Steering quadrant rubbing on bracket

Conchita Too

Nov 9, 2017, 1:19:40 AM11/9/17
to Beneteau Owners
Hello all

1990 Beneteau 350; had hard steering. Finally got down on hands and knees to access stern panel for steering quadrant. Very tight. Seeing that quadrant is rubbing on bracket creating shavings. Cleaned up and lubed for now. A bit better. Here my questions; is this normal wear and tear? What to do to relieve the rubbing? Who is the manufacturer of the steering system?
Please see pics attached.

Thank you for any help!

Rudder-Quadrant (5).jpg
Rudder-Quadrant (6).jpg
Rudder-Quadrant (3).jpg
Rudder-Quadrant (2).jpg
Rudder-Quadrant (1).jpg

Conchita Too

Nov 21, 2017, 11:05:31 AM11/21/17
to Beneteau Owners
Anybody out there with a 350 steering problem or knowledge to fix?
Thanks
Message has been deleted

Conchita Too

Nov 27, 2017, 3:44:01 PM11/27/17
to Beneteau Owners
More pics. I think the main Delrin spacer at top of rudder stock has worn over the years and settled. Lifting a bit at the quadrant while moving steering back and forth gave me a bit of space. See pic. I also noted that the hose clamps at the bottom have slipped off. Is this the seal around shaft to keep the water out?
Any help appreciated!
IMG_20171126_145246511.jpg
IMG_20171126_145819906.jpg

Bill Jarvis

Nov 27, 2017, 4:26:46 PM11/27/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

It looks to me as if the orange colored material is a slightly conformable, kind of rubbery, material that is the seal and the two hose clamps are meant to be adjusted to act as a seal. That joint should be above the static waterline so that it only has to deal with a small amunt when the boat is heeled. The delrin, white washer is meant to stop the rudder from falling out of the boat when it is on the hard. It would be really easy to replace it as it is well above the waterline. When in the water the rudder should be wanting to float up into the boat and there should be a small gap between the delrin and the SS plate held onto the rudder shaft by the cotter pin.

If the rudder is not floating up it may have become waterlogged. If that is the case, and it is not unusual, it needs to be dried out and sealed.

Bill

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Conchita Too

Nov 29, 2017, 1:34:24 PM11/29/17
to Beneteau Owners
Thank you so much for your input.
Do you know what the rudder core is made out of on my 1990 350 Benny? Would it even have a tendency to float with the metal shaft installed?
There definitely is no gap between the stop and the Delrin washer when moored in calm water. I had to lift at the quadrant to get the gap shown in the picture. I guess I could remove rudder in place with a diver and plug the hole while I work on it drying out. Will move all equipment to the bow to lighten the stern.
Thanks again for posting!

Bill Jarvis

Nov 29, 2017, 4:14:43 PM11/29/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I’m sorry but I don’t know what the rudder shaft on your 1990 350 is made of. On my 1995 42s7 the shaft was a composite.

That tube from the bottom of the boat up to the seal should put the seal above the waterline.