Re: [house4hack] Lasercutter - donations

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Nov 25, 2013, 4:17:28 AM11/25/13
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Reminder that this is the last week to get some donations in that will get matched by H4H (;

I tested my rails over the weekend, they look good.  I suspect I will be couriering a parcel down to H4H Centurion this week (;  so some building can start. PS I will actually be in town tomorrow night! (for a change manage to move weekly commute from wed to tue) so we can meet at h4H and discuss build (:

Included will be:
2 x X-rails (lasercut) + carriages with V Groove Bearings
3 x NEMA23 steppers + 3 x pulleys (Johan does not have steel backed belt, so we can try with Fiber backed?)
2 x Endstop switched
Crimp connectors and wiring for Endstops
2 x 90deg Laser Mirror Mounts
1 x Laser Head
1 x 220V Terminal set (wiring)
25mm Alu tubing + Connect-it corners to make outer frame
Emergency Stop switch
etc..

Peter

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Andrew / H4h

All pledgers have paid:

QHarley: $65US – Paid
PBooysen: $65US – Paid
CLee: 1 x Cubie (R550 – value of Pi we would use too) – Pledged
GvdBerg: $65US – Paid
OJvRensburg: R650 – Paid
Francois: R500
C. Scholtz: R500
A. Vermeulen:  R600
BankBuilder: R3000
Driven Software / K Trethewey: R3500

Did i miss anyone?

Will put together list of spends and goals tonight

Attached some pics of the X rails though for your enjoyment (:  v2 now with spring preload

Peter

Hi All,
  Let's have a last round of fund raising for this great project.   H4H will match all donations made Rand 4 Rand by the end of next week, so there will still be time to donate if you have not done so already.

Peter can you please let the group know how much has been raised (pledged & paid) thus far, what our target is, and what cool stuff we could do extra if we raised more than the target.

On 22 Nov 2013, at 11:11, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Picking up the version 2 rails at 4 this afternoon for proper testing over the weekend (:

If all goes well, we can have the next sets cut on Monday

Will keep you posted - exciting weekend ahead

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Finished beta testing of my rail system, and applied fixes to the design - just sent of revised design to Shaheer, hope he can still squeeze job in before Friday.

1.  I made the lower idler bearing a spring loaded design - to compensate for any deviance in the bends.  Carriages now 3-parts that bolt together.
2.  Dropped the unnecessary side supports, with the 2 x 45 degree bends the center section is strong enough on its own
3.  changed mounting orientation - removing 4 x bends (saves around R30/set plus easier installation)
4.  Moved position of homing switch to better contact carriage
5.  Adapted motor mount to fit either NEMA17 or NEMA23 motors.   NEMA23's might be better after all.

Attached DXF for review - ready to opensource it as CC-BY-NC (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/)... so please honor the licence already applicable to attached design.

PS: the first beta test set is up for grabs if anyone wants to build a nice big printer, medium duty CNC?  contact me out of thread if you want it, cheap cheap - check the video I posted to youtube or on http://www.facebook.com/openhardwarecoza

I also ordered 3 x NEMA23's for h4H from the donation funds and some t2.5 pulleys from johan at my special supplier prices.

And lastly, Thanks Driven Software / Kevin Trethewey, we received your proof of payment for R3500!   That's awesome! Thank you

Peter

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some beefy hardware these laser mirror mounts. Time to CAD some carriages

On Nov 15, 2013 6:19 PM, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Another good suprise. Lasercutters finished my rail prototypes early!

Braved two highways in the rain to go pickup.

And heres a video of first test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dn_CBM9LPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What do you think? Worth a test fit?

Peter

On Nov 15, 2013 11:55 AM, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mirrors and laser heads arrived at PO

PARCEL TRACKING RESULTS

Item Number: II286260955ZA was last scanned on: 2013/11/14 at 09:46
Location last scanned: BALLITO
Currently has status of: At Office
TRACKING
LINE
TYPEDATETIME BRANCHCOMMENTS
1At Office2013/11/1409:46BALLITOFirst Notification to recipient
2In transit2013/11/1314:02DURMAIL (HUB)
3In transit2013/11/1113:55JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
4From Customs2013/11/1109:07JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
5To Customs2013/11/0811:43JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
6Incomming International2013/11/0811:42JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah we scratched the 40w about 85 messages ago in thread (;

Definitely going 100w.

