Hot water

473 "Legato"

Jun 14, 2017, 11:43:30 AM6/14/17
to Beneteau Owners
I'm a new owner of a Oceanis 473. I put water in the holding tanks and after running the motor expected hot water but haven't gotten any. I ran the supply out of all the tanks, added more water and tried again and still no hot water. What am I not doing right?

Kidd, James

Jun 14, 2017, 11:51:26 AM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
First, the 473 has an 11 gallon tank...not the 6 gallon that smaller boats have, thus it takes longer to heat up.
Also, using that method of heating the water is very inefficient, and (in my 473) takes forever.
I can even motor 30 minutes to another harbor and the water is only a bit warmer.
The heat exchangers in the water tank must be too small...

I would suggest using your genset if you have one...(mine takes 20 minutes to get the water really hot).

If you don’t have one, the Honda 2000 portable generator is an option.

It’s a great boat!! Good luck.

James A Kidd
B 473
Adventure Galley
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

Mohammad Bayegan

Jun 14, 2017, 11:52:45 AM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You need to run the engine for a while before you get hot water. You probably want to check and see if the water heater still connected to the engine.
Marengo B 49

Jun 14, 2017, 12:04:34 PM6/14/17
to Beneteau Owners
Good info, thanks! I'm concerned that water is filling the electric AC hot water tank. Do I need to open a valve or connect a hose? I saw no valve, but I want to make sure I don't turn on the dockside water heater without water in it. Any suggestions? I have no genset so the honda generator would be an option. I see no disconnected hoses, but the whole system had pink antifreeze in it so I'm trying to flush it all out.

Kidd, James

Jun 14, 2017, 12:08:04 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
That tank is part of the pressurize system. Once you fill the tanks and As soon as you turn on your water pressure switch on your panel, that Hot water tank will fill up. You should now have pressurized water from your faucets. So run them and bleed out all of the air if there is any.

I just seem to think that these larger hot water tanks have two small of a heat exchanger to be effective

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:04 PM, 473 Legato <rbtm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good info, thanks! I'm concerned that water is filling the electric AC hot water tank. Do I need to open a valve or connect a hose? I saw no valve, but I want to make sure I don't turn on the dockside water heater without water in it. Any suggestions? I have no genset so the honda generator would be an option. I see no disconnected hoses, but the whole system had pink antifreeze in it so I'm trying to flush it all out.

Mark J Wilme

Jun 14, 2017, 12:14:50 PM6/14/17
to beneteau-owners
My EU2000i will not run the 110v water heater in my Oceannis 381 - it will go to full throttle and then trip the breaker.  Works fine on shore power.   I suspect the draw is too much

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Kidd, James <jk...@kaydon.com> wrote:
[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mark J Wilme

Jun 14, 2017, 12:15:55 PM6/14/17
to beneteau-owners
I would not heat the water until all the pink stuff is out (just run it through cold).  I just don't feel good about heating that stuff

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM, 473 "Legato" <rbtm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good info, thanks! I'm concerned that water is filling the electric AC hot water tank. Do I need to open a valve or connect a hose? I saw no valve, but I want to make sure I don't turn on the dockside water heater without water in it. Any suggestions? I have no genset so the honda generator would be an option. I see no disconnected hoses, but the whole system had pink antifreeze in it so I'm trying to flush it all out.
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

Jun 14, 2017, 12:20:48 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If you turn your faucet to hot and run the water till the pink liquid which is anti freeze are flushed out and clear water start coming out will indicate that your water heart is full of water.
Marengo B 49

Jun 14, 2017, 12:54:08 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
It's an awesome boat. I've had mine for eight years now. If you have any questions feel free...

James

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:51 PM, 473 Legato <rbtm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Excellent! Thanks for all the reassurance! I try all that when next I get aboard

Kidd, James

Jun 14, 2017, 2:26:33 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Mark,

Those standard water heaters only take 1500 watts, and the Honda 2000 I had on an older boat…it worked fine.

Is your water heater stock?

I’d love to have a more powerful element in mine…it would heat faster.

I have 8KW genset in my 473.

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

DAVID Fletcher

Jun 14, 2017, 2:32:55 PM6/14/17
to Beneteau Group
I believe I replaced my element on a Raritan with an 1800 watt element and it heated faster.

The elements are very generic

Mine came from Home Depot lot cheaper

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Kidd, James

Jun 14, 2017, 2:49:16 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Good to know…

That’s my next step!

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Mark J Wilme

Jun 14, 2017, 2:49:46 PM6/14/17
to beneteau-owners
I assume it is stock, never checked

I am also doing this from memory it has been a number of years since I did this and my memory isn't as good as it was. Perhaps the Honda was just racing at high rpm and I didn't like that being on a mooring with close neighbors.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

[...]

DAVID Fletcher

Jun 14, 2017, 3:01:40 PM6/14/17
to Beneteau Group
It should work ok with the Honda 2000

The heater is 1500 watts and Honda is 2000 with a surge above that.

Mine always worked well.

Is ypu heater a Raritan.

Suggest you might remove the cover and check the electrical fittings. They loosen and then build up heat due to a poor connection.  The plastic will melt and it can go to a dead or partial short

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Jun 14, 2017, 6:40:54 PM6/14/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If I run my engine for 30 minutes, I have hot water. I am not sure why mine might heat quicker than others, but it evidently does. If I used the genes it is just as quick.

Larry

Rick L

Jun 15, 2017, 6:23:07 AM6/15/17
to Beneteau Owners
Great boat! Make sure the unit has not been bypassed which may have ocurred during winterization. You will see a short jumper hose at the unit if this is the case.

rbtm...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 7:57:34 AM6/15/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll look for that too

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 6:23 AM, Rick L <rick....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Great boat! Make sure the unit has not been bypassed which may have ocurred during winterization. You will see a short jumper hose at the unit if this is the case.
>
> --
> Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
> ** members and growing.

> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Btbogdan46

Jun 16, 2017, 8:05:59 AM6/16/17
to Beneteau Owners
The hot water heater heats from two sources, electricity from the docks or hot water from the fresh water cooling from the engine. It takes approx. 1500 watts of power or more to heat from an electrical source. Your inverter probably can not create that much AC power when running the engine, there tripping the breaker. If your engine is not sending hot enough water to the water heater, then you don't get the transfer of heat to the water heater.

Johnny Ross

rbtm...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2017, 2:58:11 PM6/16/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I get strong flow, but not warm water. Maybe I need the engine to run a lot longer than I typically have run it. The water heater is original from 2005, so same age as your old one.
My last boat heated the water up very quickly, but the engine had cooling issues too. It ran a little hot especially in peak summer months when the water she was in was warmer

Sent from my iPhone
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com