Java heap error

Ayush Banka

Feb 13, 2013, 2:43:35 AM2/13/13
to BG-Social...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

when loading the data as mentioned in the final part i.e. 10000 users etc.
we are getting the below error

210 Seconds:  Load is in progress
Exception in thread "Thread-15" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
 at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.zip.ZipFile$1.<init>(Unknown Source)
220 Seconds:  Load is in progress
 at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifestFromReference(Unknown Source)
 at java.util.jar.JarFile.getManifest(Unknown Source)
 at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$2.getManifest(Unknown Source)
 at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
 at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
 at com.mysql.jdbc.Util.handleNewInstance(Util.java:435)
 at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.getInstance(PreparedStatement.java:872)
 at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.clientPrepareStatement(ConnectionImpl.java:1490)
 at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.prepareStatement(ConnectionImpl.java:4253)
 at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.prepareStatement(ConnectionImpl.java:4152)
 at mysql.mysqlDBClient.CreateFriendship(mysqlDBClient.java:1149)
 at edu.usc.bg.base.DBWrapper.CreateFriendship(DBWrapper.java:231)
 at edu.usc.bg.workloads.FriendshipWorkload.addFriends(FriendshipWorkload.java:88)
 at edu.usc.bg.workloads.FriendshipWorkload.doInsert(FriendshipWorkload.java:127)
 at edu.usc.bg.base.ClientThread.run(ClientThread.java:245)
Exception in thread "Thread-17" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-22" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
230 Seconds:  Load is in progress
Exception in thread "Thread-16" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-18" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-20" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-19" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-14" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-21" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Thread-13" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Done loading friends
240 Seconds:  Load is in progress

But the execution doesn't stops .. loading continues for as long as 12  minutes..

Is this an memory limitation  issue. we only have 4 Gigs at our disposal .

-Ayush

Pradeep Nayak

Feb 13, 2013, 4:03:31 AM2/13/13
to bg-socialbenchmark
Yes, it is a memory limitation.

Have you tried changing your vm arguments in your run config ? Try setting it to : -Xmx2500M

Sumita Barahmand

Feb 13, 2013, 8:07:33 AM2/13/13
to BG-Social...@googlegroups.com
Using eclipse, right below the box for the program arguments there is box for the vm arguments, try inserting -Xmx1G into that box.

Sumita

Ayush Banka

Feb 16, 2013, 6:39:30 PM2/16/13
to BG-Social...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We changed the Xmx agruement to 1.5G, thats the largest we could do it on a Windows7 System with 6GB onboard.
it solved a few issues but we are still facing issues with 2 experiments.

Experiment 2 has a case with each user having 100 friends (with images and without images). Our schema has 2 rows per friendship so this amounts to 10000*100 friendship rows in the friendship table.
That's a Million rows in the Friendship table, for which our load phase fails after running almost 30 minutes. it gives the same Java out of heap error.

We were able to perform the experiment with 500KB size images with 20 friends per user, and are just left with the above configuration.

Did anyone else face this issue.

Please advice.

-Ayush