Call for Proposals: Symposium on Exploring Science in the [Art + Design] Studio at CCA

Tito

Apr 14, 2015, 3:18:20 PM4/14/15
to biocu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
Saw this come across the foo camp mailing list and figured you might be interested!

Tito

From: Michael Shiloh <michaels...@gmail.com>
Subject: [FooCampers] Fwd: Call for Proposals: Symposium on Exploring
	Science in the [Art + Design] Studio at CCA

Hello everyone,

The California College of the Arts (where I teach) is hosting a symposium
on education at the intersection of Art and Science and we are seeking
proposals for papers.

I hope that many of you will find this interesting and will submit
proposals.

I'm afraid that deadline is May 1 so if you find this interesting you'll
have to get your proposal in quickly.

The official description starts:

Exploring Science in the [Art + Design] Studio

Hosted by California College of the Arts, the 2015 AICAD Symposium examines
the place, purpose, potential, and role of science in contemporary [Art +
Design] education. The symposium is sponsored in part by a National Science
Foundation grant, Exploring Science in the Studio.

[Art + Design] have always had relationships to science, whether it be
through chemistry (color theory), physics (architecture), or biology and
anatomy (figure drawing). Now, in the age of global climate change and
rapid technological advancement, science, in both its pure and applied
forms, is of increasing importance to artists and designers as both a
source of inspiration and as a practical tool.

But what is the relationship between science and [Art + Design] in
education? How do artists and designers learn about and use science in
their work and how might scientists benefit from the creative imagination
of artists and designers?

I've attached the official call. Please forward this to anyone you think
might be similarly interested, and I hope to see you at the conference.

Thanks,
Michael
michaels...@gmail.com