Bike Drive for Trips for Kids

Pamela Murray

Feb 1, 2016, 8:43:49 PM2/1/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
My daughter Julia is holding a bike drive for Trips for Kids.

Bike drive for Trips for Kids Charlotte

Piedmont Middle IB
Community and service project
By: Julia Murray, Maria Mendoza, Lesly Miranda

Feb. 6th Saturday 2-5 pm
Feb. 13th Saturday 2-5 pm
Feb. 20th Saturday 2-5 pm

Drop off your dusty but not rusty bikes.
Bike parts and accessories too

At The Vine church (formerly Kilgo church): 2101 Belvedere Ave

--
Sign up for a Cycling Savvy class today. https://register.cyclingsavvy.org/groups/north-carolina Pamela Murray 2415 Belvedere Ave Charlotte, NC 28205 704-372-0052 https://www.facebook.com/PMTNR (this is a link to our facebook page) http://cltspokespeople.org/ (this is a link to the Charlotte Spokes People website)

Simon

Feb 19, 2016, 9:42:07 PM2/19/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
I have a 24" Hot Rock bike with front suspension that was abandoned at my school's PE department after their bike unit. It's in great shape and a very nice bike worth $175+. I'll drop it off tomorrow.

Simon

Mark Ortiz

Feb 19, 2016, 11:11:29 PM2/19/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com

I’m interested to know what school this is that has a bike PE unit, and what the instruction was like.  I’d also be interested in hearing about any other such classes in schools.  My impression is that many schools around here don’t have PE at all, or teach kids anything about rules of the road, much less sound cycling practices.  I at least got a little in third grade: ride on the right, walk on the left; obey the laws and signs; these are the basic hand signals.  It was classroom stuff, and I don’t think more than a part of one period was spent on it, but evidently most kids nowadays don’t even get that, judging by their behavior.

I do know about the “Let’s Go North Carolina” materials available from NCDOT, but far as I can tell most teachers and school administrators don’t.

Mark Ortiz

Pamela Murray

Feb 20, 2016, 12:55:39 AM2/20/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Pamela Murray

Feb 20, 2016, 12:57:42 AM2/20/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
This is my daughter's community service project for her school, Piedmont Middle IB.

CMS does have PE.  Bikes are available to PE teachers to use.  I know some have taken advantage of them such as Olde Providence.

Simon

Feb 20, 2016, 7:52:23 AM2/20/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
I teach at Charlotte Country Day School and we do have a bike unit in PE grades 5-8. The primary intention is to encourage bikes for fitness and fun, but their is a basic bicycle safety component and they do ride through a neighborhood as a final activity.

Pamela Murray

Feb 20, 2016, 11:51:46 AM2/20/16
to bikem...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  What a great idea.  Let me know if you ever need help with that.  I'd be glad to volunteer.
Pam