Head odors - when flushing and in general

J.R. Peacock

Jul 18, 2016, 6:07:58 PM7/18/16
to Beneteau Owners
Hey All -

Hope the season is treating you well.

Have a 1997 Oceanis 351.

Two questions:
1. Realized last weekend that the boat was kicking out a decent sewage smell around the cockpit topside when someone would flush down below. Holding tank is only about 1/2 full so trying to figure out what gives as it usually isn't like that.
In the past we have had the vent get clogged. We took it off and spent a lot of time cleaning it 2 years ago and it seemed to help with some of our holding tank woes. Any tips on avoiding taking off the actual "clam" part? Is this symptom in line with a clogged vent?

2. I believe the hose coming from the head to the holding tank has never been changed out. I have read about that being a place for odor to come from. Is this an easy project to swap out? We are running on the great lakes and do not have it running to a thru hull out of the boat. The hose coming off now is black. Tonight I will be conducting the - clean cotton cloth test by putting it on to the tubes to see if it yields a smell.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated (as usual).

Thanks!

Mike Vazmina

Jul 18, 2016, 7:03:15 PM7/18/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

or or

Jul 18, 2016, 8:51:39 PM7/18/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Water displaces air in the holding tank during the flush and that air flows down wind as it exits the vent. That air does not have a lovely smell. Go to leeward when flushing or get over the brief odor that flows aft when going to windward during the pumping phase. I would tend to avoid an activated charcoal filter due the potential of it being fouled and plugged if a holding tank overflow should occur.

Or, you could pump directly overboard and avoid air pollution altogether. Keep it in the ambient water and stay out of the dingy during the flush ...

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

Jul 18, 2016, 9:10:30 PM7/18/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My 1998 411 forward holding tank couldn't be emptied by the pumpout service.  The vent hose (not the clam) had kinked after a long 18 years.  My big problem to replace the hose was the limited access to where the hose was connected to the "clam" fitting, but after the struggle to get it connected, it was very easy to connect it to the holding tank.  No need to remove the clam when the hose is removed  Not all the smell vanished, so I had the fuel dock pump water into the tank, and then pumped as much as possible from the tank.  It still smelled...  That's when good ole West Marine came in handy.  Bought a bottle of liquid holding tank "treatment" (deodorant), and generously added it to the tank.  Note:  Before I added the "treatment", I emptied about 2 gallons of fresh water a couple times.  Now the head odors smell a bit like the West Marine deodorant.
Howard
Marina del Rey (Los Angeles)

Sent from a real computer!

Brian W

Jul 19, 2016, 11:04:56 AM7/19/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We've started using the Raritan K.O. (kills odors) and the Raritan C.P. (cleans potties) and together they seem to do the trick in reducing odors. According to Raritan, you should use KO if you use CP - both are bacteria-based not chemical based. The "Headmistress" Peggie Hall recommends both in her book.
--
Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

J.R. Peacock

Jul 19, 2016, 4:25:02 PM7/19/16
to Beneteau Owners
All -

Thanks for the input.

Any tips on unclogging the vent?

Here is one more symptom I have had three times this summer which I don't know if it alludes to some other issue. When we go to do a pump out - holding tank in the most recent example was 3/4 full. I put the pumpout hose into the hole on the deck - turn it on and it sucks for about a half second then there is a blowback. Blowback in that the rubber tip of the pump out hose bounces out of the hole in the deck and then sprays the sewage in a nice 360 degree direction then it goes right back int.

Its quite lovely.

Anyway, any ideas on why that is happening? Is it just something to do with the specific pumpout machine or some way I am not using it correctly?

Thanks!

Mark J Wilme

Jul 19, 2016, 4:33:38 PM7/19/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Try using an adapter collar to create a mechanical lock at the deck fitting.

Also if your vents are blocked then you cannot get air in to replace the effluent you are pumping out. Suggest you unblock the vents.

Disconnect the vent hose from the clamshell fitting. Check if the gauze on the clamshell fitting is blocked and if so clean it - I would suggest compressed air or water, in moderation.

If the clamshell fitting is not blocked them use a plumbers fish tape to 'rod' the hose from the open end back to the tank. Overfilling the tank can cause excrement to block the hose at the tank end.

Hope this helps

Jeff Taylor

Jul 19, 2016, 5:19:24 PM7/19/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would think if your blowback is directly related to the fact that the vent is clogged.   So I went to Sears and bought a small cheap screwdriver something that was small but I was able to eat up with my propane torch and then bend the tip of the screwdriver to a 45° angle to reach inside the vent and tear the screen Benneteau uses as a vent. Dental pick will also work if you can find a used typically on eBay

Sent from my iPhone.
Jeff Taylor

Sailor Parker

Jul 20, 2016, 7:22:47 PM7/20/16
to Beneteau Owners
One word "Odorlos", works great.

83 First 42 TMLK

Jul 21, 2016, 10:29:00 AM7/21/16
to Beneteau Owners
   Make sure that you are detecting sewage leaking rather than hydrogen sulfide coming out of the seawater when you pump the head.

!!  Standing sea water in a hose naturally produces hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).  The only way to eliminate it is to use the head often (keeping water
moving) or change your head over to fresh water flush.   Cant Mitch, Marine Surveryor.