What is the Bike Commuter Mentor Program?

Ed Moyers

Jan 12, 2011, 5:31:27 PM1/12/11
to bikem...@googlegroups.com

Who are the members of the Charlotte Bike Commuter Mentor Program, and what do we do?

Who are the members of Charlotte Bicycle Commuter Mentor Program?

We are commuters who have chosen to use our bicycles for part of our commute to and from work, and who may also choose to use our bikes for other utilitarian purposes such as shopping, visiting friends, etc.  At the same time, we also love cycling.  We enjoy the sense of connectivity we have riding our bikes that can't be experienced in a car, the bright colors and sweet smells of flowers blooming, the sounds of birds chirping and children's laughter, the expression of neighborliness when we say, "hi" to our neighbors, or even complete strangers.  The sense of exhilaration and readiness for a new day when we arrive at our job with our hearts pounding from a good workout on our bikes.

Why have we joined together?

Because Charlotte is early in its development of cycling as a form of transportation, it's possible to feel alone when you're commuting by bike.  We have come together so that we can share our experiences with one another, learn from one another, and encourage folks who want to start commuting.  In this way, we hope to accelerate Charlotte's acceptance--AND adoption--of cycling as a desirable form of transportation.

Is BCMP an advocacy organization?

Yes and no.  Our primary function is to help one another, as well as the broader community, to learn and develop safe cycling habits in transportation.  Our outreach into the community often results in advocacy as a byproduct of our work.

How does BCMP encourage commuter cycling?

We do this in a number of ways, including this website, our monthly dinner and breakfast gatherings, our semi-monthly e-mails to those who sign up for them, sponsorship of special activities during the annual Bike!Charlotte, and distribution of information at Earth Day and other venues.  At times, we have served on citizen's groups that advise local government bodies (such as the group that provided input into updating the Charlotte Bicycle Master Plan in 2007 & 2008).  We also assist members who want to encourage their employers to develop policies and facilities to encourage cycle commuting.

How can I join BCMP?

BCMP is not a structured organization with formal membership and dues.  It is made up of folks who are interested in cycle commuting.  If you join this Google group, and have your name put on the distribution list for our semi-monthly e-mail (which is always brief), you have effectively joined BCMP.

How active can I get in BCMP?

Again, BCMP is not a structured organization with officers or a board of directors.  Many folks limit their activity to the use of this website and receipt of the semi-monthly e-mail.  Some attend the monthly gatherings, and may even participate in outreach activities like Bike!Charlotte, working at a booth or table at Earth Day or other venues, or assist with maintenance of the semi-monthly e-mail or this website.  Feel free to plug in where you feel comfortable.

How can I get more information?

If you want to learn more, and can't find the information you're looking for on this website, then please e-mail us.

This conversation is locked