escaped quotes in newick filenames

Yan Wong

Jun 27, 2014, 3:55:07 PM6/27/14
to bio-...@googlegroups.com
Me again! Sorry.

The Bio::Phylo Newick parser doesn't seem to cope with escaped quotes in taxon names. I've attached a test file to demonstrate.

(http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/newick_doc.html says: "Single quote characters in a quoted label are represented by two single quotes.")

test.pl

Rutger Vos

Jun 27, 2014, 5:02:52 PM6/27/14
to bio-...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't they be balanced?

Yan Wong

Jun 27, 2014, 6:24:40 PM6/27/14
to bio-...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 27 June 2014 22:02:52 UTC+1, Rutger Vos wrote:
Shouldn't they be balanced?

According to the spec (and a number of examples I've found around the internet), doubled-up single quotes don't need to be balanced within names, no. For example, this is a valid taxon used in the Open Tree of Life, which has been newick-validated

'Planipapillus_sp_''Bennison''s_Lookout''_ott841740':0

Rutger Vos

Jun 30, 2014, 4:15:04 AM6/30/14
to bio-...@googlegroups.com
Mmmm.... well, Bio::Phylo doesn't support that :)

Yan Wong

Jun 30, 2014, 5:42:57 AM6/30/14
to bio-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 30 June 2014 09:15:04 UTC+1, Rutger Vos wrote:
Mmmm.... well, Bio::Phylo doesn't support that :)

:) Replaced them with standard double quotes for the time being, in case anyone else hits this.