Re: {Beneteau Owners} Digest for beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Sbreitstone

Aug 19, 2016, 9:01:57 AM8/19/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
461 v 473

I used to sail a 44cc which I understand was the same hull as the 461 but shortened a bit. Now I sail a 49 which appears to be more a kin to the 473. Very different boats. The 44CC is a Farr design and more traditional. I am guessing the 44cc is a better overall oceangoing design. I would not want to get caught in the following sea with the wide and low transom of the 473/49 design. However under normal sailing conditions the 49 is faster and more powerful. In a heavy blow the 44 would heal and spill.  The 49 rounds up when it gets over powered which I've learned to avoid as I've gotten better at sailing the boat. They are very different.   New hull designs are overall wider and higher. More cabin space and more windage. Clearly the move is towards comfort rather than seaworthiness.  But that works for the type of coastal sailing I do.    I have found the 49 to be stable, fast and sails quite well.    Neither boat would win an award for pointing. The roller furling mainsail doesn't help. Nor does the widebeam and outboard genoa tracks.   I would not want to ride out a hurricane in either of them.

Stephen M. Breitstone, Esq.
Meltzer Lippe, Goldstein & Breitstone, LLP
190 Willis Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501
(516) 747-0300
Fax (516) 747-0653

Any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) unless otherwise expressly indicated is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (516) 747-0300or by electronic mail (in...@meltzerlippe.com). Thank you

On Aug 19, 2016, at 3:11 AM, benetea...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Stewart Richardson <ste...@hotmail.com>: Aug 18 06:42AM -0700

I’m on my 18th season on my 2 cabin 461 #89 but I have the 75HP YANMAR 4JH2-THE with a 3 blade Max-Prop. I live aboard at the moment so she’s loaded but I still cruise at 8.2kts at 2800RPM. The YANMAR is a very nice engine and I have never had an issue with it. I took a YANMAR diesel course so I service it myself and access to the engine is very easy. Spares are readily available although YANMAR has some sort of distribution war going on so I can’t order parts online from the east coast(I’m in Seattle) and I have to buy in person from the local distributor who always has what I need.

I have the classic mainsail and think she is a good sailor and in anything over 10Kts apparent will easily sail at hull speed which if I recollect is 8.25kts. Top sailing speed on mine was 14.6kts during a 25kt broad reach down the straits of Juan de Fuca under full main and spinnaker during the 2006 Swiftsure Race.

The 473 is a bigger boat I have one a few docks up from me and she seems to dwarf the 461 but it appears they have the same mast and rig. I am also not a fan of the submerged transom of the 473 which just doesn’t look right.

I have always liked the 47.7 which is a similar size and I see a few of those around now at much lower prices than in the past.

Regards

Stewart

From: kevin osullivan <kosul...@hotmail.com <mailto:kosul...@hotmail.com> >
Date: 2016-08-17 20:27 (GMT-05:00)
To: beneteau-owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com <mailto:benetea...@googlegroups.com> >

David,
She doesn't hobbyhorse but puts her shoulder to the seas. We have the Westerbeke63C and have had excellent service. She will do half of apparent wind speed to about 16 knots and motors at 7.2 with 2000 rpm. My choice not to push for more but it is available. We have a 3 bladed max prop. I can get her to double digits on occasion with 22+ knots of breeze @ 60 degrees apparent. 135% triradial genny and battened furling main also tri- radial
Regards,
Kevin

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

On Aug 17, 2016 10:37 AM, DAVID Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com <mailto:davidcf...@rogers.com> > wrote:

Out of interest does the 461 hobby horse in a short water fetch? What power plant do you have and what is nice cruise speed under power and or sail?

Sent from my Samsung device

From: Donald Smith <df3...@gmail.com <mailto:df3...@gmail.com> >
Date: 2016-08-16 10:56 (GMT-05:00)
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com <mailto:benetea...@googlegroups.com>

Beneteau put the Volvo D2-75 in the 473. A good choice. The advantage of the Volvo is lower RPM for same HP out put as for example the Yanmar. Volvo also has superior parts availability worldwide. Take measurements because size may be an issue for a particular application. But fundamentally all diesels available today are good choices.

63 HP is at the bottom of the acceptable range for the 461 0r 473.

Sent from Donald's iPad.

On Aug 16, 2016, at 05:20, DAVID Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com <mailto:davidcf...@rogers.com> > wrote:

I am thinking seriously of doing a little boat shopping over the next six months.

Here are a few questions for 461 and 473 owners.

Which engjne is quieter the Yanmar or Westerbeeke?

Parts prices Yanmar versus Westerbeeke? My past experience with Westerbeeke was not great for availability and price.

As to performance is the 63 hp enough for a 461 or 473???

my 400 has a Perkins Prima 50 which runs like a champ has very pricey replacement parts which are often hard to come by.

Thanks

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
DAVID Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com>: Aug 18 10:44AM -0400

Thanks for your comments.
I have found a nice 2000 with the Yanmar and only 450 hrs on the engine.
Maybe

Sent from my Samsung device

From: kevin osullivan <kosul...@hotmail.com>
Date: 2016-08-17 20:27 (GMT-05:00)
To: beneteau-owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com>

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone On Aug 17, 2016 10:37 AM, DAVID Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com> wrote:Out of interest does the 461 hobby horse in a short water fetch? What power plant do you have and what is nice cruise speed under power and or sail?   Sent from my Samsung device

From: Donald Smith <df3...@gmail.com>
Date: 2016-08-16 10:56 (GMT-05:00)
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: {Beneteau Owners} Engines Beneteau put the Volvo D2-75 in the 473. A good choice. The advantage of the Volvo is lower RPM for same HP out put as for example the Yanmar.  Volvo also has superior parts availability worldwide.  Take measurements because size may be an issue for a particular application.  But fundamentally all diesels available today are good choices.  63 HP is at the bottom of the acceptable range for the 461 0r 473.

Sent from Donald's iPad.
On Aug 16, 2016, at 05:20, DAVID Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com> wrote: I am thinking seriously of doing a little boat shopping over the next six months. Here are a few questions for 461 and 473 owners. Which engjne is quieter the Yanmar or Westerbeeke? Parts prices Yanmar versus Westerbeeke? My past experience with Westerbeeke was not great for availability and price. As to performance is the 63 hp enough for a 461 or 473??? my 400 has a Perkins Prima 50 which runs like a champ has very pricey replacement parts which are often hard to come by. Thanks Fletch   Sent from my Samsung device--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
[...]

bruce...@comcast.net: Aug 18 06:16PM

I have a 1990 Oceanis 430 with a Perkins Prima 50 which runs like a champ. Parts are no problem in NewEngland. I think Perkins make a great engine and Beneteau made a mistake going to Yanmar.