Oceanis 352 Leans left

KennyT

Aug 7, 2017, 9:26:06 AM8/7/17
to Beneteau Owners
Why does my boat list to port when at anchor?

A friend tells me "they all do that" and another friend's 361 (same build year- 1999) seems to lean a little bit to port.

There's a water tank on port side aft but it is empty.  House batts (2- 4gm's) are mounted starboard aft.  Fuel tank is centered as is the forward water tank.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

mike_...@yahoo.com

Aug 7, 2017, 12:44:08 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Kenny, I have a 351 oceanis with a full length galley to port, 2-4D batteries and the start battery to starboard aft, and 50 gal water forward and  50 to port aft. The 50 g. water to port @ 6.7 lbs. / gal. = 335 lbs plus the galley apx. 350 lbs. ( freezer, stove, cabinets, is apx. 300 lbs. more than the starboard side with the batteries. I ran a plumb bob tied to the topping lift in order to see how many degrees to starboard and it was 1 to 2 degrees off. I emptied the aft tank and their was no change. I then equaled the chain locker to carry my 150 ft. of chain on both sides of the locker and that corrected the issue…0 deg.

Mike,

LaMer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Denny Wertheimer

Aug 7, 2017, 3:57:05 PM8/7/17
to Beneteau Group
i may be mistaken but a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds and at 50 gallons is 400+ pounds,
if i am wrong mea culpa.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM, mike_morsch via Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Denny Wertheimer

314-330-5001

Kidd, James

Aug 7, 2017, 4:03:04 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

My earlier 361 had the very same condition.

When one water tank was empty , it would tip to the heavier (Genset) side…and was quite noticeable at the dock, with my mast being out of parallel with others.

Must be the rounded bottom/hull design on this series.

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Schoen Fitzgerald

Aug 7, 2017, 5:21:16 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Old rhyme: A pint's a pound, the world around. Therefore, 8 pints a gallon = 8 pounds +/- Denny is more precise.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Denny Wertheimer <denny.we...@gmail.com> wrote:
i may be mistaken but a gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds and at 50 gallons is 400+ pounds,
if i am wrong mea culpa.

Bill Jarvis

Aug 7, 2017, 5:42:09 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Denny,

It all depends………on where you live.

In the Imperial system a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter and a gallon 10 pounds.

Bill

Ken Trottere

Aug 7, 2017, 7:07:39 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

thanks Mike- I carry a lot of chain as well.  It's hard to believe that weight in the bow could cause the list but I'll certainly check it.  I suspect it's the galley fixtures as well- a slight design flaw?  Filling the aft water tank will only make it worse.  BTW, I haven't been able to see access to that tank, do I have to empty the lazarette in the cockpit and remove a panel?

Just glad to hear it's not something unique to my boat- this is our first season with it.  So far, it's been awesome- we love it.

Best,
Kenny

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Paul Schwab

Aug 7, 2017, 9:22:21 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have a 352 ('99, hull 282). Ours has a slight list to port when empty. Fully loaded for cruising,  the list is pretty pronounced.

All the kitchen gear, refrigerator contents, lazzerette gear and the 50+ gallons of water in the aft tank weigh more than the house batteries/fuel tank/holding tank on the starboard side.

The aft water tank is accessed from the galley space. There is a storage space immediately inboard of the refrigerator. The bottom panel in this space lifts out and gives you direct access to the water tank.

One of our former 351 owners experienced the same list with his boat.

It's a design thing.

Paul
'99 Oceanis 352, #282
S/V Witchcraft

On Aug 7, 2017 6:07 PM, "Ken Trottere" <ken...@gmail.com> wrote:

thanks Mike- I carry a lot of chain as well.  It's hard to believe that weight in the bow could cause the list but I'll certainly check it.  I suspect it's the galley fixtures as well- a slight design flaw?  Filling the aft water tank will only make it worse.  BTW, I haven't been able to see access to that tank, do I have to empty the lazarette in the cockpit and remove a panel?

Just glad to hear it's not something unique to my boat- this is our first season with it.  So far, it's been awesome- we love it.

Best,
Kenny

Ken Trottere

Aug 7, 2017, 10:36:27 PM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. So, there's too much beer in my Fridge?  I can live with that. :)

Thanks for the tip on finding that tank. I thinks it's got a leak.

Glad to know it's "normal" for our boats. Not sure of my hull number but we must have been in the factory together...

Sent from my iPad
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Paul Schwab

Aug 8, 2017, 11:10:26 AM8/8/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have had to remove, clean and re-bed the vent, fill and water level fittings on both tanks as-well-as clean, lube and re-seat the clean out cover to resolve leaks that occurred while underway (sloshing) but didn't appear while in the slip.  All were relatively easy to reach with the acess panels removed.

I believe the rear tank is a complete unit while the forward tank appears to use the inner hull as the tank body with a plastic panel bedded on top with "silicone like" sealant. I did have a small section of that sealant fail and it would leak when completely filled of while underway (again sloshing).

Enjoy!

Paul Schwab

Aug 8, 2017, 11:20:58 AM8/8/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hull ID number "should" be BEY74???yyzz with ??? = hull number, yy = date of cert/man and zz = model year. Beneteau told me the "74" designates the hull as an Oceanis 352.

Ken Trottere

Aug 8, 2017, 11:50:23 AM8/8/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We are hull #273- pretty close...  I think they started building 361s in 1999 so we must be near the end of the run.

I'd love to keep in touch with you as things happen.  Last week I noticed a small drip from the raw water pump so I changed the impeller, o-ring and paper gasket.  Still had the drip so looked closer and now have a new Johnson pump on order.

Anything I should be watching for on the 352?

We are the fourth owners and he first two made a lot of improvements- larger DC panel, 2000 kw inverter, TV antenna, 100 amp alternator,gennaker, etc.

We sail out of Northport Harbor, NY.

Ken

DAVID Fletcher

Aug 9, 2017, 9:02:28 PM8/9/17