FW: Knight Foundation: Cycling Summit and Community Conversation

John Cock

Jan 13, 2015, 4:12:29 PM1/13/15
to bikem...@googlegroups.com

FYI. . .

John Cock
Vice President, Southeast Region

Alta Planning + Design

108 S. Main Street, Suite B (physical)
PO Box 2453 (mailing), Davidson NC 28036
ph:
704-255-6200 (office); 704-968-5053 (mobile)
www.altaplanning.com

transportation | recreation | innovation

"Creating active communities where bicycling and walking are safe, healthy, fun, and normal daily activities"

Alta is a Platinum level Bicycle-Friendly Business

Jan 23, 2015, 9:54:21 AM1/23/15
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
It's important the cycling community talk among themselves, but I would hope we could speak loudly and clearly to CDOT and Park and Recreation officials when the opportunity is presented.  Will the "Cross Charlotte Trail" incorporate any accepted bikeway design standards?  The session Jan. 27, might provide a clue.

XCLT-B2T-Web.jpg

Patrick George

Jan 23, 2015, 11:36:50 AM1/23/15
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
Great point, particularly when compare to the usability of the light rail trail.   Now that they've seen the usage and value of that section will they plan any better for the extension?  I realize they're different branches of City government but now would be the time to influence design considerations.

Pamela Murray

Jan 23, 2015, 3:40:33 PM1/23/15
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
Great points.  I'm not sure but it seems to me the greenway is planned as a multiuse path (MUP) or Shared Used Path (SUP) which have different design guidelines than a bikeway.  I would like the bikeway design standards but not sure what the differences are.

Pam
--
Sign up for a Cycling Savvy class today. https://register.cyclingsavvy.org/findaclass Pamela Murray 2415 Belvedere Ave Charlotte, NC 28205 704-372-0052 https://www.facebook.com/PMTNR (this is a link to our facebook page) http://cltspokespeople.org/ (this is a link to the Charlotte Spokes People website)