Remote Dock Lights

Michael B. Shapiro

Jul 5, 2016, 11:36:55 AM7/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Folks

Sorry for a completely off topic post, but I’m looking for some guidance.  I was out very late last night on a friend’s boat.  She cruises a lake that is populated by many homes.  She knows the waters well, but as she entered the bay where her dock is located, she hesitated.  When I asked why, she replied that she finds it difficult to find her dock amongst the many others.  It would seem that putting a few reflectors in a quickly discernable pattern is a simple way to solve that, but I also thought that some remotely controlled lights would be helpful for both locating the dock and docking.  If the dock was close to the house, I’d use WiFi controlled switches, however it is not.  The non-WiFi remote controlled outlets I’ve found only have a range of 60’, which really doesn’t help here.  Does anyone know of a solution with a 500’-1,000’ foot range that’s not WiFi based and affordable?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Mike

Michael B. Shapiro

mbsh...@bellsouth.net

S/V My Funny Valentine

Beneteau Moorings 38 #17

Schoen Fitzgerald

Jul 5, 2016, 4:30:23 PM7/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I use something like the light at the link. However, mine are white light and have a switch that has three positions: Off/On/Flashing. The are solar charged and come on at dark either in a constant on or flashing mode depending on how the switch is thrown. I got mine at Harbor Freight 6 pack was about $36 if I recall correctly. So, if you can find them, you could screw one or two to the end of the dock set to be flashing to set it apart from all the other constant ON white lights.

I use mine to put some light on the fingers of the dock so you can see where you are stepping after dark.

Good luck.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Jul 5, 2016, 4:31:24 PM7/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Schoen Fitzgerald

Jul 5, 2016, 4:45:05 PM7/5/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

JoeT

Jul 6, 2016, 12:33:25 PM7/6/16
to Beneteau Owners
The flashing lights sound great, until the neighbors catch on an do the same. Which flashing light am I aiming for?
I'd think the switchable light would be great, turn on the dock lights, and maybe a flashing colored light as well.

Is the 500-1000' range the range you want from the boat to dock, or house to dock? Either way requires a different solution. If the house is close enough to get wifi to the dock (might have to get some point to point antennas to do it) then usa a wifi switch to control the lights, but an x-10 phone control to get the commands from the boat via the cell phone.
Some things just aren't simple.

Joe T.
Regina del Seni
B343

Mark J Wilme

Jul 6, 2016, 12:52:49 PM7/6/16
to beneteau-owners
or us a wifi connection to a switch at the house and then run a low voltage cable down to the dock to power LED's.  as I recall and I may be wrong these do not need to be buried as deep under the lawn as would a 110v line and may not even need conduit.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

Ben Campbell

Jul 6, 2016, 1:39:58 PM7/6/16
to beneteau-owners
If the lighting solution becomes complex and/or expensive, it might be
worth considering an alternative approach. For example, is the house
visible from the water? Would a unique light at the house (e.g. a Hue or
Lifx set to an unusual color) be a good enough landmark to find the dock
against the background clutter?

Also, the prices on the Flir hand-held night-vision monoculars have come
way down.

Mark Stillwell

Jul 6, 2016, 2:08:04 PM7/6/16
to Beneteau-Owners
Have you considered setting way points on your GPS?

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393

Denny Wertheimer

Jul 6, 2016, 4:10:39 PM7/6/16
to Beneteau Group
For what it is worth, blinking lights, to me, near anything is generally distracting and blinding. Mark, i would press like but i don't see the button. Set some gps points, i would bet, that they are probably in there if you look at mob coordinates.
some grand kid hit that a couple of times at the dock

Denny Wertheimer

314-330-5001

Brian W

Jul 6, 2016, 8:01:32 PM7/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
The GPS idea sounds very interesting...a thought on the lights...is there a possibility that lights on the dock may be mistaken for navigation lights on buoys?
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

Jonathan B.

Jul 7, 2016, 10:25:08 AM7/7/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You might want to look at an RF control remote, instead.  Range is about 500-1000 meters, and you could turn the lights on and off on demand (no need for flashing, as you could watch to see lights go on/off).

Cheers,
Jonathan

S/V Callinectes