BinarySpace High Altitude Balloon Launch - Binary-03 - 9 June 2018

Tom Van den Bon

May 30, 2018, 5:30:05 AM5/30/18
to binar...@googlegroups.com, house...@googlegroups.com, Riaan Greeff, Derek White, Matthew Varkevisser, Devin Pearson, Schalk Heunis, Richard Morgan, Kevin Trethewey, Kriek, Christo (CJ), Candice Mesk, Retha Fitchat, Hanno Smit, Chris Gryffenberg, Michael Bernhardt, Andries Smuts, Wilhelm Wolff - Business Connexion, Zet...@gmail.com, Hans, Dr Gary Immelman, Liv, bar...@pishop.co.za, jo...@pishop.co.za, Christopher Zinn, he...@pishop.co.za, nak...@pishop.co.za, Hannes P. Coetzee
Hi Everybody,

We (BinarySpace - www.binaryspace.co.za) are doing another High Altitude Balloon Launch on the 9th of June. Everybody is invited to join us for the day to launch and chase the balloon. We will be launching from Leeukop Farm Airfield in Deneysville, Free State.

Previous Launches:

About the Mission - Binary 03

We have some new equipment to test on this flight:

SSTV Camera Transmitter (400mW-500mW) - Will take a photo and transmit it every 5 minutes.
Callsign: ZR6MUG
Technical Info: (Still to be confirmed closer to launch)
Transmitted on 144.500 FM, Martin 1 Mode
You can use MMSSTV to decode (http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmsstv.php)

RTTY Telemetry Transmitter (400mW-500mW) - Will transmit telemetry data every 30 seconds
Callsign: ZR6TG
Technical Info: (Still to be confirmed closer to launch)
Transmitted on 144.600 FM
You can use FLdigi to decode (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fldigi)

APRS Transmitter (300mW) - Will transmit position and altitude every minute

Technical Info:
Callsign: ZR6TG-11
Transmitted on 144.800

We will also have the following on the payload:

1x Gopro camera
1x Science Lab (Raspberry pi based with lots of sensors) designed and deployed by https://www.pishop.co.za

Sasolburg Amateur Radio Club (ZS4SRK) will join us with the tracking and recovery of the payload. As usual all amateur radio enthusiasts everywhere are invited to come play with us :)

Please also share to any Amateur Radio Groups/Clubs
Payload is estimated to be around 900g. We are using a 1000g balloon (white). We are estimating a 3 hour mission from launch to recovery.

We have the following challenges happening during the launch:

(1) First person to recover the payload gets a box of craft beer (from http://www.degarve.co.za)
(2) Footage of the Payload coming down will be rewarded with 2 boxes of craft beer (from http://www.degarve.co.za)
(3) Special Awards will be given to everyone who captures the SSTV images and RTTY telemetry. Please mail tvdbon@gmail with the decoded information, time of transmission (bonus if you can provide a recorded sound clip) and your location and equipment used (optional)

Primary launch window: June 9 2018 - 7:00 (we start setting up somewhere between 6:00 and 6:20)
Flexible Use of Airspace has been approved

Depending on weather or technical difficulties the launch and/or the payload contents can change at any time, check the telegram group for up to date information:

Telegram group used for tracking and comms: https://t.me/joinchat/AjadWA9ghb6YIEL13YdQAQ

Launch Site: Leeukop Farm Airfield.: 26* 52’ 02.44”S 28* 04’18.51”E

Special thanks to Lizette Meyer for allowing us to launch from their field again :)

Fun Facts:

This will be the 3nd BinarySpace High Altitude Balloon Launch
This will be the 3nd launch using the Trackduino APRS tracker
This will be the 2st launch at the Deneysville Airport
This will be the 2st launch utilizing new homebrew tracking equipment
This will be the 1st launch with SSTV camera
This will be the 1st launch with RTTY Telemetry

Everybody is welcome to come and join us :)

Tom Van den Bon

May 30, 2018, 1:36:57 PM5/30/18
to binar...@googlegroups.com, house...@googlegroups.com, Riaan Greeff, Derek White, Matthew Varkevisser, Devin Pearson, Schalk Heunis, Richard Morgan, Kevin Trethewey, Kriek, Christo (CJ), Candice Mesk, Retha Fitchat, Hanno Smit, Chris Gryffenberg, Michael Bernhardt, Andries Smuts, Wilhelm Wolff - Business Connexion, Zet...@gmail.com, Hans, Dr Gary Immelman, Liv, bar...@pishop.co.za, jo...@pishop.co.za, Christopher Zinn, he...@pishop.co.za, nak...@pishop.co.za, Hannes P. Coetzee
Sorry everybody, I messed up the tracking and comms group link. New link is https://t.me/joinchat/AjadWA9ghb4D4pvdCGO5gA

Regards,
Tom

Tom Van den Bon

Jun 8, 2018, 2:16:07 PM6/8/18
to binar...@googlegroups.com, house...@googlegroups.com, Riaan Greeff, Derek White, Matthew Varkevisser, Devin Pearson, Schalk Heunis, Richard Morgan, Kevin Trethewey, Kriek, Christo (CJ), Candice Mesk, Retha Fitchat, Hanno Smit, Chris Gryffenberg, Michael Bernhardt, Andries Smuts, Wilhelm Wolff - Business Connexion, Zet...@gmail.com, Hans, Dr Gary Immelman, Liv, bar...@pishop.co.za, jo...@pishop.co.za, Christopher Zinn, he...@pishop.co.za, nak...@pishop.co.za, Hannes P. Coetzee, Leon Lessing
Final Notes for our Binary03 High Altitude Balloon Launch Tomorrow:

Aiming for 7:00 launch

Launch Location:

Launch Site: Leeukop Farm Airfield.: 26* 52’ 02.44”S 28* 04’18.51”E

We will start setting up from around 6:00 - 630

Tracking Info:

SSTV Camera Transmitter - Will take a photo and transmit it every 5 minutes.
Transmitted on 144.500 FM, Martin 1 Mode
You can use MMSSTV to decode (http://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmsstv.php) or Robot36 Android App on Playstore

PSK31 beacon, 14.081 MHZ, 21.081 Mhz and 28.121 Mhz (It will cycle through those frequencies)
Callsign:  ZS6LMG

APRS Transmitter  - Will transmit position and altitude every minute

Technical Info:
Callsign: ZR6TG-11
Transmitted on 144.800

Challenges:

(1) First person to recover the payload gets a box of craft beer (from http://www.degarve.co.za)
(2) Footage of the Payload coming down will be rewarded with 2 boxes of craft beer (from http://www.degarve.co.za)
(3) Special Awards will be given to everyone who captures the SSTV images and HF Beacon. Please mail tvd...@gmail.com with the decoded information, time of transmission (bonus if you can provide a recorded sound clip) and your location and equipment used (optional)

Regards,
Tom - ZR6TG
--
Tom Van den Bon