engine vents

sailordownunder

May 20, 2016, 12:47:50 AM5/20/16
to Beneteau Owners
Hi all,
On my recently purchased Oceanis 350 I found 2 air hoses in terrible state, with the reinforcement wire badly rusted and squashed . They were connected to 2 Vetus vents on the transom, the open ends just lying in the bilge. I have removed the hoses and I'm puzzled what the purpose is and if I need to replace them or not. I understand a diesel needs lots of air for combustion, but the engine compartment is not closed off and without the hoses air can flow freely from the air inlets on the transom. Can anyone explain to me what the function of these hoses is? I cannot imagine Beneteau has installed them without purpose.
Thanks much!

Michael Elliott

May 20, 2016, 8:01:07 AM5/20/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I think one of the hoses should have been attached to a blower that ran whenever the engine was on.  At least that's how it was setup on my 373.  The blower removed air from the engine compartment and the other hose brought in fresh air.  I think the arrangement was more for cooling purposes than for engine fresh air intake.

Michael Elliott

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

May 20, 2016, 9:39:15 AM5/20/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
One hose is Air supply for the engine the other one is to extract the hot air in the engine compartment.  There should be a blower in this loop somewhere.  Normally they are located under one of the air scoops.
MARENGO  B-49

Paul Schwab

May 20, 2016, 10:22:39 AM5/20/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

We have a 352. There should be at least one hose attached to a blower that pulls heat/air out of the engine compartment.  I believe there are two hoses that direct replacement air, drawn in thru the transom, to the area immediately air round the engine.

Some people have installed a cut-off switch for the blower because they don't like the noise it makes while under power. That has sparked debate on the purpose for the blower. Is it needed to ensure adequate makeup air for combustion? Is it needed to removed engine compartment fumes? Is it needed to remove heat generated in the engine compartment? Is it a combination of some or all?

I my opinion, the hoses you reference, direct fresh air to specific areas of the engine compartment and the blower sucks out engine generated heat to keep the cabin cooler.

Paul
Oceanis 352

ume...@comcast.net

May 20, 2016, 11:55:37 AM5/20/16
to beneteau-owners
Let's not forget the batteries. At least in our case (45F5), the batteries are close to the engine compartment. I want ventilation while they are charged when the engine is running.

May 28, 2016, 10:16:03 AM5/28/16
to Beneteau Owners
My Ben 343 did not have a blower installed at the factory.  There is a ventilation hose that connects to a transom mounted vent and terminates inside the engine compartment.  There are also two small vents, one on each side of the companionway that also provides fresh air to the engine compartment.  I plan to install an inline blower into the hose that terminates on the transom, mainly to exhaust heat that accumulates in the engine compartment.