BigQuery Updates - 50% off Long Term Storage, automatic schema detection, AVRO format

Seth Hollyman

Mar 24, 2016, 12:11:52 PM3/24/16
to BigQuery Announce

As a fully-managed, serverless Analytics Data Warehouse, we continue to deliver to our users innovative features that make it easier, cheaper, and faster to derive intelligence from huge datasets. Our users can take advantage of these features automagically, without any downtime or upgrades - the way fully managed is meant to be!

Highlights include:

  • Long Term Storage Pricing makes it easier for users to query store historical data in BigQuery by applying an automatic 50% discount on storage that’s older than 90 days.
  • Capacitor is our next-generation storage engine that implements a number of groundbreaking optimizations, accelerating some queries up to 10x!
  • Poseidon is a new data ingest and export mechanism that accelerated data transfer in and out of BigQuery 5x, with data ingest never affecting your query performance!
  • Automatic Schema Detection simplifies loading CSV and JSON files into BigQuery, without first defining a schema.
  • AVRO has been added as a data format for both loading data into BigQuery and querying data via the Federated Query model.
  • A new Create Table UI streamlines how our users create new tables in the BigQuery Web UI.
  • Public Datasets Program gives the community a great way to share and use public data in BigQuery.

More details can be found on the Google Cloud Platform Blog.

-The Google BigQuery team