windlass help

andy k

May 17, 2018, 11:19:40 AM5/17/18
to Beneteau Owners
New to a windlass---How do I disengage the chain on the windlass so that I can hoist a person up the mast with it?? 361

DAVID FLETCHER

May 18, 2018, 7:44:48 PM5/18/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Does the windlass have a drum?  If the windlass has a drum it attaches to the drive. Loosen the big nut on the gyps and the chain will not move just the drum. The same way you loosen the Gyps to let the chain free fail. You use the drum to move the halyard

Sent from my iPhone

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

ANDY KOVACEVIC

May 18, 2018, 9:54:40 PM5/18/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks- seems simple enough

Glide2277

Jul 8, 2018, 10:42:34 PM7/8/18
to Beneteau Owners
I just pull a couple of feet of chain out by hand and then lift it off the chain grip (gypsy--stripper)...then let it fall well out of the way...if i want it really clean I remove the chain from the anchor and let it fall into the chain locker...my unsolicited  feeling is that I would be really reluctant to raise someone up with the windlass...