Fwd: Counter Culture Labs Newsletter

Martin Malthe Borch

Dec 26, 2014, 10:39:02 AM12/26/14
to biologigara...@googlegroups.com, biologigaragen
FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Counter Culture Labs <in...@counterculturelabs.org>
Date: 2014-12-23 14:38 GMT+01:00
Subject: Counter Culture Labs Newsletter
To: Martin Borch <mmb...@gmail.com>

Counter Culture Labs
Hi fellow aspiring biohackers and citizen scientists!
There have been lots of changes at Counter Culture Labs over the past few months, so we figured it was high time to update you with another not-so-monthly newsletter…

We’ve found a permanent home! We’re now part of the wonderful community springing up at Omni Oakland Commons in Temescal, next to fellow hackerspace Sudo Room. The Omni is currently having a building fundraiser - check it out here (make sure to watch the video for a sneak preview of CCL!). Also keep you eyes peeled for when Counter Culture Labs will have its own kickstarter campaign in early 2015.

We’ve done a lot of work getting the lab up and running, bringing in three giant lab benches, a 6ft wide biosafety cabinet, fridges, freezers, incubators, autoclave, and more. We are also very excited to have scored an automated fermentor, bioreactors, an acoustic microscope, a Tesla coil, and even an electron microscope!, We’ve already started doing a few experiments, and we’ll be really ramping those up in the new year. And yes, we are accepting members! Support YOUR lab by becoming a Founding Member, at $75/mo - how’s that for a great New Year Resolution?

Interested in helping run the place? We will also be holding board elections soon, and are looking for new board members - let us know if you’re interested!

We have some great new classes and projects to start off 2015. Our Real Vegan Cheese project is making great progress. They won an award for Best Community Labs project at the international iGEM synthetic biology competition! And if you just want to come check out the space and its curious inhabitants, drop by for some beer and pizza during our Biohacker and Mad Scientists Social, Tuesdays at 7pm. To stay informed on all our events, join our calendar at MeetUp.com.

If you want to get even more involved with building our community, join us on Google Groups.

Classes and projects starting 2015:

Schedule:
Sat Jan 3 - Using the Fly to Model Longevity
This is a project driven seminar course. Here we will be exploring the influences of calorie restriction, microbiome, ibuprofen, and chemicals that manipulate the nutrient sensing pathways affect lifespan and aging parameters. This class repeats every other Saturday.
Sat Jan 3 - Coast-­To-­Coast Journal Club
Meet in person or on the web, together with people from the greater biohacker community across the US. We discuss papers to dig into the science, extricate protocols and examine results and their ramifications. Repeats the first Saturday of every month.
Sun Jan 4 - Science and Society Course
An online seminar course with weekly in person meetups with the distinguished professor, Sean O Nuallain.
Wed Jan 7 - Bioluminescence!
Who doesn’t like glow-in-the-dark biology? We’ll go over the wonder and science behind bioluminescence - the ability of living organisms to create light. And you get to walk out with your own bottle of bioluminescent dinos. May turn into a longer-term project.
Thu Jan 8 - Biohacking Book Club
Let's think about the connections between fiction, science, and society as we read speculative fictions with a biohacking theme. Will be meeting once a month.
Sat Jan 10 - Introduction to Synthetic Biology
Learn the terminology, logic, and syntax of synthetic biology. This is how we can build molecular machines as sensors and manufacturers. New session every 2 weeks.
Sat Jan 10 - Mapping the Ecology of the Bay
A 3 session cycle where we look at our environment using the tools of modern biology. This class is great for first time molecular biologists and those interested in helping with this rewarding project.
Sun Jan 11 - Soap Club: DIY Lotion and the science behind the goodness
Our own Jennifer Kaehms talks about the science behind making the best lotions, soaps, and scents.

This email was sent to mmb...@gmail.com
CounterCulture Labs · 4799 Shattuck ave. · Oakland, CA 94609 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

--
Med venlig hilsen,            Martin Malthe Borch

@MMBorch  |  +45 61713656