Interesting tech for hard drives

scott

Feb 20, 2015, 10:46:23 PM2/20/15
to bike...@googlegroups.com
3 layers for a hard drive, 3 bits = a byte (yeah, 8 bits from 3) Pretty
cool.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/168619-3d-magnetic-storage-breakthrough-enables-100tb-hard-drives

Scott

Michael Haney

Feb 21, 2015, 12:10:57 AM2/21/15
to bikeshed
If we loaded every slot on our server that would give us 2400TB or 2.4PB. Holy Shit!

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
https://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/

"Do not think like a Human. You have the ability within you to create anything you wish. Take responsibility for your journey, and make no adjustments out of fear. Truth is, you are all highly powerful entities walking on this planet, disguised as simple biological beings, and the disguise fools everyone...even yourself."
--- Bashar

Free Your PC, Open Your Mind www.ubuntu.com

scott

Feb 21, 2015, 12:49:53 AM2/21/15
to bike...@googlegroups.com
On 02/21/2015 12:10 AM, Michael Haney wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM, scott <meand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3 layers for a hard drive, 3 bits = a byte (yeah, 8 bits from 3) Pretty
>> cool.
>>

>> http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/168619-3d-magnetic-storage-breakthrough-enables-100tb-hard-drives
>>

> If we loaded every slot on our server that would give us 2400TB or 2.4PB.
> Holy Shit!

I'm wondering what impact this will have on the SSD market. It has to
introduce another level of breakage. If one layer goes bad, how to
recover it? I do love the premise, though.

Scott

p.s....I guess my posts are getting through, I just can't see them,
again. Google must have changed their modus operandi.