So lets recap

1.  Initially would have been 3 x machines of 40w, one being a smaller portable
2.  After discussions on capabilities - we decided to scratch the portable and rather up the others
3.  Since we have not had any donations from KZN yet we also scratched the KZN machine - and instead I am now building the KZN machine out of own pocket (will still stand at H4H KZN - but will belong to me as I paid for it)
4.  Quentin is also building himself a 100w out of pocket
5.  So the funds raised so far will all be allocation toward the Centurion Laser (:

Spent so far:
2 x Heavy Duty Reflector Holders @ $19 each = $38
1 x Laser Head @ $18.5 each
HT Cable @ $4.25
50mA Panel Meter - for manually adjusting output power = $9.50
2 x Military missile launch switches @ $3 each = $6 (safety first)
1 x 30A power switch @ $5
1 x Red laser diode dot $1 (help with beam alignment)
1 x Arduino Nano:  $14
1 x Nano Screw Terminal breakout: $12
12 x 624VV groove bearings @ $2 each = $24
1 x CubieBoard = 0.00 (donated by Lee! - go support him so he can donate more (;

Total Spent US:   $132.25

ZA Buys
25mm Square Tubing and Bellice connectors:  R600

Next Spend:
24v Power Supply (help find best price before I order from china @ $29 - which is what I paid for mine)
Linear Slides - as reported will get back my prototypes from the cutters on Monday and test, cost yet unknown - but estimate under R1000
Stepper motors, belt, pulleys:  R400+100+150
Lasercut Perspex panels:  Acrylic is opaque to 10.6um IR light - so makes a good safety shield.  I am doing my laser in a smoky brown 3mm acrylic which gets lasercut then slid into OpenBeam frame.   will check cost - have so far only cut the front, and was around R400 excl openbeam

Design Decisions:
Z Axis automated or not?   Adds cost, and its not like  you really adjust Z during a cut - makes focussing easier when starting cut though.  Each new thickness of sheet you place on bed, you need to tune the height

CO2 tube cooling: Radiator vs proper chiller?

Plan of action
1.  Laserhead and mirror mounts should arrive this week
2.  if the linear slides test out OK on Monday - i'll get H4H's set cut in stainless steel (prototypes in mild steel to save cost)
3.  Already bought the Alu for the frame - just tweaking design - I want to cut it for you before couriering down, to exact lenghths
4.  Build frame and install Linear slides, motors, belts, endstop switches
5.  Wiring - bough a few kms of wire - courier should be dropping off today - will calculate lengths and buy connectors so we can do this professionally
6.  Do the wiring
7.  Install laserGRBL on the Nano and wire endstops and stepper drivers to the relevant pins
8.  Install Cubian on the CubieBoard, apt-get install python, then install LasaurApp and connect it to the Nano.
9.  Connect and run some movement tests and do calibration
10.  Install a marker or a 5mw laser to do test and learn the software toolchain while we order the tubes and PSU
11.  Order the PSU and tubes - due to the size of the crates these are going to be Imported by Sea (yay that I moved down to Durban) - interesting exercise too - wiating on the first tube now as learning exercise.  ETA 6 weeks.  Cost about R8000
12.  Install laser tube and PSU, connect to compressor and water supply + cooler
13.  Startb compressor, load up file and stand back to make some Awesome!
14.  make a Contributors Plaque

Material
On a related note, we need material.  I popped into the local maizeys on Tuesday and bought a sheet of 3mm perspex (R795) and some delrin, ptfe and other useful engineering plastics.  Bill came to around R1100.   So i figured i'd enquire about "offcuts" while the saw my sheet down to size. Managed to walk out with about 1/4 sheet at 0 charge and turns out for another few hundred I could bring a bakkie and collect the entire pile!

Worth checking if the one in silverton does the same.  And start getting that going.  Could also be a cost saving as we could use some of that material to make the H4H frame?

Peter

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Org Jansen van Rensburg <org...@gmail.com> wrote:
It look as if we might be able to go for the bigger (size) and better (power) model. Peter?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Kevin Trethewey <kev...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Schalk

We're the guys that run the coderetreats that I've seen advertised on this list.

I've been to lambda luminaries and I know a couple of our Driven team have visited H4H at some point.

I'd be very happy to visit and chat one evening (we have bold plans!).

Kevin

On 15 Nov 2013 7:11 AM, "Schalk Heunis" <schalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Kevin

Thanks, that is very generous.  Maybe you want to come tell us more about Driven Software one evening at House4Hack?

Schalk
Cell. +27 82 777 7098

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Kevin Trethewey <kev...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Peter

I would like to donate R3500 on behalf of Driven Software, a local consultancy that actively supports the ZA developer community.

Kevin

On 14 Nov 2013 8:46 PM, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Andrew Turpin! R3000 donation!

