has anyone replaced leaky Bene fixed windows with fiberglass?

Rob Oceanis

Mar 8, 2018, 2:28:04 PM3/8/18
to Beneteau Owners
The leaky fixed windows on my '87 Oceanis 350 are a design flaw without a solution at this point.

-I've rebedded them once (it worked for 1.5 years before they leaked again)
-the existing ones are now crazed and the starboard curved panel has a crack right through
-Beneteau does not have replacement glass or even a good recommendation

From what I can tell, my best bet is to use the existing panels as a mold for fiberglass inserts and go that route. Thinking maybe to fit two hatches into the fiberglass replacement area.

Has anyone done this? If so, any recommendations on doing the job properly without breaking the bank? (I love the boat but she's only worth so much)

Skip Ryan

Mar 8, 2018, 3:52:11 PM3/8/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I had a '87 390 with the same type of windows.  At the time I went through the project, Beneteau had replacement windows available on special order from France, but they were very expensive.  I took my old ones to a local plastics fabricator and had them duplicate them for a fraction of the cost.  I had tried all the recommended sealants, i.e., Sikaflex, Dow, etc., but the one that worked the best was GE SSG4000.  Being in Florida, I was experiencing expansion/contraction due to temperature and all the ones I tried could not handle the adhesion problems until I found the GE product.  Surface prep is also critical; it has to be clean.  Getting the curvature right on the corner windows is important.

Skip
Tampa

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rob Mayo

Mar 8, 2018, 4:02:52 PM3/8/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Skip, thanks so much for the advice. I'm in coastal NC and the temperature expansion/contraction is also the issue here.

If I can find a good local plastics fabricator I may try that route!  Definitely understand about the surface prep and adhesion.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

C&K05

Seduction

Mar 21, 2018, 7:44:42 PM3/21/18
to Beneteau Owners

Seduction

Mar 21, 2018, 7:50:25 PM3/21/18
to Beneteau Owners
Hi everyone I have a 1990  Oceanis 390 here in AUSTRALIA  and have wanted to replace my "crazed curved eyebrow" windows haveing much difficulty finding a plastic fabricator to do this job... big job to remove the existing windows :

Michael

Mar 25, 2018, 4:50:36 AM3/25/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I have and it needs to be done with patience and preparation. Most fabrication places will cut the windows but the main problem for me was that the windows on my 42s7 were 8mm and the fabricators use only 6 mm. I then used sika with a thousand cleaning clothes and still made a massive . apply the sika and mildly attach the windows . Let the sika go off and then fully tighten the screws holding these windows.

And finally ask Brendan Hunt

Mike Roper

own...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Seduction
Sent: Thursday, 22 March 2018 10:50 AM
To: Beneteau Owners <benetea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Beneteau Owners} Re: has anyone replaced leaky Bene fixed windows with fiberglass?

drdanj

Apr 4, 2018, 10:20:49 PM4/4/18
to Beneteau Owners
The local feloow who just rebedded the flat fixed windows on my '94 O400 guarantees they will last longer than I own the boat. No reason to fiberglass them.His work is highly recommended in the two local harbors, so I trust it will last. He also said NOT to use Sika, it does not hold up. I forgot to ask what he did use. I can find out.

He also says he knows a local fabricator here in Ventura County California whop does the curved windows for these types of boats. Too bad you're so far away.

drdanj

Apr 4, 2018, 10:21:59 PM4/4/18
to Beneteau Owners
I got a local pro to do mine. It was worth the $360.

Le Roy Van Valkenburg

Apr 4, 2018, 10:57:40 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Can we get the name of your contractor that did your work.   I’m in San Pedro, ca

Lee Van Valkenburg
NEW CELL

drdanj

Apr 5, 2018, 2:07:59 AM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Lee

I sent Steve your info.

Dan

Rob Oceanis

Apr 5, 2018, 5:51:31 AM4/5/18
to Beneteau Owners
Is it possible to get the name of the curved window fabricator?  It's actually not that expensive to ship these pieces via UPS or FedEx ground across the country.  Thanks-

drdan...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 12:57:11 PM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Steve Patterson here in Channel Islands Harbor (California) did my work, he just told me the company is American Plastics in Camarillo, CA. He also volunteered to mention his name for a discount.

https://americanplasticscorp.com/

Dan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rob Oceanis

Apr 5, 2018, 1:30:12 PM4/5/18
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks Dan - I'll contact them

Le Roy Van Valkenburg

Apr 5, 2018, 3:04:39 PM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thank you appreciate that DAN

Lee Van Valkenburg
NEW CELL

F2

Apr 9, 2018, 7:58:10 PM4/9/18
to Beneteau Owners
Skip,

Can you provide the name of the plastic s fabricator you used.  I live in Tampa as well and am need of replacing these windows on a F285.

Thanks,

Fred

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 3:52:11 PM UTC-5, sailorskip wrote:
[...]

From what I can tell, my best bet is to use the existing panels as a mold for fiberglass inserts and go that route. Thinking maybe to fit two hatches into the fiberglass replacement area.

Has anyone done this? If so, any recommendations on doing the job properly without breaking the bank? (I love the boat but she's only worth so much)

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Le Roy Van Valkenburg

Apr 9, 2018, 8:01:55 PM4/9/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dan had Steven Patterson of all hands on deck respond to my request his number 805-509-6222

Lee Van Valkenburg
NEW CELL

Skip Ryan

Apr 10, 2018, 12:34:02 AM4/10/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Plastics America on Adamo Drive in Tampa.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

F2

Apr 10, 2018, 7:54:10 PM4/10/18
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks!

