Need UI/UX designer/implementer for synthetic biology project

Marc Juul

Apr 26, 2016, 9:41:38 PM4/26/16
to noisebri...@lists.noisebridge.net, sudo-discuss, Counter Culture Labs Members, biocurious
Hi! I'm working on a project to develop an open source decentralized system for sharing biological samples (DNA, strains, etc). Think decentralized github + inventory tracking + biological sneakernet :)

I'm doing the client and server side javascript but we need someone to help us with the UI/UX design and implementation.

Let me know if you're interested and we can meet up somewhere.

Formal description below.
------

# Description​

Work with the bionet team to develop UI/UX for web app aimed at facilitating the  decentralized sharing of open source physical biological materials (DNA, strains, etc). Work will include developing web app look and feel through communication with the rest of the team, sketching wireframes, building mockups and implementing a UI for the web app using HTML and CSS (no javascript).

# Time commitment

Part-time employed position for now.

Immediate.

# About the team​

We're a small team of six dedicated humans working on aspects of the project
ranging from wetware and legal to hardware and software. You will work closely with our software lead to integrate UI with frontend/backend functionality, and collaborate with all team­members on aspects of the app as they relate to their respective areas of expertise.

# Software details​

The project is new and development on the first prototype is underway but in
its early stages. All code is being released under open source licenses. The software stack is nodejs + leveldb + browserify using modules and ideas for decentralized/offline web apps developed by folks including substack, mafintosh, dominictarr and maxogden. Focus is on development and re­use of small modular components rather than reliance on existing frameworks.

# Skills​

UI/UX design experience. Extensive experience with modern web app front­end
html+css development for both desktop and mobile. Experience with development of custom graphical UI assets. Basic command line experience and ability to use git/github a plus. Javascript experience a plus but definitely not required. Experience with open source development a plus.

# About The BioBricks Foundation​

Our mission is to ensure that the engineering of biology is conducted in an open and ethical manner to benefit all people and the planet.

--
marc/juul