Companionway Key

Ben Campbell

Dec 7, 2016, 11:50:27 PM12/7/16
to Beneteau Owners
Hi All,

I've never made a habit of locking the companionway hatch on my Beneteau
31. My marina has good security, and there's not much on board worth
stealing other than some beer in the fridge. If someone steals the whole
boat, good luck to them getting past the one yard on the lake that has a
lift that can haul it. They know the boat, and they know it's the only
one of it's kind on the lake. (If there was another, they would have
launched it.)

But due to marina construction, I've had to move to a less secure part
of the marina. So I thought I would lock the hatch, for the first time
in apparently ever. And of course the key I have doesn't fit.

How would I go about getting a new key? Can Beneteau look it up from
from the hull number? There's a number on my key, but not on the lock,
so that doesn't really help.

I suppose it's also possible the lock is frozen. But if so, it's frozen
hard--it really feels like a wrong key.

Thanks!

Ben Campbell
2009 Beneteau 31 "Dancing Days"
Lewisville Lake, TX

Schoen Fitzgerald

Dec 7, 2016, 11:58:16 PM12/7/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
For my 310, I got extra keys from Beneteau, called Ward as I recall. My lock mechanism has a three digit number stamped on the outside.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

Ben Campbell

Dec 8, 2016, 12:01:32 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I checked for numbers, and didn't find one on the insider or outside.

The 31 has the slide-out-swing-down style hatch (like it's 34 and 37 siblings from the same time period), of that makes any difference.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Dec 8, 2016, 12:08:38 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Assume Beneteau has a means to get you a key if you give them the Hull Numbers. Or, a local locksmith makes a house call.

Mohammad Bayegan

Dec 8, 2016, 12:10:36 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If you have key and have not used it most likely the lock is frozen .  Spray the heck of it with WD40 let it penetrate well, then try the key back and forth a little
at time.
MARENGO B 49

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Ben Campbell

Dec 8, 2016, 12:26:59 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I already tried maclube. I wonder if a good soaking with WD40 to clean it, with a maclub followup after the WD40 evaporates would help.

I'm afraid to apply too much force, in case I really have the wrong key.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Dec 8, 2016, 12:39:16 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Also agree with MB on the idea of just working it easily rather than brute force. Again, assuming you have the correct key.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Dec 8, 2016, 12:41:16 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Is the lock mechanism easily removable such that you could take it off and take it to the local locksmith?

Becca Vitry

Dec 8, 2016, 7:37:07 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

When we wanted to get spare keys made for our 40cc, the local locksmith was not able to find any blank that would work.  Long story short, we had to order blanks from Beneteau, then take them to the locksmith to have them cut.  Our keys have “CAS” on the head of the key and were made in Italy.

Becca and Mark Vitry

S/V Windsong

Mark J Wilme

Dec 8, 2016, 8:03:27 AM12/8/16
to beneteau-owners
Us too

Ward sent us two key blanks (very reasonable price) and we had a local locksmith cut them form the best of our existing keys.  If you can avoid copying a worn key then do so.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

To: Beneteau Owners <beneteau-owners@googlegroups.com>

[...]

DAVID Fletcher

Dec 8, 2016, 8:21:28 AM12/8/16
to Beneteau Group
If your lock is the same as most it can be removed with four small nuts which hold the lock in place. The tamper proof bolts can be replaced sometimes they will turn and give up trouble. 5 minute job as the longest.

About 8 years the lock on my 400 would not move. I took it to a lock shop and they disassembled it and cleaned it up and moved a spring.

It works like a charm ever since.

I ordered a new one from Ward. still in the bag. Not cheap around 120 us $ as I recall.

As to the key blank . correct it is an odd European blank. some shops can cut one to work however it is not a common blank.

Good luck

Sent from my Samsung device
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Brian Smith

Dec 8, 2016, 9:10:15 AM12/8/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have a ’98 381 with the sliding companionway cover. I took the key to Ace Hardware and found a blank that mostly matched. It had an extra groove, but nothing that would get in the way. They cut keys for me there, and they’ve worked for many years.

Brian
Annapolis