with a home-like feeling.

I would also like to get to see you. It has been a while.

/Miriam

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Noah <noahro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Miriam,
looks awesome, and good initiative on getting this started.  sorry i have been so out of things lately, the head is still treating me rough, and i'm swamped with work and many other things, so BG has fallen down in my time allotment.  hope things are going well, and seems like stuff is cooking.  cool that you have a GEN already this Thursday, do you think that gives people time to sign up?  lets touch base soon.  I already have something thursday evening, but i will try to stop by to say Hi for a bit.  good luck and talk to you soon.

fresh,
Noah

Miriam

Mar 25, 2015, 10:18:04 AM3/25/15
to biologigaragen_members, Polina Bachlakova, Johannes Fogtmann, Szőcs-Puskás Timea, noget andet, Amanda Munkgaard Olesen, Lasse Antoni Carlsen, laura. troi, Ahmed El Dessouky, biologi...@googlegroups.com, he...@plen.ku.dk, alex.du...@vice.com, er...@unswornindustries.com, zzv...@gmail.com, christa...@gmail.com
Hi to all,

Great news, we are 12 for the GEN tomorrow.
I have posted an update plus info on the event here: http://biologigaragen.org/2015/1178

For the participants, please email me if you need more info or other contact details.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

/Miriam

Miriam

Mar 30, 2015, 6:17:35 PM3/30/15
to biologi...@googlegroups.com, Lasse Antoni Carlsen, Kennet Harpsøe, Ahmed El Dessouky, Polina Bachlakova, biologigaragen_members, laura. troi, Amanda Munkgaard Olesen, zqx...@hum.ku.dk

Hey biohackers,

I have updated our blog http://biologigaragen.org/blog with photos and a report of the event. Everyone is encouraged to comment on it and share how their bacteria is doing.

For those that have been updated on the event, I have great news. The strain I had and thought was dead, is still alive and glowing. I managed to revive it, by spreading it on the plate and allowing a couple of days to pass. It started glowing tonight again. Hence, guys, be patient. In a week or so, your bacteria will glow too.

I will soon post on the international events we have been part of the past months. And also on future projects and GENs. I am now working on a GEN on building a microfluidic system directly on our nails (using the acrylic technique) and running on it the well known enzymatic reaction between beta galactosidase and Xgal (it turns blue).

Other ideas, suggestions?

Martin Malthe Borch

Mar 31, 2015, 12:34:30 PM3/31/15
to Miriam, biologi...@googlegroups.com, Lasse Antoni Carlsen, Kennet Harpsøe, Ahmed El Dessouky, Polina Bachlakova, biologigaragen_members, laura. troi, Amanda Munkgaard Olesen, zqx...@hum.ku.dk
Looks fun, sad I missed it.
I hope that the bacteria is glowing when I am back from easter break..

We could meet up in lab to check it out?

- M

Med venlig hilsen,            Martin Malthe Borch

@MMBorch  |  +45 61713656