MOTOR MOUNTS

davidcfletcher

Apr 29, 2016, 8:31:48 PM4/29/16
to Beneteau Group

For anyone who has interest I was able to obtain the specs on Perkins motor mounts.

For the Prima 50 model the OEM mounts are made and supplied to Perkins by Cushy Float.

The Cushy Float part number is 17-1610-65. The last two digits references the stiffness.  If you look on the oem mount you see tbe number 65..

The Perkins mounts do come with the height adjusters which are removable from the old mounts.

The Perkins oem are north of 160 each while the Cushy Float from tbe US distributor are 31.00.

If you do need new height adjusters it puts up the price.

All reports are that the Cushy Float are great mounts.

Mission Supply is the US distributor.

Looks like a good way to save some serious money

BTW this mount js also used on tbe Yanmar 4jh series engines.

Hopefully this info may be useful for some members.

Sent from my Samsung device

Dan Barac

Apr 29, 2016, 10:30:09 PM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, too late for me… Btw, my $700 OEM mounts have arrived from Trans Atlantic Diesel and 3 out of 4 height adjusters have bad thread and do not screw into the mounts themselves… So much for the “OEM” and price and quality… L

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

AT&T Online Services

May 2, 2016, 2:33:26 PM5/2/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dan
Is that the threads on the new adjusters? out of interest were you able to remove the old adjusters? I thought maybe two of mine might be reuseable?

Send me a picture

Fletch

Dan Barac

May 2, 2016, 9:43:25 PM5/2/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Fletch,

Yes, it is the threads on the new adjusters. Out of the four, one screws easily into all four mounts. The other three do not screw into any mounts. They seem to start, but then after less than a turn there is no way of screwing them in any more apart from I guess applying a big tool, which I have not done for the fear of damaging the female thread in the new mounts.

I have not removed my old mounts yet, nor would I attempt to start the job purely based on the hope that my old adjusters will be reusable. Also, I would prefer to use new adjusters after the old ones have been on the job for 22 years.

A friend has advised to take the new adjusters to a machine shop because it is most likely that just the ends of the adjusters need to be “machined off a bit so the thread can start”. While that may be so, after paying $700, I think I will go back to Trans Atlantic Diesel and ask them to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Dan

AT&T Online Services

May 4, 2016, 5:07:09 PM5/4/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would agree with your assessment that TAD should be on the hook. Mission Supply is the supplier to TAD and everybody else in the USA. They sell the mount 17 1600 65 fir 31.00 US $ each. The height adjuster is sold as HAD 12/16 for $69.57. Out of interest do these number show on the TD packaging? I am guess the TAD solution is about 300 more than Mission Supply.

Fletch

Dan Barac

May 15, 2016, 8:46:19 PM5/15/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fletch,

I can confirm that indeed the motor mounts I got from TAD have number 65 shown on them. Looks like I could have saved myself a lot of fun tickets if I went straight to the manufacturer.

DAVID Fletcher

May 23, 2016, 8:35:52 PM5/23/16
to Beneteau Group
Dan how did you make out with the adjusters?

Sent from my Samsung device

Dan Barac

May 23, 2016, 10:53:16 PM5/23/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Fletch,

Trans Atlantic Diesel contacted the supplier and apparently they advised to ‘muscle them in’. I objected to that but TAD told me that they can not go against the supplier’s advice, even if that means ruining the lot.

Instead, I took the studs and mounts to an engineering shop, where they put them in a lathe and fixed the threads. The problem is solved now. The shop said if I’d forced the studs I most likely would have ruined the internal thread in the mounts. They also said that the threads on the height adjusting studs as supplied were ‘dodgy’, probably from a ‘bad batch’. They advised to use anti-seize compound when doing the final install. Anyway, this is a good outcome for everyone involved I guess.

Hope you have better luck with your project.

Regards,
Dan

Dan Barac

May 23, 2016, 10:56:09 PM5/23/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

It’s actually $200 more, I paid $100 for air freight to Australia.