Leaking ports

wewag...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 6:22:39 PM9/20/16
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have one leaking port window.
I tried cleaning around glass and closing but it still leaks. Is there a way of tightening knobs or replacing gaskets?
Any suggestions?
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Schoen Fitzgerald

Sep 20, 2016, 7:13:51 PM9/20/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Mine leaked at the sides particularly and I found by putting a straight edge on the plexiglass that it had deformed to be convex when viewed from the outside. This caused a bad seal because the pressure on the glass was not even all the way around.  I found that the bolt pattern on my Lewmar windows is symmetrical and that the plexiglass can be turned inside out which forces the glass that has become deformed to get forced flat when the dogs are secured. This creates  a better seal. Worked for me. I also replaced the "O" rings on all the dogs at the same time - just took one with me to the Ace HW and got a fist full of them. You might look at that to see if that is your problem.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Sep 20, 2016, 7:15:47 PM9/20/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
PS. The dogs have a cap on them that covers the screw which can be carefully pryed off to exposed the screw.

rvluc...@yahoo.com

Sep 20, 2016, 7:22:52 PM9/20/16
to Beneteau owners group
Having done this on all our opening ports.

Some simple suggestions.
1. You do not typically need to disassemble the entire assembly.
2. Remove the velcoed trim piece.
3. Remove the screws holding the retaining frame.
4. Remove the gasket
5. This exposes the glass and the cabin top side walls.
6. The usually source of the leakage is where the two frame members come together.
7. Remove all old sealant at the junction.
8. Ensure dry. Clean with acetone. Re-caulk with silicone marine grade.
9. Let cure over night.
10. Clean thread of all screws.
11. Put frame back in place. Dab sealant on screws.
12. Reassemble.
13. If gasket is deteriorated, replace. Should be Lewmar readily available.
14. Go sailing

Bob L
Chicago
Presently w/o boat. Just sold Latitudes - oc321.
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

DAVID Fletcher

Sep 20, 2016, 7:32:30 PM9/20/16
to Beneteau Group
If you need a new gasket and the lens are crazed you might consider new portlights.

I replaced all of mine with the new style Lewmar portlights.

It takes about 30 minutes per portlight and they are far superior.

Beneteau has the best price for a whole new lens.

Sell the old ones on Ebay.

Just a suggestion

Take it as input.

No portlight wars please.

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Bill

Sep 21, 2016, 2:02:27 PM9/21/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I just discovered that the bottom of the glass in the port hole, when it closes fits flat against the gasket but the top of the glass barely touches the gasket. It is almost like it was made to go under the gasket, which can't be.
This is the case with all the windows but only two are leaking.
Any experience or thoughts about this situation?

Bill

Sent from my iPad

DAVID Fletcher

Sep 21, 2016, 2:29:56 PM9/21/16
to Beneteau Group
Defender has new Lewmar size 1 on sale for 100.00 each.

That is a pretty good deal

JKR...@aol.com

Sep 21, 2016, 3:16:44 PM9/21/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Lewmar has a shim kit to fit under the hinges &/or the latches to align everything. If you can get these from them you should be able to adjust the fit as required.

Ron
S/v Esprit