Peter

On Nov 14, 2013 4:37 PM, "Schalk Heunis" <schalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ani you rock!

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Ani Vermeulen <jace...@gmail.com> wrote:
R600 Done.
:)

On Monday, 11 November 2013 10:15:23 UTC+2, Peter van der Walt wrote:
Easiest at the moment, is to drop a donation into OpenHardware.co.za's account

Openhardware
: Savings: 62381685068
FNB Branch Code: 250655

That's anyway linked to the Paypal used to buy most of the goods anyway (:

Thanks Ani

PS:  No news from MakerBeam yet

Peter

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Ani Vermeulen <jace...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys,

Am having a bit of a financially disastrous month, so I wanted to find out how the donations for the Laser Cutter work before all my money is gone.
Someone mentioned a bank account earlier but no actual details. Who/how would we go about paying if we wanted to donate?

Thanks

Ani

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 17:43:39 UTC+2, Quentin Harley wrote:
This looks very promising...

Sent from my iPad

On 09 Nov 2013, at 16:14, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hold thumbs, maybe they can help us a bit:

Nov 25, 2013, 4:50:04 AM11/25/13
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnold

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Arnold de Bruin <arn...@nurv.za.net> wrote:
Hi Peter

Almost forgot. Put me down for R1000. I will make payment today. Can you give me banking details. I think it has been mentioned somewhere in the posts but I missed it.

Regards
Arnold

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Nov 25, 2013, 4:51:08 AM11/25/13
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com

Openhardware
: Savings: 62381685068
FNB Branch Code: 250655

Kobus, definately 100w - top of the line (;  with motorised Z axis as well (;

About R4000 for cable ties :P  lol... no joking. two packs should do it

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Nov 25, 2013, 4:57:24 AM11/25/13
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com
So - those tubes - anyone with import-by-sea experience who can help us save some money? the supplier is also getting some quotes which I'll have tomorrow.

Quentin, I assume you are joining the buy?

Peter

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Nov 25, 2013, 5:17:17 AM11/25/13
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arnold!

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Feb 25, 2014, 3:05:54 AM2/25/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, openhard...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com

Hi all.

Been swamped with work, and waited out the Chinese new year, but at last

100w tube and PSU paid for this morning.

Will ship by land to Shanghai in 2-5 days and then onward to Durban by container in about 2-3 weeks (sharing container so departure date not exactly set. Once filled...) After which it will be 4-5weeks until it arrives in Durban

Once I have those in hand I can design the mountings, rest of the side panels

Peter

On Jan 25, 2014 6:31 AM, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

So a little before midnight last night, the last few months of worked started coming together into

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qGCqg-Ldkks&feature=em-upload_owner&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqGCqg-Ldkks%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

Now you know where some of your money went too (:

On another front. Got the final shipping quotes etc and it looks like we are good to go mostly. But we still need a few thousand as a buffer for tax and clearance fees, So keep those donations coming if you can.

There are a few things we can improve with more funds too like auto Z height etc...

Peter

On Jan 24, 2014 2:38 PM, "Peter van der Walt (Gmail)" <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Got it! Will make a plan

On Jan 24, 2014 2:36 PM, "C.Lee Taylor" <le...@leenx.org> wrote:
Please remember, that it needs a new and improved push button switch, I can't find one that fits.

Thanks!!

On 24 January 2014 14:35, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Whoo! Great stuff.

No worries  my Cubie there too. Will flash yours when it gets there

On Jan 24, 2014 2:33 PM, "C.Lee Taylor" <le...@leenx.org> wrote:
On that note, CubieBoard with Devin Pearson, hoping that he will be past H4H PTA before I will.  Have not had a chance to flash with NAND with Linux, just been too busy and don't wish to hold up the process any more than I have already.

On 24 January 2014 14:09, Peter van der Walt (Gmail) <peter.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Dennis.

Too late for the Double Up. EFT probably easiest and cheapest (;  and much needed!  The side panels are a bit expensive (but safety critical)

As an FYI, i was at the house this morning and Quentin helped me get the beast to the point of the attached pic (;

Still some distance to go!

On Jan 21, 2014 11:39 AM, "Dennis Kriel" <dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:
HI LaZaur People

I would like to make a donation, where would be the best place? The Paypal account or H4H EFT? Is is to late to get it backed by H4H?

Peter van der Walt (Gmail)

Mar 24, 2014, 8:07:45 AM3/24/14
to house...@googlegroups.com, binar...@googlegroups.com, openhard...@googlegroups.com

Controller V2 pcbs arrived today.

Fixes some issues and maker wiring easier

Attached

Peter

20140324_135059.jpg