Call for stories! When Citizens Do Science: Stories from Labs, Garages, and Beyond.

Maria Chavez

Feb 4, 2018, 5:35:38 PM2/4/18
Hi All,

I wanted to pass along this call for stories.

http://nibjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Citizen-Science-Call_FINAL.pdf

'Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics will publish a collection of personal stories from individuals involved in citizen science research. Citizen science is a growing area in which the lay public is involved in research in dynamic and important new ways. This enables new questions to be asked, new methods to be pursued, and new people to contribute, often without the usual oversight provided by institutions and funding agencies. Citizen scientists do environmental research, animal research, human research including clinical trials, identification of photographs, or collect other data. This movement has implications for traditional science and for human participants in trials run by citizen scientists. Among some of the most challenging and interesting are the ethical implications of this new scientific research.'

If you are interested in submitting a story, we ask you first to submit a 300-word proposal—a short description of the story you want to tell. Inquiries or proposals should be sent to the editorial office via email: narrative...@gmail.com. We will give preference to story proposals received by February 28th, 2018.

We plan to publish 12 stories (4 – 10 double-spaced pages or 800 – 2000 words) on this topic.  Some additional stories may be published as online-only supplemental material.

I hope to see some of our community submitting their stories of working at BioCurious.

Cheers,

Maria