Oceanis 351 - 20 Year Maintenance?

J.R. Peacock

Apr 26, 2016, 11:25:43 AM4/26/16
to Beneteau Owners
Hey Everyone!

Hope you have had some nice weather lately and smooth sailing. Up here in Chicago we have had a couple of days lately to get the juices really flowing to be out on the lake.

Completed the yearly pre-splash maintenance this past weekend and have decided I need to do some research and spend some time and money on what some future maintenance should be for my 1997 Oceanis 351.

What I am trying to assess is what I need to be thinking about from a 20 year (actually 19) year maintenance perspective. I have co-owned the boat for 9 seasons. We have completed a number of smaller projects - diligent vc17, yearly compound (when needed)/polish/waxing of the hull, updating some electrical here and there, usual head maintenance, changed out porthole seals, resealed a hatch, updated some old handrails, yearly oil changes and a couple other cosmetic things.

The boat has only been sailed in Freshwater.

My question for you is what other items should I be thinking about / having someone inspect / repair.  Right now we have not unstepped/inspected the mast since we have owned it so that is going to most likely be the first thing that happens this summer.

What about the motor? Do I need to have a full servicing completed? She runs great aside from a starter issue (which we forumed out an answer too last summer).

What about diesel tank maintenance? We leave it topped off in the winter and have added the stabilizer on a couple of occasions.

Sorry for the long post. I searched and looked around fo a similar post but only found bits here and there. If there is a good starting point I missed please let me know and I will take this down!

Thanks in advance for any tips / advice!

J.R. Peacock

Apr 26, 2016, 11:30:54 AM4/26/16
to Beneteau Owners
All -

Couple other things I just thought about:

- Have kept up with some fiberglass work on the hull when repairs were needed but the cockpit nonskid is starting to spiderweb here and there - Any options to slow this?
- Sails are in fine shape but the head roller furling needs a tune.
- Water system is working well.
- have replaced batteries as needed.
- Sometimes when we push the motor into reverse we get a big plume of black smoke - never thoguht this could be good. Is this a sign of something that needs inspection?

Mark J Wilme

Apr 26, 2016, 11:46:26 AM4/26/16
to beneteau-owners
Have you checked the keel bolts ?

How many hours on the engine? do you know what maintenance has been performed on it (belts, hoses, injectors etc)

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Michael Elliott

Apr 26, 2016, 1:05:44 PM4/26/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would also consider checking the steering cables and pulleys and also lube the pulley bearings

Michael Elliott

Mark J Wilme

Apr 26, 2016, 1:11:01 PM4/26/16
to beneteau-owners
How frequently do you check your thru hulls? we sail ours in salt water and replaced them all at 15 years

Also whilst we are talking about he rig you might want to check your standing rigging and use that special dye to look for hairline cracks - and check your chain plates too

Regarding fuel stabilizer - we add it all the time, every time we fill the tanks.     Can I assume that in addition to changing the oil that you do mention that you also change the fuel filters (primary and secondary)

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

J.R. Peacock

Apr 26, 2016, 2:42:41 PM4/26/16
to Beneteau Owners
All -

Thanks for the responses so far! I will preface this with I am somewhat sailboat handy. As in I can read a manual, watch a youtube video, or spend 100s of hours cruising forums to find people with similar problems to see how they fixed. However, I have learned when to hand off to the pros so if you have input on how easy / hard a service would be I would love to hear.

Will line item them and answer the best I can:

  • Have you checked the keel bolts ? -
    • I have not - is this something that has to be done out of the water? Can I do myself or hire a professional? Seems like an out of water professional sort of deal.
  • How many hours on the engine? do you know what maintenance has been performed on it (belts, hoses, injectors etc) -
    • About 1400. Had the belts replaced I think two summers ago. Other than that not sure.
  • I would also consider checking the steering cables and pulleys and also lube the pulley bearings -
    • Great - thank you. Can I do myself or hire a professional?
  • How frequently do you check your thru hulls? we sail ours in salt water and replaced them all at 15 years -
    • Have never checked aside from the 1-2 we knew were causing some issues.
  • Also whilst we are talking about he rig you might want to check your standing rigging and use that special dye to look for hairline cracks - and check your chain plates too -
    • Great! This is one I might have the guys at the yard check.
  • Regarding fuel stabilizer - we add it all the time, every time we fill the tanks.    -
    • Seems like a great habit to get into.  Putting into the routine this summer. One question - do we need to worry about any lingering bacteria / other crud in there? Or will adding this every time eventually break whatever is in there up and work its way out?
  • Can I assume that in addition to changing the oil that you do mention that you also change the fuel filters (primary and secondary) -
    • These have been changed I think within the last two summers.
Thanks so much everyone!

J.R.

Mark J Wilme

Apr 26, 2016, 3:15:00 PM4/26/16
to beneteau-owners
I have not - is this something that has to be done out of the water? Can I do myself or hire a professional? Seems like an out of water professional sort of deal. "

Checking is something you can do yourself, I do mine in the water.  I remove one nut at at a time and inspect the threads for corrosion and the seam for cracking and then replace that one bolt.  I have used but don't always use new nuts. as I recall they are fairly big, maybe 1 1/16" or something and Need a deep socket and an extension bar to torque them.  I don't have it bookmarked but there was a post on this forum I think.   Replacing is something best left to the proffessionals.

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com