Dripless shaft seal noise and shaft getting hot

Walt Posner

Nov 5, 2016, 3:44:32 PM11/5/16
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone experienced this problem while under sail and at low speed
with engine on. At higher speeds engine noise drowns it out. If so what
was the remedy?

thudbranch

Nov 6, 2016, 4:57:11 AM11/6/16
to Beneteau Owners, Benetea...@googlegroups.com
Obvious answer but have you checked to see if there is sea water on the outside of and touching the seal or is there an air bubble there?  You can pull the seal motor side half  away form outer half for a split second to see if water runs out.  This process lets the air (if it is there) escape.

Walt Posner

Nov 6, 2016, 7:38:12 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

 I did squeeze the black seal and some water came out. I did not think of pulling the shaft off. I tried to squeeze some grease in thru a straw but the seal was too tight on the shaft. I also tried spraying some lubricant at the junction of the seal and shaft. I took the boat out yesterday and just set the jib. It made a slight noise once I reached 3 knots. This was somewhat better than last week and although we only ran for about 20-30 minutes the shaft was not warm at all, The transmission was a little warm. Should I loosen the 2 screws holding the seal to put some grease on the shaft? If so should I close the water thru hull to put the grease on and then open the thjru hull to eliminate any air trapped inside the seal?

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

lawrence schneider

Nov 6, 2016, 10:01:31 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Just one experience.

Routinely, while "sailing" in very light and variable winds in the Chesapeake I often leave the engine in idle while I relax and routinely "sail" and fiddle with the sails when there is wind.

I haven't experienced that issue.

Larry

Dragon3

Mohammad Bayegan

Nov 6, 2016, 10:36:10 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
It is not a good practice to let a diesel engine to ideal for a long time without a load.
You could do what you are doing but always engage your prop so there would be some load on the engine.

Marengo B 49

Walt Posner

Nov 6, 2016, 11:11:16 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Its the first time I ever heard the sound but then I have only owned the
boat less than a year and it has had very low use.

lawrence schneider

Nov 6, 2016, 11:44:36 AM11/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Mohammad,