"Welcome to Nginx!" while testing a local installation of BBB under VB

Andrew

Nov 7, 2010, 3:09:01 PM11/7/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello,

I'm trying to get BBB .7 working under an Ubuntu Server 10.04
installation on a VirtualBox computer. My desktop is an Ubuntu 10.10
computer.

I've done all steps in the Installation page, however, when I try to
access BBB through my browser, all I get is a "Welcome to Nginx!"
message.

If I run bbb-conf -c, I get the following:

-------------------------------
Current Configuration:
Kernel version: 2.6.32-24-generic
Memory: 497 MB

/var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml:
Port test (tunnel): 10.0.2.15
Red5: 10.0.2.15

/etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton
server name: 10.0.2.15
port: 80
bbb-client dir: /var/www/bigbluebutton

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/
bigbluebutton.properties (bbb-web)
bbb-web host: 10.0.2.15

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp (API
demos)
bbb-web-api host: 10.0.2.15

/etc/asterisk/bbb_extensions.conf (asterisk)
voice conf application: konference

** Potential Problems **
-------------------------------

Some information:

A) VirtualBox is set to work as NAT with the following added
parameters:

VBoxManage setextradata "Ubuntu Server" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/
LUN#0/Config/bbb/Protocol" TCP
VBoxManage setextradata "Ubuntu Server" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/
LUN#0/Config/bbb/GuestPort" 80
VBoxManage setextradata "Ubuntu Server" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/
LUN#0/Config/bbb/HostPort" 8088

B) As you may notice, the system only has 512mb available, since it's
a virtual computer running on a computer with 1gb of physical RAM.
I'm performing this installation not to use BBB, but only to check if
I can install it correctly through SSH. In other words, I just want to
get to the demo login screen and not perform any actual conferencing.

C) I get the ** Potential Problems ** message, but no problems are
actually listed. I've checked with ifconfig and the IP is the same as
the one that BBB is using (10.0.2.15).

Finally, when I go to localhost (or 127.0.0.1):8088 on my browser, all
I get is the "Welcome to nginx!" message.

I've checked the log files and, as far as I can see, there are no
errors except for a missing favicon.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice; I've been
working all day on this and haven't been able to work it out.

Thank you in advance!

Fred Dixon

Nov 7, 2010, 3:29:37 PM11/7/10
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
An Andrew,

It is surprising that BigBlueButton installed ... most of the times in
512M of memory you'll get an exception from the Java installation of
Java itself.

Your main problem is NAT. You need to set the networking to Bridged
so that BigBlueButton has an external IP address. such as
192.168.0.102, something that you can ping from our desktop.

Once that's in place, you can set

sudo bbb-conf --setip 192.168.0.102

This tells BigBlueButton to listen to incoming requests on that IP
address and consider them directed towards BigBlueButton. If, for
example, you had this working, then changed the IP address of your
BigBlueButton server to 192.168.0.222 but didn't update
BigBlueButton's configuration, you would get the Welcome to Nginx
screen.

Finally, we recommend you try installation of 0.71-beta. It has more
warning messages in bbb-conf --check that can help you resolve
installation issues.

Regards,... Fred

Andrew

Nov 8, 2010, 7:00:55 AM11/8/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Thank you, Fred!

I changed the setting from NAT, tweaked a few things and got it
working.

Amazingly enough, I was even able to join a conference :)

Cheers!

Andrew