Rob Oceanis

Jul 16, 2018, 9:15:46 PM7/16/18
to Beneteau Owners
So after studying the idea of fiberglasing in at least part of the wrapping tinted fixed windows, I found a plastics fabricator with a large enough oven to handle the job of replacing all the windows.  Sent my old windows to MAS Precision Plastics just outside Toronto, and they did a nice job molding new ones.  I saved money by driving up and picking them up, rather than having them crate and ship them.

Just installed them this past weekend - it's like I've got a new boat!  After years of fighting increasingly leaky windows, and everything that goes along with them (nav station water damage, floorboard finish damage, etc), the boat is now dry, and the windows are clear and beautiful.  This was not cheap - I paid a pretty penny for the windows.  But I also needed help on the install.  And having had bad experiences with "marina guys" at just about every boat job imaginable, I was determined to find someone with boatbuilding experience, specifically with installing plexi windows using Sikaflex. Luckily we have several boat manufacturers here in coastal NC, and I found the right folks who have done this type of job over and over, and could work with me on a side gig.  I paid for more labor than I expected, but received professional work that I couldn't have done myself. And now I know how to do it...next season will do the cabin ports!

bill wagner

Jul 17, 2018, 7:03:41 PM7/17/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I think it is possible to have a plexiglass one made. There is a guy named Tony in Norwalk that probably can do it if you can give him an old one. The fixed window can be successfully replaced.
The company is in Norwalk, Ct.

Bill Wagner

Sent from my iPad

bill wagner

Jul 17, 2018, 7:06:26 PM7/17/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
The company is Select Plastics in Norwalk,Ct

Sent from my iPad

Kidd, James

Kidd, James

Jul 18, 2018, 8:39:08 AM7/18/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Actually, let me clarify:
I did not use fiberglass.
Select Plastics fabricated the fixed ports using Lexan or whatever the original Beneteau material is.
Color matched perfectly.

Don’t know why you would use fiberglass..

James A Kidd

www.kaydonbearings.com

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rob Oceanis

Jul 18, 2018, 8:56:19 AM7/18/18
to Beneteau Owners
When I talked with Tony at Select Plastics about the fixed windows on my Oceanis 350, and gave him the measurements, he said that his oven was not big enough to make them.  (the Bene windows are plexi)   And since I could not locate anyone in the US to mold the windows, I contemplated fiberglasing the space in order to replace the molded windows with smaller windows (with less bending, less apt to leak). Hence my reason for making the original post.

But that solution looked expensive and in the meantime I found MAS Precision Plastics in Toronto, who were able to mold new windows using the old ones.  Hope that clears the thread up a bit.

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 8:39:08 AM UTC-4, james wrote:
Actually, let me clarify:
I did not use fiberglass.
Select Plastics fabricated the fixed ports using Lexan or whatever the original Beneteau material is.
Color matched perfectly.

Don’t know why you would use fiberglass..

James A Kidd

www.kaydonbearings.com

JeremySoCal

Aug 3, 2018, 1:41:13 PM8/3/18
to Beneteau Owners
I'm curious if anyone who has replaced these windows has attempted to through-bolt them with machine-thread bolts and perhaps even an exterior aluminum or stainless frame when replacing, rather than use just the four spaced-thread sheet-metal screws. When I first saw how those windows were attached on my boat, I chuckled and sighed, it's totally inadequate for a surface that you want to remain watertight at all times(like during some hull-flexing from thermal cycling or wave action). Based on how mine are attached (one small spaced-thread screw on each corner) leaks would seem to be a potential chronic issue with those windows, because they only screw them in to the fiberglass (which can flex) at the corners, they don't through-bolt them at regular intervals, and there's no frame to hold the shape against the hull.

Has anyone tried to beef-up how the windows are mechanically attached to the hull vs trying different sealants? I have not replaced mine yet, a previous owner did a nice job replacing them, but when I saw how they were attached, my mind began considering doing so just to prevent future leakage issues.

----- Jeremy
Southern California

Rob Oceanis

Aug 3, 2018, 1:55:55 PM8/3/18
to Beneteau Owners
The windows I replaced on my '87 Oceanis 350 wrap across the cabin (attached photo), and were originally installed without screws, bolts, or plates.  Don't let anybody through-bolt your windows, unless you want leaks and wet deck core.

Happy with the way to replacement windows have turned out!  Used Sikaflex and the Sika primer to bed them.
windows.jpg

Jeremy Young

Aug 3, 2018, 2:19:02 PM8/3/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Oh sorry, I somehow convinced myself the group was talking about the in-hull windows, not the in-deck windows, my apologies. But now that I know what this thread's about it's much more interesting.

----- Jeremy

Rob Oceanis

Aug 3, 2018, 2:32:20 PM8/3/18
to Beneteau Owners
I haven't touched those 4 in-hull windows with the little screws in the corners, since they look to be in good shape. But I assumed that they were also bedded at the factory with Sikaflex or some other strong adhesive.  That's what I would do with replacements.

Rob

Jim Hepburn

Aug 4, 2018, 2:56:48 AM8/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
There are plenty of companies who will remake curved perspex / acrylic windows used the original windows as templates. Here in the UK I just looked under  Plastic fabricators.
As for sealing, mastic tape was the original sealing compound used by Beneteau, mine has dried out long ago, so this is the major task this winter; all windows out replace and refit using original frames but  a silicone based sealer / adhesive gun applied method.

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Jim
07846030075