DAVID Fletcher

Jun 21, 2016, 7:50:03 PM6/21/16
to Beneteau Group

In a quest to have a smooth drive system I am replacing the engine mounts cutless bearing
 Resurfacing the coupler and checking the prop shaft for trueness.

I have discovered that the shaft has a bend of about .015".

Would anyone have experience on a bend like this. Would it create much of a vibration?

Any thoughts

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

ume...@comcast.net

Jun 22, 2016, 7:27:59 AM6/22/16
to beneteau-owners

Jun 22, 2016, 5:14:33 PM6/22/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Can your prop shop straighten it?  A yard bent my shaft in a travellift and the prop shop was able to straighten it.  Don't know how much the bend was.
Skip

DAVID Fletcher

Jun 22, 2016, 5:37:16 PM6/22/16
to Beneteau Group
Yes it  can be repaired. Just would li5ve to know if 15 thou gives much vibration

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

bungee.john

Jun 23, 2016, 5:23:00 PM6/23/16
to Beneteau Owners
If you have the drive train apart and the cutlass bearing is out I would pull the shaft and have it dealt too,but chasing .015 maybe a non event ,the old story if you don't do it and there is some vibration then you will kick yourself for not doing it while she is on the hard
Wouldn't think .015 would be an issue ?
But now you know it's there and after all the effort of doing the rest for peace of mind ,I would probably get it sorted ,,depends where the bend is ,maybe enough to wear the cutlass over hours of motoring
bungee

DAVID Fletcher

Jun 23, 2016, 7:16:14 PM6/23/16
to Beneteau Group
The shaft is out at a prop shop for professional alignment along with facing the coupler.

Hope with new engine mounts and a cutless bearing the drive runs smoothly.

Sent from my Samsung device