Selling advice

bill wagner

Jun 1, 2018, 1:45:06 PM6/1/18
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
I am selling my Oceanis 440 and would like some advice on the process.
I am fairly locked in to the Beneteau dealer where my boat is located on the hard.
However, there is another dealer (Catalina etc) around the corner and I could get the boat there at some cost.
What do I look for in terms of selling dealers services. What kind of advertising and effort can I require the dealer to put forth. Anything else I should look for in the contract.
Thanks
Bill

Sent from my iPad

Shelley Won

Jun 1, 2018, 2:05:20 PM6/1/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Sold my 50 in 2013 and used a beneteau dealer.  The dealers have access to buyers that normally you wouldn't know of.  It was a hard sell with an international buyer, but I had a price in mind & stuck to that.  In the end, the dealer lowered his commission to keep everyone happy so don't be afraid to put some pressure on the dealer to make it the deal you want.

Good luck, Shelley

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

William Arbaugh

Jun 1, 2018, 2:44:31 PM6/1/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
What are the typical broker commissions when selling?

Thanks, Bill

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 1, 2018, 2:57:48 PM6/1/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I sold a 400 one year ago in Florida.

In reality Yachtworld is the search engine everyone uses. It would be a dream if one had access to Yachtworld directly however only brokers can get list there.

In my case I asked about a reduction in the 10 percent if they sold the boat versus co brokerage. They said they weren’t interested however in the end they gave up 50% of the net commissions to another broker who had the buyer.

The paper work was done by my agent and she attended every showing and the sea trial. Won’t not move an inch if she sold it, in my view did all the work except write the offer and got 50%.

It is a little distasteful when the boat gets north of 100,000.

I don’t think many of them do much marketing or advertising save Annapolis Yacht Sails who always have adds in magazines. They are pros IMHO

In reality most wait for a buyer and all of us search Yachtworld looking for the boats. Boats seem to bought not sold.

By example, I just returned (today) from Florida after looking at three boats. I am of the view one of the big issues is an honest write up and lots of quality pictures on Yachtworld. In one case the listing broker said the boat was priced 30 to 35k to high. I knew that he knew that and I believe the buyer knows that. Crazy game

Boats do vary a lot in equipment and condition however price also is a key driver. Most of us think our boats are worth more than the market thinks.

Example I first looked a 473 on line at 175,000 13 months ago. It ended up getting reduced to 125,000 and then sold under a 100k. I drove from Canada to SC to look at her. The pictures looked like it needed TLC and when I got there it needed 60 to 80 in work. Good marketing, I think not.

Find someone with a good reputation, get good pictures, list all of the equipment (accurately ) and do a little research on some recent comparable sales they Yacht wizzard ( Yachtworld).

List fairly and stick to your guns. Just remember the market gets slimmer on 20 year old boats.

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Shelley Won

Jun 1, 2018, 3:21:19 PM6/1/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Typically 10% which leaves lots of room to negotiate.

bill wagner

Victor

Jun 2, 2018, 7:25:25 AM6/2/18
to Beneteau Owners
I used a beneteau dealer here in Annapolis in selling my 373 two years ago.  They have a leg up on all other brokers as they also have buyers who are interested in moving up or buying new (used).  They work both sides of the deal.  Yes the 10% charged is a lot of money but at least I felt it was worth it especially when you have a good broker who knows boats and can provide reasonable expectations and negotiations with the buyer.  I used Bob Oberg here in Annapolis.  Perhaps the commission is negotiable especially if it isn't split with another broker.

bill wagner

Jun 3, 2018, 5:08:14 PM6/3/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Selling my boat is very different then selling other items. I love my boat and still do. It is a magnificent vessel, beyond my wildest dreams. It is big (44ft), elegant, an a wonderful sailing ship with all types of amenities in great condition.
Between it's 4 electric winches and two big solar panels, it seemed my wife and I could sail forever, but the body wears down.
The crazy thing is, I want to sell my boat to someone who will love it and enjoy it as much as I did. How do you find such a buyer?
The boat is selling for much less then it is worth, but it doesn't matter, especially if I find the right person. I want to give away all the extra parts, hoses, motors and advice etc so that the new owner has a great experience.
Nothing More I can do, just wait and hope. Meanwhile, I keep varnishing, polishing and cleaning as if I were going to sail it again.
Bill
Sent from my iPad

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 3, 2018, 5:17:32 PM6/3/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Bill

Where is she located?

If it is a 440 does it have a PERKINS Prima ?

Good luck

I understand your thoughts and emotions.

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner

Jun 4, 2018, 6:47:04 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
She is located on Long Island

Sent from my iPad

bill wagner

Jun 4, 2018, 6:48:01 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
She is almost identical to 47 except she has one wheel.

Sent from my iPad

bill wagner

Jun 4, 2018, 6:57:23 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, she has a Perkins Prima. Excellent engine.

Sent from my iPad

bill wagner

Jun 4, 2018, 6:57:40 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
72 hp

Sent from my iPad

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 4, 2018, 8:46:14 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
What are your thoughts as to a fair value?

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner

Jun 4, 2018, 10:27:10 AM6/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I will list with broker for $97,000. Would sell without broker for $90,000.
I think it is work $120,000.

Sent from my iPad

DAVID FLETCHER

Jul 14, 2018, 3:59:19 PM7/14/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Bill

Is your boat the 440 just listed by Willis Marine on Long Island?

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner

Jul 14, 2018, 4:59:20 PM7/14/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Yes

Sent from my iPad

DAVID FLETCHER

Jul 15, 2018, 7:26:17 PM7/15/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
She looks nice. Should sell at that price

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner

Jul 15, 2018, 9:38:08 PM7/15/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, she is in great shape and I priced it to sell. No use over pricing and then paying for yard storage fees while waiting for a buyer.
Actually, the boat is in the perfect shape that I always tried to achieve while sailing it but never had the time to address every detail. New owner will get and excellent sailing boat in great condition.
Every once in a while I say "I could keep sailing her" but I know that isn't true.
Bill

Sent from my iPad

wewag...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2018, 7:49:33 PM7/18/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
HiFletch,
Looks like boat sold. Just survey and sea trial.
Somebody got a great boat at a great price.
Bill

Sent from my iPhone

Bruce Grissom

Jul 18, 2018, 8:16:39 PM7/18/18
to wewag...@gmail.com, benetea...@googlegroups.com
It's kind of difficult  to hear you talk about selling your B.  I sold my B40 with Annapolis and you never get her worth but the value of your boat really has no price. I'm selling my home of 25 years and it's similar. I'm moving to a great home in St Michaels but will be leaving behind so many memories. We used to sail the B to St Michaels many times which is why we're moving there. Best wishes. Breezy

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

DAVID FLETCHER

Jul 18, 2018, 8:53:04 PM7/18/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Bill

That didn’t take very little long. Hope you got the ask or very close to it.

Cheers

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner