Activities 2013

Renato Guerra Cavalcanti

Mar 4, 2013, 4:16:21 PM3/4/13
to bes...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Last week we had thus our first BeScala meet up of 2013 with the goal to discuss our activities for this year.
So, here are some updates that we would like to bring to the group and we hope we can get more feedback from you guys.

Talks
Of course we are always interested in organising talks around Scala subjects. We will do so whenever possible.

Everybody is welcome to present something at BeScala. You don't have to be a Scala rock star or main committer of a well-known Scala open source project.

Have you introduced Scala in your company, with or without success? You can share your experience with us.
Are you developing a hobby project and would like to share it with the group? Feel free to drop us a message.

Study Groups
Next to organising talks, we would like to try something new this year.

Scala offers a huge field for exploration and we all are hacking and trying things at home. So, the idea of the study group is to create an environment where we can hack together around a given subject.

How it works?
First, a study group needs a mentor. Again, the mentor doesn't need to be a rock star, only someone that engage himself to study a given subject and guide the rest of the group.

Of course, people joining the group should also dedicate some time to explore the subject beforehand so everybody can get the most of it.

The study group meets on a regular basis (decided by the group) to hack together on the subject, discuss and learn from each other.

The BeScala will of course help to find locations and act as a communication hub.

So far, we have three study groups in mind: macros, type system and akka/async prog. But you can also come with other subject propositions. Feel free to send them to us.
And we are looking for mentors, so feel free to drop us a message if you want to participate.

Scala Coaching
Many in the group are starting to learn Scala and very often people have questions like: What is the most idiomatic way of writing that? Should I prefer pattern matching for Options or map/getOrElse?

So the idea of the Scala coaching is to organise informal meet ups where people can bring their laptops and discuss their Scala style with the group.

Kind regards,

The BeScala team

Francis De Brabandere

Mar 4, 2013, 4:35:07 PM3/4/13
to BeScala on behalf of Renato Cavalcanti
+1 for Scala Coaching :-)

Cheers,
Francis

On 4 March 2013 22:16, BeScala on behalf of Renato Cavalcanti