Happy Holidays

aum...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2016, 1:55:41 PM12/25/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Happy Holidays list.
Anybody out there who can share information/experience on "Iridium Pilot Satellite"? It sounds like a pretty decent internet connection with compression software.

Heaven Can Wait

Sent from my iPad

Rick L

Dec 26, 2016, 9:29:48 AM12/26/16
to Beneteau Owners
Hi Uwe-

Hope you are having a great holiday.

I used the Iridium GO during the Annapolis to Bermuda Race - it worked well.

This unit is a hot spot that allows up to 5 users to connect with their iPhone, iPad or Android device.  Very convenient as it acts juts like a smart phone (with specific apps you use).

In my case, I used a small GPS style "button" antenna to improve performance a bit (bought on line from third party companies for a good price - about $50).

This was all a temporary set-up.  For something more permanent, Iridium makes a fixed antenna kit.

I found that voice calls and text worked very well.  E mail also worked well and I was able to pull down GRIB files and NOAA weather maps.  Even sent out a picture or two.

As far as I know, the Iridium data rate is 9.6 kbps so I am not sure where the Pilot is getting 130 kbps plus - may be the bigger antenna or they are stating an equivalent thruput rate assuming compression.

I think you can pick up an Iridium Go plus hard mount antenna for about $1000.

Rick
S/V Celerity
2003 Beneteau 473

Uwe Mewes

Dec 27, 2016, 9:32:41 AM12/27/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Great information. Thanks Rick.

Sent from my iPad
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.