AC condensate in 473 bilge

Kidd, James

Aug 29, 2016, 2:23:54 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I have noticed a large amount of what I believe is condensate from my AC units under my engine and transmission area.

I've been running my AC quite a bit more this year than previous years, as it's been so hot, but in the past I've never noticed this condensate.

Is something wrong?
Where does this condensate usually go?
I haven't climbed down to the area of the AC unit to see how things work back there but I'm just wondering if someone else has experienced this condition.

Thanks,

James

2004 B473
Adventure Galley

Sent from my iPhone

lawrence schneider

Aug 29, 2016, 3:39:55 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar issue (on a 423) two months ago after running the AC almost continuously -except when sailing - for two weeks. Never happened before or after.

Water was clear so I assumed it came from condensate rather than rain/deck leakage.

Dealer was puzzled but said it was most likely condensate.

Larry
Dragon3
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

Ben Campbell

Aug 29, 2016, 3:45:41 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My 31 came with a condensate pump that pumped the condensate tray via
the a/c cooling water output. It worked "fair" at best, and failed after
a couple of years. I was unable to find an exact replacement, but did
find a similar replacement pump, but have not gotten around to
installing it. Here in Texas, the a/c runs all summer.

If you never had the issue before, you might check the state of your
a/c's drip tray. Mine is composite, but some are steel and known to rust
out.

Ben Campbell
2009 Beneteau 31 "Dancing Days"
Lewisville Lake, TX

lawrence schneider

Aug 29, 2016, 3:54:13 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

lawrence schneider

Aug 29, 2016, 3:54:37 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

Good suggestion.

Thank you,

larry

From: "Kidd, James" <jk...@kaydon.com>
Sender: benetea...@googlegroups.com
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:23:51
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com<benetea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Beneteau Owners} AC condensate in 473 bilge

Kidd, James

Aug 29, 2016, 4:09:55 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, yes, I've changed those already as there was a leak there two years ago.
I've also noticed a lot of the plastic T fittings get cracks in them. This is no doubt because they are not installed properly
And they are under a bit of stress. Had issues there this spring.
This water seems to be funky smelling like mildew, and slightly yellow from sitting in the bilge for a while.
I guess I'll climb down in the back and check out my tray and condensate pump.

Thanks for the input

James A. Kidd

Kaydon Regional Manager
Northeast Office
617-448-2575
Jk...@Kaydon.com
Aug 29, 2016, 5:03:33 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
It is condensate. I had the same problem. Limber hole in the back is probably stopped up causing the condensate to overflow into the area you mention. I installed a pump in the back and put a T into the conduit scupper. Works great..

Larry Cost
s/v TraSea

Kidd, James

Aug 29, 2016, 5:09:05 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Larry,

What kind of a pump did you use? A small village pub with automatic switch?

James A. Kidd
Kaydon Regional Manager
Northeast Office
617-448-2575