[bigbluebutton-dev] [GSOC] proposal draft -VNC

Maciej Sawicki

Apr 4, 2010, 10:32:23 PM4/4/10
to bigbluebutton-dev
Hi,
I'm sending my VNC proposal draft. I will appreciate any comments.

//*********draft begin*******//
Abstract:
BigBlueButton (BBB) is an open source integrated web conferencing
system. Most important (but not the only one) BBB’s use case is online
teaching (distance education). BBB has already most needed tools for
real time online lectures (for example audio/video conferencing, chat,
presentation modules).
BBB also has screen-shearing module usable in IT related classes.
However, this approach allows only to present applications installed
on teacher’s computer. Extending BBB with Virtual Network Computing
(VNC) client will allow to remote use of laboratory computers or
virtual machines hosted on cloud. That will allow presenting any
computer program installed on any operating system. Another benefit of
such an approach is improving security by allowing students to
practice in dedicated sandbox environment.

Detailed Description:

My name is Maciej Sawicki, I am a 24 years old undergraduate student
(third year) at Warsaw University of Technology (Center of Open and
Distance education), at Faculty of Electronics and Information
Technology taking a bachelor's degree in computer engineering. In
September 2010 I will be starting my final year.
My passion is Information Technology, especially using IT to enhance
productivity and using IT in education. My main IT related areas of
interest are Rich Internet Applications (RIA), mobile development,
Open Source Software, innovations (startups) and physical computing.
I’m developing my programming skills at Engineering Academy "Diamond
Polishing" (http://www.szlif.edu.pl/ - site in polish). I’m also
member of Linux User group at my University.

My non-IT-related hobbies are, aviation (I am glider pilot) and old
cars (I have 1972 Volkswagen Type 2). Painting my bus could be my
backup plan, but I would prefer to work on GSoC during the summer.

I have about five years experience in programming, but I have not work
for a company yet. I made few small projects as a freelancer
(websites, small Java Swing apps). My favorite projects that I have
been working on:
1. „Hudson Vector” – Build, together with me friend, hardware solution
for visualization Hudson Continues Integration server projects status.
My part of this project was web app in Python (CherryPy) ran on
OpenWRT based router and Arduino sketch (communication with python
over serial and with Atmel ATtinys micro controllers using custom
protocol, using bit banging).
-gps emulator for Android – Adobe Air app that allows to select
position on Google Map and sends coordinates to emulator.
-"3D paper game" for Livescribe Pulse Smartpen (Java ME CLDC).
-Java File System Watcher – Java SE app that monitors selected folder
and generate RSS/ATOM feeds about changes.
I have also some experience with Android and PHP and C++.
I feel most confident with Java. I love Action Script. Using right
tools for the job is part of my style, so I would love to learn new
languages. I’m learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
I use SVN in my projects I would like to learn more about Git.
Learning Groovy should be quiet easy for me since I all ready know
something about Rails. I would also like to try Scala.
I use Linux on my laptop (but for programming in Adobe Flex and for
Android I prefer Windows). I have some experience as administrator
(LAMP, small network, also Cisco CCNA course). I will describe myself
as advance user I can a little more than being able to exit from vi
without touching reset button ;). I’m not Linux guru, but I feel
comfortable with it and I’m not afraid of console.
My IDE of choice is NetBeans but I use Eclipse a lot too.
I hope that by taking part in the GSoC I’ll reinforce my skills in
coding and long-distance cooperation, while by extending BBB in this
way help extend its usage in IT related classes.

Goals:
The main goal of the project is to allow students to work remotely on
machines specially prepared for given course.
To fulfill this goal, BBB needs to gain the following features -
http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/71287 (link to pivotal tracker
backlog, includes some time estimates)

Link to project discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-dev/browse_thread/thread/de6780602437ab81/80e3d05f93d07d95
System architecture overview: http://sawicki.nu/bbb/bbb_vnc_without_proxy.png.

Useful tools:
http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php tightvnc server for Windows and
Linux and client in Java
http://flashlight-vnc.sourceforge.net/ - vnc client in flash
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-reflector/ - vnc proxy

In case of success I would like to work on this project in feature GSoC

//*********End of draft******/

Sending in ASCII form because this is required by Google app. Will
send my Voting and Twitter proposals soon.

best regards,
Maciej Sawicki

Richard Alam

Apr 4, 2010, 10:37:03 PM4/4/10
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maciej,

Please submit your proposal to the GSoC website.

Richard

> --

---
BigBlueButton
http://www.bigbluebutton.org
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton

Maciej Sawicki

Apr 4, 2010, 10:59:42 PM4/4/10
to bigbluebutton-dev
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 04:37, Richard Alam <ritz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Please submit your proposal to the GSoC website.

Hi Richard,
Done: http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/maciejsawicki/t127043621762

regards,
Maciej Sawicki

Maciej Sawicki

Apr 4, 2010, 11:13:08 PM4/4/10
to bigbluebutton-dev
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 04:59, Maciej Sawicki <viro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done: http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/maciejsawicki/t127043621762

I fixed (somehow) formating. I hope nobody saw previous version...

regards,
Maciej Sawicki